FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

freezing when playing 4 toons in lotro

Moderator: MiRai

<<

ecgric

Post Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:53 pm

freezing when playing 4 toons in lotro

I was just wondering if anyone had a idea why my pc freezes randomly when multiboxing 4 toons but not 3 ? My system should be able to handle 4 easily specs are as follows :
Core I7 930
12GB DDR3 - 1600
120GB SSD - OCZ Agility 2
MSI-GTX480
Silverstone 1000W PSU
Cooler master HAF case w/3 200mm fans for air flow
Windows 7 64bit

I am not overclocking any components and have a aftermarket cooler on my cpu..temps never get above 50c and like I said I can box 3 all day with no problems but 4 freezes randomly. Any ideas would be appreciated. I thought about just trying it with 2 PCs instead but kinda intimidated with the set up for that.
Last edited by ecgric on Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:57 am

Re: freezing when playing 4 toons in lotro

I would guess that it's probably video card related, and could possibly be solved by a video driver update (or downgrade?) if you haven't tried that yet.

But, it could also potentially be from bad RAM or possibly SSD drivers (particularly if using a different folder per account, which you don't need or want to do if you are not already).

Hard to say for sure with this type of problem. You can try checking the Windows event log (under the Administrator control panel I think) and it MIGHT have a hint
<<

ecgric

Post Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:52 am

Thanks for the reply Lax. First I never loaded any SSD drivers just using whatever is in Windows 7. I am going to try the lastest video drivers. Just kinda funny I have no problems until I try to run 4 toons, And no I am only using 1 Lotro folder as I have the "-usetdm" command installed to only need 1 folder.
<<

ecgric

Post Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:38 pm

Ok so Lax I updated the video driver..still hangs. I checked the event log. It says Lotroclient.exe - application hang. I have no idea why this only happens when running 4 instances. Should I try uninstalling - reinstalling the program? Any help/ideas would be appreciated. I also had my resource monitor up when this happened cause I wanted to see how much memory I was using. Out of the 12GB I was using 6GB and had almost 6GB free.
<<

SilentSpace

Post Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:03 am

I had this problem during overclocking. After a while I found good settings and I don't have any problems anymore. But I have read that you don't overclock so it might be an hardware or cooling problem because 4 clients is a good load for cpu, gpu and memory.

Edit:
Maybe you try to run your memory with a lower frequency. For example instead of 1066 Mhz with 800 MHz.
Last edited by SilentSpace on Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Windows 7 x64
Intel 2600k, 16 GB RAM, EVGA 580SC, ADATA SSD 120GB
Lotro, Riders of Rohan, German Server
<<

ecgric

Post Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:47 pm

Ok so just to try to isolate this problem I ran memtest for 3.5 hours with no errors. I also ran 50 passes of Intel burn test on "High" stress level. Also passed with no errors. As I said before I am not overclocking and I have very good air cooling. I don't think this is a hardware problem. Anyone think my SSD is the problem. Should I try installing lotro on my secondary hard drive ? Not sure as to whether that will make a difference or not? Lax could it be something in the way I have Innerspace or ISBoxer set up with that particular set of toons ? Really would like to fix this because it kinda defeats the purpose of multiboxing if I can't run more then 3 toons. Again any help is greatly appreciated.
<<

SilentSpace

Post Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:49 am

ecgric wrote:Ok so just to try to isolate this problem I ran memtest for 3.5 hours with no errors. I also ran 50 passes of Intel burn test on "High" stress level. Also passed with no errors. As I said before I am not overclocking and I have very good air cooling.

I can only write what happend to me. Memtest and all other stress test worked fine for hours. Playing Lotro with three clients worked fine. Only playing with 4 clients I had a problem that after a while I got the message "lotro client dosen't work anymore". I reduced my memory frequency and changed some other settings and it's working fine. I hadn't any crashes anymore.
So maybe you should give it a try and reduce your memory speed.
Last edited by SilentSpace on Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Windows 7 x64
<<

ecgric

Post Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:14 pm

Well I have PC3 12800 memory and its rated to run at 1600 MHZ. I will back it down to 1066 and see if it makes a difference.
<<

SilentSpace

Post Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:39 am

ecgric wrote:Well I have PC3 12800 memory and its rated to run at 1600 MHZ. I will back it down to 1066 and see if it makes a difference.

If it works you should have a look to get some infos about your RAM . Maybe you have only to change the DRAM Voltage or some other settings to run them with 1600 MHz.
Windows 7 x64
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:28 am

Lax could it be something in the way I have Innerspace or ISBoxer set up with that particular set of toons ?

Sorry for the late response here. No, there's not something with the IS/ISBoxer setup that you can change to solve this problem.

It does sound like you're on the right track as far as configuring your hardware. I hate that RAM would ever require this sort of tweaking :shock:
Next

Return to Lord of the Rings Online