FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Important update to EVE Online rules coming January 2015

Moderator: MiRai

<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:00 pm

Important update to EVE Online rules coming January 2015

Official EVE forum post from CCP Falcon: Update regarding Multiboxing and input automation

Moving forward, starting in January 2015, CCP plans to prohibit Input Broadcasting/Multiplexing for "actions with consequences in the EVE universe". "Input Broadcasting and Input Multiplexing refer to the multiplication of inputs, actions and events to multiple instances of the game." Note that they will allow it for things that do not have consequences in the EVE universe.

Here are their provided examples. The top list is things that you cannot broadcast to multiple windows beginning January 2015. The bottom list is things that you can because they do not affect the EVE universe.
Input Broadcasting and Input Multiplexing of actions with consequences in the EVE universe, are prohibited and will be policed in the same manner as Input Automation.

This includes, but isn’t limited to:

• Activation and control of ships and modules
• Navigation and movement within the EVE universe
• Movement of assets and items within the EVE universe
• Interaction with other characters

Examples of allowed Input Broadcasting and Input Multiplexing are actions taken that do not have an impact on the EVE universe and are carried out for convenience:

• EVE Online client settings
• Window positions and arrangements (of the EVE Online client in your operating system’s desktop environment)
• The login process

This is sad news for ISBoxer users in EVE.

The good news is that they do stress that "multiboxing is allowed" as long as you don't do this. It does sound like you can still use Video FX dashboards for example as long as you are interacting with a single client at a time and not activating a module on 50 different ships at the same instant. Broadcasting Mode should not be used except when changing client settings or logging in, beginning January 2015.

UPDATE:
ISBoxer 41.10.1128.1 is now available for manual update. (changelog) Another update in the coming weeks will show an update notice when you start ISBoxer; this one you must find via Help->About ISBoxer, or any fresh download of ISBoxer.
  • EVE Online: In January 2015, CCP will begin prohibiting the use of Input Broadcasting/Multiplexing. As of ISBoxer 41.10.1128.1, out of abundance of caution, Broadcasting will be locked down by default for all EVE Online profiles, new and old. Please do a fresh Export to Inner Space. To re-enable Broadcasting until January, or for use during CCP's stated-as-acceptable times (login, client settings, window positions, etc), un-check the new Character Set setting 'Disable capabilities to control multiple windows simultaneously, including Broadcasting and Action Target Groups (EVE Online)' and Export to Inner Space. Please take care not to broadcast to multiple EVE Online windows simultaneously during prohibited times beginning January 2015. (This setting should prevent it except within some advanced, custom configurations.)
  • New Character Set option 'Disable capabilities to control multiple windows simultaneously, including Broadcasting and Action Target Groups' for use in games where simultaneous multiple window control has been prohibited. This setting will automatically apply for games where this is known to be the case, including EVE Online (as of January 2015, but applying as of now), Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, and Path of Exile.
<<

MiRai

Vibrant Videographer

Post Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:03 pm

Re: Important update to EVE Online rules coming January 2015

lax wrote:It does sound like you can still use Video FX dashboards for example as long as you are interacting with a single client at a time and not activating a module on 50 different ships at the same instant.

This would have been my recommendation to others, as well.
<<

Dynamite874

Post Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:07 pm

Yeah I have just sent a evemail to CCP Falcon asking about a few things. I think Isboxer will be hit badly but I doubt it will die out completely within EVE.
<<

Brandon85c

Post Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:14 pm

well i dont' wanna play eve without it and well don't wanna pay if i can't use half the fuctions i use right now..

has nothing to do with isboxer i love the program and avoided all the promo's so i can pay as much as i can because i thought it was worth it
<<

A-Box

Post Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:03 pm

i am not refreshing my Sub to isboxer, cause i am relying on using the broadcast.
<<

Skarling

Post Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:14 pm

Damn, and I resubbed to EVE a couple of weeks ago, luckily for a month (running 5 accounts). I guess smaller drone-based fleets can manage without repeater, with FX regions only, but for larger fleets it is a death verdict.
<<

spf

Post Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:15 pm

A-Box wrote:i am not refreshing my Sub to isboxer, cause i am relying on using the broadcast.

this. Soz Lax but ccp made the turn
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:17 pm

for larger fleets it is a death verdict.

I think this is the overall intent of this change, and I think it will have the intended impact.

Cross-posting from my reddit comment:
Multiboxing will still happen, but without broadcasting to multiple clients at once. This is more sad to someone like TheWis with 80+ accounts, or even someone with 10, than it is to someone with 2 or 3. I think we would all agree that 2 or 3 is a more appropriate number to be playing than 80, and I think that's the effect this change will ultimately have.

p.s. Reddit thread is here: http://www.reddit.com/r/Eve/comments/2ndrl2/the_end_isboxers
<<

Skarling

Post Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:01 pm

If CCP is bothered by large miltiboxer fleets while being tolerant to boxing in general, they could probably just limit the impact they gonna have by saying "repeater is fine with 5 (or whetever) accounts or less, and prohibited beyond 5". However, it would just seem to be an attack on a specific group of people, and I doubt it could stand to legal challenge. Even with "assist" drone boats you need to launch you drones on each ship and return them to drone bay afterwards. Doing it manually on each ship without repeater is a hassle. Same for mining - activating/deactivating laser on each ship individually is doable, but inefficient, besides mining is rarely a sole activity.
<<

MiRai

Vibrant Videographer

Post Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:29 pm

Skarling wrote:they could probably just limit the impact they gonna have by saying "repeater is fine with 5 (or whetever) accounts or less, and prohibited beyond 5".

The problem is... How do they enforce such a rule without false positives?
Next

Return to EVE Online