FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

"Lotro is already running"

Moderator: MiRai

<<

yaminmuyal

Post Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:19 pm

"Lotro is already running"

Multiboxing with IsBoxer always worked fine, but now I'm trying to add a new character to an exisiting character set and it is not working.

The character set has 3 characters and works normally. After adding a 4th guy, when I launch the set the 3 old chars log in successfully but when it gets to the new one, after login Lotro launcher says "Lotro is already running" enables a "Bring to Front" button very briefly and shuts down.

I tried to create this new character in several different ways: by just selecting New Character, by copying an existing character, by adding it to the existing (and working character set) or even by creating a new character set. Also double checked things like "make game believe it is foreground" or that the Launcher is configured to not go to system tray and all seems ok.

Investingating further, I created an entirely new Character Set by running the Quick Setup Wizard, but now when I login the very first character Lotro launcher complains "Lotro is already running"... Not even the quick Setup wizard seems to work to create a new character.

I'm puzzled... Old Character Sets work as usual, adding new characters doesn't. If anyone has any ideas, I would be most thankful
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:04 pm

Re: "Lotro is already running"

Odd.

One thing we discovered recently, which may or may not be relevant in this case, I have no idea... is that when you first sign up for LOTRO, the downloader it gives you is from Happy Cloud and apparently doesn't work correctly with ISBoxer. However, when you go to download the client separately, it gives you a different "normal" download that does work correctly with ISBoxer. Might it be possible that you have more than one LOTRO installation, and Inner Space has both of them "Added", and ISBoxer is pointing at a different one than it's supposed to?

Either way this sounds like a new issue for LOTRO, and I haven't heard of any problem like this from the LOTRO veterans around here.
<<

yaminmuyal

Post Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:41 pm

Hi, thanks for answering.

Unfortunately I have just one Lord of the Rings installation. Used to have a Beta release also, but not anymore. Also, I tried to check Inner Space's Configuration - Game Configuration - Lord of the Rings Online default profile points to the right path and actually, well, there is just one profile anyway that is used by all characters and character sets.

I was playing heavily with isBoxer and lotro and all was working and IsBoxer is very good. This problem started after last expansion pack Riders of Rohan was released. Maybe there is indeed a new issue with it, i don't know.

The fact is that the character sets i had continue to work and I keep adding new keys, etc. to them. Adding new characters or even creating a new character set (with just one toon for instance) with the Quick Setup Wizard doesn't work...
<<

AmazingBender

Post Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:15 am

have you checked the settings that its not set to auto-update the client?

I also had to do this:

1. Go to your game folder's directory
2. In there is a folder called Patches
3. Copy the contents of Patches
4. Paste them into your game folder.

So, if I installed LOTRO to C:\Games\Turbine\The Lord of the Rings Online I copy the contents from
C:\Games\Turbine\The Lord of the Rings Online\Patches
to
C:\Games\Turbine\The Lord of the Rings Online

You will have to overwrite existing content. You may get an error that some files or folders are in use, especially if you tried to start playing. If so... reboot first
<<

yaminmuyal

Post Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:51 pm

Hi, thanks for you suggestions.

I checked the Update Settings in the Launcher's Options and all 3 checkboxes are disabled. Also in the Advanced tab, the Show launcher in the system tray checkbox is disabled.

About the Patches folder, for me, this folder is empty.
<<

Sheriziya

Post Wed May 08, 2013 12:23 pm

Hi All,

I'm new here. Since the topic is "Lotro is already running" I thought I'd post my problem here. I hope you don't consider it hijacking the thread :)
I also get the message "Lotro is already running" when the second client needs to start. I've got a new computer and did a clean install of Lotro yesterday. I didn't "play instantly", but simply downloaded everything first and then installed it. I didn't have a character set or anything just yet, so I guess that's where my situation differs from the OP.
I have Windows 8. I have checked the update settings in the launcher's options and, like with the OP, all checkboxes are disabled. Show launcher in the system tray is also disabled.
Nothing in the patch folders either.

However, I found something strange with the launcher options. When innerspace lanches the 2nd launcher, the options are changed:
Retrieve updates automatically, show in system tray are all checked. And I didn't change a thing.

Is this why I get the message "Lotro is already running"?

I hope you can help with this, otherwise this software will be useless for me.

Thanks for the help.

ETA:
I've also checked the settings in launcherusersettings.xml and they are as followed:
Code:
  <LauncherOptions>
    <option key="enableSystemTray" value="False" />
    <option key="remainLoggedIn" value="False" />
    <option key="allowSystemInfoStats" value="False" />
    <option key="showNews" value="True" />
    <option key="splashForm" value="True" />
    <option key="immediateDownload" value="False" />
    <option key="stopUpdateTime" value="5:45:00 AM" />
    <option key="MainForm.RunInTrayPrompted" value="False" />
    <option key="minimizeToSystemTray" value="False" />
    <option key="timedUpdate" value="True" />
    <option key="showTooltips" value="True" />
    <option key="loadAtStartup" value="False" />
    <option key="SelectLastPlayedWorld" value="True" />
    <option key="movieReminder" value="True" />
    <option key="MainForm.MinimizedPrompted" value="False" />
    <option key="MainForm.LookHereShown" value="False" />
    <option key="MainForm.Location.Full" value="{X=-32768,Y=-32768}" />
    <option key="MainForm.Location.Compact" value="{X=-32768,Y=-32768}" />
    <option key="limitBandwidth" value="False" />
    <option key="askBeforeDownload" value="False" />
    <option key="MainForm.Mode.Compact" value="False" />
    <option key="doubleClickTrayIconAction" value="0" />
    <option key="startUpdateTime" value="9:05:00 AM" />
    <option key="NewsForm.Location" value="{X=-32768,Y=-32768}" />
    <option key="cultureName" value="" />
    <option key="autoUpdate" value="False" />
    <option key="PurchaseForm.Location" value="{X=-32768,Y=-32768}" />
    <option key="autoUpdateFrequency" value="14400000" />
    <option key="downloadLimit" value="0" />
  </LauncherOptions>

I hope that's helpful in solving this problem :)

ETA2:
Okay, I've been playing around again and here's what I found:
Somehow, even though my standard options had the "Retrieve update auto" and "Show launcher in system tray" disabled, they were enabled again with each new loading of the client. When I disabled them again before logging in, I didn't get message "Lotro is already running". Also, for some reason once you've disabled them, they'll stay disabled the next time you log in with the same account. It's weird......

I hope that was helpful in solving the root cause :)

Regards,
Sheriziya
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Wed May 08, 2013 5:52 pm

Inner Space build 5819 corrects this issue with the Virtual File. Close and restart Inner Space (and any games it has open) to allow it to patch up :)

Return to Lord of the Rings Online