FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

freezing when playing 4 toons in lotro

Moderator: MiRai

<<

ecgric

Post Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:16 pm

Re: freezing when playing 4 toons in lotro

Ok so after some trial and error it seems at 1333MHZ at 8-8-8-24 timings all is well. I can play 4 toons with no freezing. Played 5 hours today not a single hiccup.. Thanks to all for the ideas.
<<

SilentSpace

Post Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:12 am

So running 4 clients of Lotro on a PC is the best stress test for a PC. :D
Windows 7 x64
Intel 2600k, 16 GB RAM, EVGA 580SC, ADATA SSD 120GB
Lotro, Riders of Rohan, German Server
<<

ecgric

Post Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:02 pm

just a update I can play 5 toons with this set up as well.
<<

ecgric

Post Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:32 pm

ok so update time...after playing 5 toons I now want to do 6 but my PC freezes before all 6 get loaded.. I am not over clocking I have tried even lower memory settings . Anyone have any other advice to get me to the magic number ? I have tried using 2 PC's but the performance was so bad it was unplayable. I know its just a matter of tweaking but not sure what to do. I believe my hardware is listed on the previous page for any interested in helping my solve this dilemma.
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:30 am

Try switching LOTRO to DirectX11 mode, this requires the dev build of Inner Space. Between the two (dev build and DirectX11) this might solve your problem. See http://isboxer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=774
<<

ecgric

Post Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:51 pm

Thanks for the response Lax, but I been running 11 since u put support in for it. I have tweaked my PC a little and can run 6 but it still intermittently freezes but its better then it was. Funny thing is I can run instances( with no freezing) with 6 but going into populated areas like 21st hall is where I seem to freeze most of the time.
<<

Trae

Post Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:29 pm

ecgric wrote:Thanks for the response Lax, but I been running 11 since u put support in for it. I have tweaked my PC a little and can run 6 but it still intermittently freezes but its better then it was. Funny thing is I can run instances( with no freezing) with 6 but going into populated areas like 21st hall is where I seem to freeze most of the time.

There's a setting in options to restict the impact of crowds, have you played with that?
<<

ecgric

Post Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:13 am

Well I played for 2 hours last night ( all instance running) did not freeze once. I played with PC settings some more and disabled some in game graphics settings. Gonna run through some high populations and see what happens tonight.
<<

ecgric

Post Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:42 pm

Well I don't understand. I can play instances all night and not 1 lock up. I can't go around any area without locking up if I am not in a instance. Would love some ideas. I played 4 hours last night ALL instance stuff. Not one lock up. I tried to do volume 3 book 1 and I locked up 4 times in a hour. Most of it just running around talking to NPC's. I have tried all kinds of different settings. Nothing works. Also now it locks up just 5 boxing and it hasn't done that since I first started this thread and lowered my memory timings and speed. Something changed and I have no idea what.
<<

monkeysuncle2007

Post Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:58 am

I six box LOTRO, and have been doing so since right after closed beta, I've boxed a lot of different ways from hardware solutions (multiple PC's) to IS Boxer. I find LOTRO to be a memory hog, figure for one client you'll use 1-1.5 gbs of RAM. This is a pretty good stress test for your memory. As you said you clocked your RAM speed down, you can probably clock it back to 1600... I'm assuming you're running OCZ, G-Skill or Corsair? What brand of motherboard are you running? You can tyr to reflashing Bios to the latest revision. I update my Bios once a month or so on an EVGA board, although I would say careful when updating Bios with some boards.

Also as previously mentioned see if you can find the drivers for the SSD drive rather then using the default W7 drivers. Another thing the GTX 480 cards run hot on load, you said that your machine locks up upon entering crowded areas such as 21st or Michel Delving, sounds like your GPU may be overheating causing a driver crash and then ultimate client failure. If you download and install Nvidia's System tools it will allow to set up fan speed profiles or just manually set the GPU fan speed to a static setting. (http://www.nvidia.com/object/nvidia_sys ... _6.06.html)< latest version. When you install this it will add all the shortcuts into the Nvidia control panel accessed via right click desktop Nvidia control panel, Device settings.

If your video card is a EVGA card you can go to their website register or login and dowload EVGA Precision. Its sort of like the Nvidia system tools but more indepth and I believe more intuitive. Its what I use for my tri Sli GTX 470's.

System specs sort of similar to your's.

EVGA X58 Extreme SLI E Mother Board
Intel Xeon W5580 3.2ghz
12gb OCZ gold DDR3 1600mhz RAM
3x Tri Sli GTX 470's EVGA
Corsair 1000w PSU
PreviousNext

Return to Lord of the Rings Online