FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Bind Socket problem?

Moderator: MiRai

<<

portlimo

Post Sat May 07, 2011 5:19 am

Bind Socket problem?

Hey everybody,

Ever since my 2005 Dell died and I got a new system running windows 7 pro 64 bit,
and went to a paid security suite zonealarm extreme security

I can no longer run multiple lotro accounts

I get the bind socket error

I have changed ComputeUniquePort=False

tried using multiple folders on different drives, same drives

uninstalled the lord of the rings folder in documents folder put in a fresh install of game
let it generate a new documents folder changed that ini file to no avail

I use the turbineinvoker (but have tried the launcher as well)

In April 2011 I was playing 3 accounts on the xp sp3 Dell with no problem using my "assisted leveling strategy"

this problem also happens to me on a laptop running windows 7 home premium that had a trial Mcafee security running

Is it the security settings of 2 different brands or one of the update 2 patches, or just moving (reluctantly) to windows 7, that is causing the bind socket error?

any suggestions?
<<

tanker

Post Sat May 07, 2011 7:27 am

Re: Bind Socket problem?

I have no issues with six clients (other than memory) on Window 7 Pro with Microsoft Security Essentials.
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Sat May 07, 2011 8:38 am

Re: Bind Socket problem?

If you get this error on the FIRST lotro patcher that comes up, then I would take a closer look at your firewall or other software that may be interfering.

If you DO NOT get this error on the FIRST lotro patcher that comes up, then it is most likely NOT related to your firewall or other software, because it would have most likely broken the first one. Instead, this would indicate that the second LOTRO is attempting to open the same port as the first. This is where the "ComputeUniquePort" setting comes into play, as you mentioned you have set it to False (correct).

Something you may not be aware of or fully understand is that ISBoxer is probably keeping multiple copies of UserPreferences.ini for you (assuming you used the Quick Setup Wizard). Each instance that comes up is going to use its own, independent copy, which is going to look something like UserPreferences-MyCharacter.ini, and will be in the same folder as the original UserPreferences.ini (i.e. under My Documents\The Lord of the Rings Online). These files are created by copying from the original file, when the game is first launched for that particular Character. So if you're modifying the original UserPreferences.ini and you want all of the other files to pick up these settings, you want to delete the character-specific UserPreferences.ini files so they can be re-copied from the original. You can also manually modify the individual UserPreferences.ini files.

So what I'm saying is that I don't know if you just edited the original file and then the others still have ComputeUniquePort=true, and that could potentially be the source of your confusion here. Alternatively, if you can't get it to work the usual way, you also have the option of manually specifying a different Port for each character (or account) since we are using multiple copies of the UserPreferences.ini file. To do that, you would manually edit each UserPreferences-MyCharacter.ini file with a UserSpecifiedPort -- if you're going to try that, the numbers need to be above 1024 and below 65535, I'd just take a number like 20000 or something and add one to it each time you do a different character.

Return to Lord of the Rings Online