FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Crash/refresh/hang ?

Moderator: MiRai

<<

Rasmon

Post Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:35 am

Crash/refresh/hang ?

Hi All,

I'm running a 7 client setup of Eve, though I was having the same issue with a 4 client setup a few weeks ago. After playing for a while, generally more than an hour, without issue, all the sudden my monitors will flash black and then each client will flash black and come back. This happened when using a single monitor layout with swap and leave hole and is continuing now that I have switched to a videoFX layout. Sometimes one or more of the clients continue to have the issue (repeatedly freezing/flashing/crashing/reloading) until I end task on that client and relaunch. I never receive an error, which is the main reason I haven't reported it yet. Also, I have two VFX regions in my new layout and the one that is in the ISB42 - Always On key map refreshes if I tab through the clients, but the other one that is in ISB42 - Custom Hotkeys has to be closed and relaunched, as the hot key does not refresh it.

Not sure what details you need, so here are some to get started:

Windows 10
Intel Core i7 930 @ 2.80GHz
12GB RAM
EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Superclock

Profile: http://pastebin.com/ukdUb7V7

The Eve m7 VFX single character set is the main one I am using at the moment. I also had the issue with the Eve Single6 character set.

Any idea what might be causing this in the first place so I can try resolving it?
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:17 am

Re: Crash/refresh/hang ?

This actually sounds a lot like a TDR issue with your video drivers/hardware.

TDR stands for Timeout Detection and Recovery. This is a feature of the Windows operating system which detects response problems from a graphics card, and recovers to a functional desktop by resetting the card. If the operating system does not receive a response from a graphics card within a certain amount of time (default is 2 seconds), the operating system resets the graphics card.

Before TDR existed, problems of this nature would have resulted in a system freeze and required a reboot of the operating system. If TDR is enabled and you see the TDR error message, "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered," this means that the Windows operating system reset the display driver.

It is unlikely that changing your ISBoxer configuration will affect the issue. Disabling/changing various graphics options in the game could potentially help (especially dx11 vs dx9, and windowed vs fullscreen settings). You will probably need to update or revert video drivers or some such
<<

Rasmon

Post Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:54 am

Re: Crash/refresh/hang ?

Ya, I suspected this was a video issue based on the behavior. I've tried several version of the video driver, up to the latest. I have all the clients setup for Windowed mode, so I'll try Full Screen and see if that helps. I'll also look into the dx11 vs dx9. Thanks Lax!

Return to EVE Online