Siege of Mirkwood doesn't like Innerspace/ISBoxer

Moderator: MiRai

<<

creo

ISBoxer Expert

Post Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:54 pm

Re: Siege of Mirkwood doesn't like Innerspace/ISBoxer

Ok,

I have tested the dev build on 2 systems (both XP 32 bit) and after making multiple copies of the game folder I am able to launch my character set which brings up 3 instances of LOTRO.

I have 2 anomalies as it stands now. One, is that when I switch to another app or another game instance and a game is switched to a sub window in my window layout, the game is not being scaled actively into the sub window. What I see initially is a corner of what was the larger screen being drawn into the sub region, but if I drag a window across the area, it leave remnants of the dragged window over the area and the game graphics are lost. Some times when switching, there is no game graphics drawn to the sub window and I still see the desktop. However, dragging another window across the area leaves artifacts and is not being refreshed actively to game content.

Also, when I switch to the game, the cursor is being translated up into the main region and not staying positioned over the sub region. This may be by design for the new dev build, but I have not seen any comments indicating this behavior so it was unexpected...

But, I can at least start my character set and run in a limited fashion at this point, so progress is a good thing.

Cheers,

creo
Last edited by creo on Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Nonpareil

Post Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:00 am

Howdy:

Awesome, lax, that did the trick. I have one small problem that seems to be layout-related, but otherwise I'm back in business.

If you can fix this or tell me what I screwed up (and how to fix it), that would be cool, but if not, I can live with it.

Before the expansion, each of my two computers would have 3 LotRO's running on them with what is probably the "standard" layout: top 75% of the screen is the active character, bottom 25% of the screen is divided into 3 thirds, one for each character, the active character shows the desktop through its third. The other two inactive character thirds show those characters with the screen animated, that is, like a little mini-screen, not frozen or anything.

Now, the inactive character third "screens" are frozen. Also, whenever I switch to a different character, its viewpoint usually becomes birdseye, although it can sometimes become a little angled for a few times and then becomes birdseye. When leaving a character, the frozen view becomes the top upper left of the view just before leaving that character.

I definitely didn't change any layout stuff at all in the ISBoxer Suite Toolkit. I did (foolishly) change window dimensions (when I was doing stuff on single characters without using Innerspace/ISBoxer). It wouldn't surprise me if this somehow screwed things up.

The nice thing about the little mini-screens was that I could see if mobs were attacking other characters, I could see deed achievements, I could be sure that everyone was completing their quests appropriately, etc. It would kind of suck to lose that, but not a showstopper.

If this rings any bells for obvious things I may have done wrong, that'd be awesome of course.

[Addition: Just saw Creo's post, so pretty much same as that. I forgot about the mouse relative repositioning thing. Yah, that's kind of annoying.]
<<

Xtremepayne

Post Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:52 am

I just tried the developmental build and I also am having the windows layout issue. IS1 lays out like it should but when I launch the next 2 the layouts is not going to the 2nd monitor in 1/4 the screen. Instead it just lays out over the first IS. At least its launching now.
<<

Methan

Post Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:32 am

hi

sorry, but 5070 didn't fix the silent crash once lotro "examines game data".
I even uninstalled and reinstalled .NET framework as you advised.
still the problem only exists on my XP 32bit system. vista 64 works fine for me.
<<

tony0311

Post Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:29 pm

lax wrote:
tony0311 wrote:I am setting up a friends machine (XP) and am having a slightly different problem. I have seperate folders for LOTRO instances and am using the Development Patches. I use the same config on my machine (Vista).

When you launch LOTRO through Inner Space, The splash screen appears and gets to "Getting data centers" then a popup "Setup Error: Failed to load resources from resource file. Please check your setup". This does not happen when launched normally.

Thanks for your help.

This happened to me on one XP machine that had a broken installation of .NET. See https://lotrosupport.codemasters.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=5079&nav=0,67

I uninstalled and re-installed .NET 1.1 and 1.1 SP1, but am still getting the above error when launching the game from Inner Space.
<<

creo

ISBoxer Expert

Post Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:52 pm

Ok, for those that do not have enough disk space to have 3 or 4 copies of LOTRO laying around here is a little tidbit that may be of interest:

If you add "-usetdm" as an argument to running TurbineLauncher when you setup your game profile in IS, it does not check for updates and therefore does not care about running multiple instances. I have tested this and it did allow me to run multiple game instances from a single directory on XP 32bit.

The other upside is that the launcher gets to the login screen very quickly since it bypasses all the update checks. However, you will need to run the launcher the normal way periodically to check for and download updates for the game...

Cheers,

creo
<<

faelan

Post Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:28 pm

Thank you creo, that was the answer I needed, I put "-usetdm" as parameter and presto! thanks again, happy to get back to multiboxing, and not needing to make copies of that 12GB folder is quite nice indeed.
<<

chuvakuhn

Post Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:59 pm

Thanks for the '-usetdm' tip, Creo. At least now I can manually start my 2 instances of the game, but IS is still not working. The first instance of the game never maximizes itself to a full screen upon startup and the second instance is still not being launched using my usual character-set. I am running 32-bit XP, IS 1.09, and haven't changed any settings in ISBoxer.
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:17 pm

The build number of IS is more important than 1.09 -- it's actually been called 1.09 for some time now ;)

On Windows XP you need to be on build 5070 or later. If you're using build 5039, LOTRO will not work on Windows XP. There also seems to be a windowing issue on Windows XP that I need to work on.
<<

chuvakuhn

Post Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:32 pm

Yes, my build is 5039. It has always worked in XP before Mirkwood. Do you mean that I should have a later build for Mirkwood to work? The option to 'Always patch at startup' is set 'On' all the time, so i assumed I was getting the latest build. I choose not to turn on 'Download development (test) patches', is that the problem?
PreviousNext

Return to Lord of the Rings Online