FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Launch Failed error 0x80004005

Moderator: MiRai

<<

thomaslear

Post Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:16 pm

bob wrote:Ok, something radical.

In the ISboxer Toolkit, there is a Trace Diagnositics.
Run EVE via Inner Space, and when it hangs, get a trace diagnostic on the hung process. Send that to lax@lavishsoft.com. Let him know why he is getting it i.e. a link to the relevant thread (this one for you) is always a good choice (note: I was explaining for future readers).

Then in the archives, get build 6174 and see if it then works (instructions on install are in the archive page too).

[s]Having the same issue,[/s](BOB: apparently not)
I managed to find this error message though. It is from the isboxer launcher not innerspace. Running Innerspace build 1.15.6252 and EVE ISBoxer Version 1.0.0.17

Screenshot: https://i.imgur.com/zuaEFBt.png

/e
BOB: This thread has been split from another so it might seem like things are missing.
<<

bob

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:43 pm

Re: Clients fail to launch

Would be good if you have provided a diagnostic like in the previous request, however, it turns out that the error is most commonly caused by your antivirus heuristics (the guess engine if you like) detecting something and then cancelling the process from starting up.

Others have had some some luck by setting exclusions in their Antivirus from real time protection/scanning on the following:
  • InnerSpace.exe in both C:\Program Files (x86)\InnerSpace and C:\Program Files (x86)\InnerSpace\x64 (or wherever you have it installed)
  • ISBoxerEVELauncher.exe (usually this will be in your InnerSpace folder)
  • exefile.exe (the EVE executable), in .....SharedCache\tq\bin or SharedCache\sisi\bin depending on which you are trying to play on.
<<

thomaslear

Post Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:41 pm

Clients fail to launch

bob wrote:Would be good if you have provided a diagnostic like in the previous request, however, it turns out that the error is most commonly caused by your antivirus heuristics (the guess engine if you like) detecting something and then cancelling the process from starting up.

Others have had some some luck by setting exclusions in their Antivirus from real time protection/scanning on the following:
  • InnerSpace.exe in both C:\Program Files (x86)\InnerSpace and C:\Program Files (x86)\InnerSpace\x64 (or wherever you have it installed)
  • exefile.exe (the EVE executable), in .....SharedCache\tq\bin or SharedCache\sisi\bin depending on which you are trying to play on.

checked the firewall and didn't see anything. I fired an email off to lax with some diagnostic data. thanks for the help.
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:43 pm

Unfortunately Trace Diagnostics on ISBoxerEVELauncher.exe isn't going to get us very far, I would instead need that from an exefile.exe launched by ISBoxer EVE Launcher. The issue is not within ISBoxer EVE Launcher. The error in your screenshot seems to indicate that it launched exefile.exe, but in that new process something broke.

1. Can you try shutting down TeamViewer
2. Can you get us a Compatibility Diagnostic from a running exefile.exe? This will likely list different loaded modules, at the very least relating to the graphics system, that are not present in diagnostics pointing at ISBoxer EVE Launcher, ISBoxer Toolkit, or the EVE Launcher.
<<

bob

Post Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:59 pm

Beyond the compatibility diagnostic Lax asked for,

if you can't get a trace diagnostic from ISBoxer on the exefile.exe because it is terminating before you can get to it, then you will need to do some extra work.

Download ProcDump from https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sys ... 96900.aspx. Unzip it and put it in a folder, like C:\DumpDir.

Open a command prompt as Admin,
Windows 7, go to Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Command Prompt, right click on this, select "Run As Administrator"
Windows 8, open the desktop, press WIN+X, select "Command Prompt (Admin)"
Windows 10, search for cmd, right click the Command Prompt item at the top of the search results, select "Run As Administrator"

Run the below command (replacing any parts as necessary for your installation of ProcDump and ISBoxer).
Code:
C:\DumpDir\procdump -accepteula -e -t -l -f "" -x C:\DumpDir "exefile.exe" > C:\DumpDir\procdump.log

Email both the dmp file that is generated, and the procdump.log file.
<<

thomaslear

Post Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:14 pm

bob wrote:Beyond the compatibility diagnostic Lax asked for,

if you can't get a trace diagnostic from ISBoxer on the exefile.exe because it is terminating before you can get to it, then you will need to do some extra work.

Download ProcDump from https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sys ... 96900.aspx. Unzip it and put it in a folder, like C:\DumpDir.

Open a command prompt as Admin,
Windows 7, go to Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Command Prompt, right click on this, select "Run As Administrator"
Windows 8, open the desktop, press WIN+X, select "Command Prompt (Admin)"
Windows 10, search for cmd, right click the Command Prompt item at the top of the search results, select "Run As Administrator"

Run the below command (replacing any parts as necessary for your installation of ProcDump and ISBoxer).
Code:
C:\DumpDir\procdump -accepteula -e -t -l -f "" -x C:\DumpDir "exefile.exe" > C:\DumpDir\procdump.log

Email both the dmp file that is generated, and the procdump.log file.

Both Diagnostics sent to lax. thanks for the help.
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:04 pm

This is related to your Norton Security software.

I can try adding a fix to a new Inner Space development build later today, but you can probably adjust a setting in Norton. I don't know specifically what, but you may be able to set some sort of exception in it for exefile.exe.
<<

thomaslear

Post Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:26 pm

lax wrote:This is related to your Norton Security software.

I can try adding a fix to a new Inner Space development build later today, but you can probably adjust a setting in Norton. I don't know specifically what, but you may be able to set some sort of exception in it for exefile.exe.

hmmm okay i thought i put that exception into norton but i'll look into it.

edit: looking at my norton all the settings are set to allow and I have never had this issue before now. If you wouldn't mind putting that patch out I would appreciate it.

edit 2: I shut my norton off completely and it still would cause the launcher to hang and crash. going to try reinstalling the eve files
<<

thomaslear

Post Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:20 pm

bob wrote:This is not about a firewall letting anything through. Firewall != Antivirus.

There are a couple of known issues currently.

1. NVidia ShadowPlay needs to be disabled (and potentially renabled if you use it). Something in either a recent driver update or the Windows 10 update seems to require ShadowPlay to "reset" something (this wont help you if you have an ATI/AMD graphics card).
  2. Some Antivirus (not firewall) products (Nortons and Bitdefender are the ones I've seen) require you to set some exceptions on certain items from the Realtime scanning/protection as the heuristics are blocking launching (this can be validated by uninstalling your Antivirus product - disabling it doesn't test this properly as the filter drivers are still running regardless). The heuristics are detecting a false positive because of the way Inner Space launches the games.
    The specific items to exclude from the realtime protection/scanning of your Antivirus are:

Alright all this was done, after a restart, ISboxer Launcher still hangs and crashes when trying to launch a character set. I then went and uninstalled Norton's and restarted. Tried again no sucess. Then I went and Uninstalled Nvidia Gforce and restarted. After that I gave it a try and no sucess again. The launcher keeps hanging and crashing as soon as you launch a character set and throwing the same error as the screenshot link a day ago https://i.imgur.com/zuaEFBt.png

edit: I checked to see if windows defender was now causing the error and after disabling both the firewall and antivirus there, still same result.
Last edited by thomaslear on Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

bob

Post Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:49 pm

thomaslear wrote:Alright all this was done, after a restart, ISboxer Launcher still hangs and crashes when trying to launch a character set. I then went and uninstalled Norton's and restarted. Tried again no sucess. Then I went and Uninstalled Nvidia Gforce and restarted. After that I gave it a try and no sucess again. The launcher keeps hanging and crashing as soon as you launch a character set and throwing the same error as the screenshot link a day ago https://i.imgur.com/zuaEFBt.png

edit: I checked to see if windows defender was now causing the error and after disabling both the firewall and antivirus there, still same result.

If you are having the same issue with the error message after uninstalling Nortons, then you will probably need to get another dmp file without it running. What Lax looked at previously seemed to indicate Nortons was getting in the way. If it is not, because you have removed it, then it will be necessary to look for the next potential culprit in the trace dump. As it is halting farily early on, you will need to setup run ProcDump first, as previously instructed how, before attempting the team launch, so it will wait for the exefile to load and crash/terminate.

/Note: I've split your topic off from the other one, as you clearly are having a different issue. Neither of the other two mentioned the error popup that you are getting.
Next

Return to EVE Online