FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

What are you getting isboxer, to do for lotro?

Moderator: MiRai

<<

portlimo

Post Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:46 am

What are you getting isboxer, to do for lotro?

It looks like lotro is one of the more popular sub forums on the isboxer site.

I am trying to see all I can do with the limitations lotro itself puts on isboxer.

I only 2 box, and do not play the same classes, so just using key repeats isn't
real practical for my set up but using key mapping (after I remembered to always
put the team in the right slot after creation) is allowing me to use 11 skills on
the "slave" window, the twelfth slot is the follow shortcut.

So whichever window is active, I can get the slave window to:

follow
auto-attack next nearest mob (which activates pet)

use skill 1 - 11

and just having the picture in picture below the main screen allows me to
see behind my main char for "checking 6" and seeing what snuck up on me.

I cannot yet figure out how to make the slave window loot from the active
window so always have to switch chars for that, and clicking the window itself
doesn't work, have to click from the tray...

I did once get the mouse repeat to work on the quest to light the lanterns,
but could have done it faster just switching chars as for me the slave windows
cursor was always a little below and right of the sweet spot that needed to be clicked.

I was curious as to what other lotro players were getting their isboxer set ups to do,
especially warden users, do you have all your gambits key mapped?
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:38 am

Re: What are you getting isboxer, to do for lotro?

I noticed the cursor position bug the other day in my LOTRO testing. I'm surprised nobody has reported it until now (when it was an issue for other games over a year ago, they all reported it!). It's most likely offset by what the size of the border at the top and left of the window would have been (roughly 15 pixels too far down and a couple pixels too far to the right). I will look into this very soon, but as you may have heard, my wife is going to pop out a baby any day now so I can't give a solid ETA :)
<<

kasmar45

Post Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:04 am

Hi Portimo.. I dual box, (two instances on the same box) and I really have fun with it. I have setup key maps for my keys 1 - =. So, it does not matter what two chars I am playing, I can always depress my main hotkeys on the secondary instance. I have setup a few hotkeys to do things like follow, assist, etc..

Iax, I do not have a cursor bug unless I run the instance from the default. i.e. (LOTRO_Clan Default). Everything is fine when I start up LOTRO from my characters sets. I never reported it because it was not a big deal for me since I do not start up the instance using the profile.
<<

portlimo

Post Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:31 pm

Hey Kasmar45,

sounds like we have found about the same uses, I know that the quickslot bars have unique locations but have not been able yet to key map to any other quickslot bar than the bottom permanent one, have you gotten to being able to do that?

I wish lotro had a loot command or a way to:

start mouse repeat
have both active and slave window click corpse to loot when active window loots
stop mouse repeat

with one key map combination??
<<

creo

ISBoxer Expert

Post Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:30 pm

I currently have 6 accounts and I run a variety of character class mixes depending on what I am trying to do. I have been able to level one group of 5 (had a friend running with my group) from birth to level 65 and I am currently on my second group.

With my first group ( a mix of 2 hunters, one RK and 2 minis), I was still learning how to take advantage of IS / ISBoxer to do the things you need to do when multiboxing. However, with my 5 and one other real player, we have been able to tackle Morti, Helchy and even Udi which were all interesting fights and took differing tactics. Of course, we have tackled much more than just these, but these are just for reference... We have also been able to do Skum, the Grand Stairs (hard mode) and a few other radiance instances...

My current group is 5 RKs and so far it is interesting. Of course, the setup is very different when you have mixed classes versus all one class.

So, to help with some of the things you may want to be able to do here are a couple of things in my setup that are working for me:

Of course, interacting with quest givers is sometimes a bit of a pain. I simply use the F10 (select nearest mob) and then "U" (default use key). In LOTRO this will not always bring up the dialogue on all 5 of my instances, so I end up hitting F10 and then spamming U a few times until all my instances have the dialog up. Then just switch to each individually and take / turn in the quests.

For fighting, I have all my characters targeting my main and then I have skill forwarding enabled. This works fine for all the ranged DPS classes, not so well for a melee class. When I have a melee class in the mix, I generally play it as my main. I then have action target groups setup for each specific class (minstrel, hunter, RK, etc...). So, in my mapped keys I can have multiple actions with each targeting a specific target group. This way I can have my hunters using their bow skills and my RKs using their various attacks while my minis are doing a buff chain. This allows me to have a somewhat scripted attack that is coordinated between my mixed class groups.

For my interacting and following, I have a logitech G5 mouse ( the thing of interest is that it has 5 usable buttons). I have mouse4 set to tell all my toons to target the fellowship leader, but the sequence is a bit more interesting. I have the mapped key set to perform an action on both press and release. On press, I have all the characters select themselves. The reason for this is to assure that when they press F2 that they get the main and not the pet (skirmishes are a real problem otherwise, as would be a cappi for the main or an LM). Then, on the release of mouse4 it sends the F2. This works real well for me... I have also added a much more complicated aspect of allowing chords in this sequence, but I will save that description for another post and only if someone is interested... My mouse5 sends my key bound to my /follow shortcut. The reason for splitting this out is that one of my chords tells my toons to assist my target which effectively has them select me and then select my target. If I then hit mouse5, they will follow my target. This can be useful for melee class getting into range to fight or for having them follow another party member. Of course, in general they have my main targeted so, they initiate a follow on the main by default.

With my most recent group, I got inspired to make a few changes and ended up with a nice looting and interacting option. For all my toons, I have them set to always loot all. I then set a mapped key that performs an action on both press and release (effectively 2 separate actions) which is important to overcome timing issues in LOTRO. On the press I send an F10 and on the release I send a U and an F2 (the reason for the F2 is so that they end up still targeting my main and saves me a mouse4 click). If I run up to a dead mob and hit this key all my toons will loot the nearest mob. This is great for collection quests. I have anther key that is almost identical, but it sends a "del" key instead of the F10. This causes all the toons to select the nearest object and then the following U will cause them to interact with the object (there is also an F2 in there so they still end up with my main as the target). This is great for quests where you have to pick up things, burn things, etc... It also works to have them open their mail or a door, or in Lothlorien to access the ladders to enter one of the flets... This was a simple change to my setup, but it has really made questing, looting, collecting much less painful for my group of 5.

My most recent changes are to make for more complex conjunctions... I am still in the process of setting things up, but I want to be able to pull off 6 man straights and 6 man uniques... Should be interesting once I get it completed....

I know this was a bit wordy and may not be very clear. If you have any questions about what I am doing, let me know...

Cheers,

creo
<<

portlimo

Post Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:06 am

Hey Creo,

I'm not sure about the on and off parts though I hear mr miyagi in my head wax on wax off:)

so I am trying 2 key maps with the ideas from your post

loot
step 1 F10
step 2 U
step 3 F2
step 4 = (follow)

gather
step 1 Del
step 2 U
step 3 F2
step 4 = (follow)

what time between actions do you use?
I am on first attempt having trouble with the always annoying

too far away
must face target

about half the time, and have to press my keymaps more than the two times (they never work on first key press, almost always on second) usually 4 or 5 times before the slave window gathers or loots

but its nice seeing more capabilities of isboxer

thanks for tips will next see if my mouse can do anything like yours to speed the process up

portlimo
the smoothest port in eq
<<

creo

ISBoxer Expert

Post Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:42 pm

Hmm, sounds like you are struggling with some of the same things I did early on... I am not sure the reason for your hesitance to go with the setup to have different actions tied to the press versus the release of a key. I cannot put in words the impact this little tweak to my setup for the looting and collecting of quest objects has made to my enjoyment of otherwise painful collection quests for a team of 5. I encourage you to give it a shot and see what I mean, unless you have some particular aversion to the technique...

If you compare what you have which requires that you press 3 keys (I am not including the follow for reasons indicated below) to get a char to loot to my only pressing 1 and multiply that times anywhere from 8 to 24 (and even higher at times) pieces needed for a single quest, couple that with the fact that not all items have a 100% drop rate and then consider all the collections quests that exist in LOTRO.... Well you can see where some of my priorities are... Of course, everyone has their own set. :roll:

To comment on your configuration though, you do not need an additional step for the F2. You can combine that with the U which is what I am doing and it seems to be working very reliably... The /Follow I have on a different key (mouse5 for my setup) and there is not really anything in the looting process that will cause the follow to break, so for the most part that is not needed. In fact, I can actually have my team loot on the run with my single key loot setup. With my 5 RK team I am able to actually kill most normal mobs while moving and have the following characters loot the mob as we run by. Essentially, I rarely have to stop running while I move around the countryside laying waste to the masses. Just to illustrate, yesterday, my 5 RK team and another player (guard) went into the swamp near Ost and killed enough trolls (approximately 250 trolls) to finish the troll deed as well as our enmity of the trolls deed (dwarf race specific deed) in less than an hour and a half of questing in that area, which included running the bounties set three times and all the other collection quests. We did this at level, so the mobs were same or higher level that our team. Between all the crawlers, flies, orcs , undead and trolls that we had to mow through I would estimate that we went through somewhere in the neighborhood of 500+ mobs... This is both a statement of the efficiency of the single key loot / interact key mappings as well as my new love affair with a 5 RK team... :shock:

For your gather setup, similar things stand out. you can combine the F2 with the U on the same step and the follow is probably not needed as a normal part of the sequence. If you stay with the setup of keeping things on separate steps, this would at least reduce your step count down to 2 which will be much easier to keep synchronized with what you are trying to do at any given time...

As for "time between actions" I am not sure I follow your question. The only timing that you can control is how fast you press (and for me release) keys and I do not really consciously think about it when I am using my new loot / interact mapped keys. So, that is to say that I am just pressing and releasing each key as you normally would in typing.

The "face target" issue is only a problem when fighting or interacting with something and not for looting. In fighting this is not generally a problem unless mobs run up to and past my group and then hit from behind which does happen at times. I overcome this by turning my main and then just having the group step backwards a few steps until all have line of sight again. For interacting with something I run my main up to and just to the side of the object and then turn to face it. This tends to get the rest of the group to a point just in front of it and in position to interact without issues... It has taken me a bit of practice to learn the most efficient move for my particular play style, your mileage may vary of course...

Hope that makes a little sense and is helpful...

Cheers,

creo
<<

portlimo

Post Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:19 am

I didnt understand how you set up the press/release so I just tried what I could fathom...

there is a checkbox above steps to have it delay starting the next step or not which I figured even with loot all enabled would tale a few micro seconds

I had thought the follow was redundant when I did it so glad to hear you confirm it

could you as in the words of joe miller from the movie philadelphia "explain it to me like I'm an eight year old" how to set up the press release?

the mobs move more in the later stages particularly moria riders and hurlers who constantly move to set themselves up for range attacks so often my slave window is now standing back to the mob

then there are the beserkers who reflect all damage until you break their corruption so also need a way to stop giving damage (which heals the mob at the expense of your power) if you know a way

so I'm removing the follow, combining the f2 u and del u to single keys and waiting on the press/release functions

thanks for the help
<<

creo

ISBoxer Expert

Post Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:00 pm

Ok, well that makes sense... I figured that there would be a need for a bit more detail.

So, in ISBoxer if you open up your keymap and in the lower portion of the UI (where you make changes) select the top level of the tree (the Keymap name in the lower left section of the UI). Now, in the lower right section you will see some generic options that have to do with setting defaults for your mapped keys. There is one for "Hold any Keystroke Action while Hotkey is held", for me I have been unchecking this option as the default since I have found that everything I want to do seems to work fine without this option being the default. If you have some mapped keys that need to be held while you hold the hotkey, then you can enable that for a given mapped key, or you can make this default checked and then disable it for the mapped key I will describe shortly.

Either way, in order to have a step execute on either press or release you need the "Hold" option off. Now, in your keymap create a new mapped key for looting and then set the following options (lower right portion of the UI) while selecting the new mapped key in the lower left section of the tree view:

Make sure that the "Hold keystroke Action" option if off if you did not turn it off for the entire keymap
    For the "Execute a Step when hotkey is" option dropdown choose "pressed OR released" (default is "released")
    Enable or check the "Reset to step 1 after" option and set the value to 1 second

Now create 2 steps in your mapped key and on the first step send "F10" to all instances and on the second step send a "U" to all followed by "F2" to all other. I do not send the F2 to the main. You could send "esc" to the main to clear any selection, but if there was nothing selected then "esc" may bring up the "Exit" menu which could be problematic.

So, that is basically all that is needed. You can setup an identical mapped key (use copy mapped key to clipboard and the paste back to create a new mapped key) and just change the "F10" to "delete" (or what ever you have for your select object key) and you will have an interact with object mapped key...

It should be noted that the "loot" mapped key as described can also be used to interact with an NPC / Quest giver and will pull up and dialog that may be available. As mentioned in a previous post the interact with object key can be used to have your characters select a door and open it or in places such as Lothlorien it will select a ladder and use it which will send you into a flet (some ladders / flets have problems with this technique)...

Hope that makes things a bit more clear... Let me know if I can provide additional pointers...

Cheers,

creo
<<

SilentSpace

Post Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:18 am

lax wrote:I noticed the cursor position bug the other day in my LOTRO testing. I'm surprised nobody has reported it until now (when it was an issue for other games over a year ago, they all reported it!). It's most likely offset by what the size of the border at the top and left of the window would have been (roughly 15 pixels too far down and a couple pixels too far to the right). I will look into this very soon, but as you may have heard, my wife is going to pop out a baby any day now so I can't give a solid ETA :)

Is the fix on the way? Just a reminder. ;-)
Windows 7 x64
Intel 2600k, 16 GB RAM, EVGA 580SC, ADATA SSD 120GB
Lotro, Riders of Rohan, German Server
Next

Return to Lord of the Rings Online