FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

new login mechanic going into EvE

Moderator: MiRai

<<

evecad

Post Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:06 am

new login mechanic going into EvE

Dear ISBoxer team,

Attended Masstest on EvE test server Singularity yesterday. It seems CCP is testing new method how to start EvE clients recently. As a result of it ISBOXER is not an option on test server now and will not be an option soon at all ;)

Please take your time to look into it and share workaround ideas :)

Till then I have to stop all my testing scenarios on EvE test server (unfortunately)

thanks in advance,
Cad
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:41 am

Re: new login mechanic going into EvE

I'll take a look, thanks for reporting that there is something new. It's probably not the end of the world. :)
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:06 am

Okay, this does not seem to be anything to worry about, and you can get around it with ease.

Presumably, you are currently pointing Inner Space at eve.exe (this is currently default from Inner Space) or launcher.exe.

If you point Inner Space, instead, at EVE\bin\ExeFile.exe -- this is the actual game client -- the game will NOT bring up the launcher.

You can modify an existing Game Profile with the different executable, like so:
1. Right click Inner Space in the system notification area and select Configuration
2. Click the Game Configuration tab
3. Select the Game in the first drop-down box
4. Select the Game Profile in the second drop-down box
5. Adjust the Main executable path -- because eve.exe is not in the same folder as ExeFile.exe. It needs "\bin" at the end, like if it's currently C:\Program Files (x86)\CCP\EVE it should be changed to C:\Program Files (x86)\CCP\EVE\bin.
6. Adjust the Main executable to be ExeFile.exe
7. Click Apply

I'll also release an IS update soon to fix the issue it has with the launcher. :)
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:25 am

Inner Space build 5532 should take care of the issue with the new EVE Launcher.

5532 is currently the development build of Inner Space. To try it out, right click IS and select Patcher, check "Download development (test) patches" then close and restart Inner Space to let it patch up.
<<

kenphillips

Post Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:44 pm

lax wrote:Inner Space build 5532 should take care of the issue with the new EVE Launcher.

Does IS build 5532 work with the new way CCP is launching EVE or is this still a workaround? I'm asking because if it's still a workaround, then we're going to need to manually patch EVE every time CCP releases a new client update and the blog on the new launcher indicates this will happen a lot more often than it has in the past. And it happens pretty frequently IMO.

If memory serves, didn't WoW do something like this in the past?

My setup uses soft links (unsure if that's the correct term) of the EVE directory, where each of my clients runs off it's own link. Currently, I patch using the main EVE client then launch each linked client if there's a client update as well. Would this method of patching work under the new launcher system?
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:34 pm

Does IS build 5532 work with the new way CCP is launching EVE or is this still a workaround? I'm asking because if it's still a workaround, then we're going to need to manually patch EVE every time CCP releases a new client update and the blog on the new launcher indicates this will happen a lot more often than it has in the past. And it happens pretty frequently IMO.

If memory serves, didn't WoW do something like this in the past?

The issue that prevented Inner Space from working correctly through the EVE Launcher was a minor issue. I specifically tested the fix with 5532 before posting about the fix, and I don't have any indication from anyone else that it is still broken after 5532.

You can patch through ISBoxer if you want but generally it's preferable to launch the client directly -- as opposed to also having to click through an instance of the game's launcher for each window -- for any game that supports it. Which EVE still does; all you need to do is point it at the game client which is ExeFile.exe, instead of the old launcher (eve.exe) or the new one.

My setup uses soft links (unsure if that's the correct term) of the EVE directory, where each of my clients runs off it's own link. Currently, I patch using the main EVE client then launch each linked client if there's a client update as well. Would this method of patching work under the new launcher system?

I don't see why not. It's the same thing as before, they just made a separate launcher where there was not one before.
<<

Alge

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:48 am

The methods described above have been confirmed to work for today's (13 Mar 2012) patch.

EDIT: not by me, by someone on the IRC channel
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:10 am

Quick recap: There should not be any issues with the EVE Launcher if you are on build 5551 or later of Inner Space (if you have not restarted Inner Space recently, you may be on build 5521, which will have a bug with ISBoxer not recognizing EVE when launched through the launcher!). It's okay to use the launcher, just make sure it closes (there is a setting; or you close it manually) after launching the game.

If you have not restarted Inner Space in a while...
Make sure you are on build 5551 or later of Inner Space! You can do this by hovering your mouse cursor over the Inner Space icon in the system notification area. If you're NOT on build 5551 or later, just close and restart Inner Space and let it patch up.

If you are on build 5521 or earlier, there was a minor bug with the combination of the new EVE Launcher and Inner Space; the launched game clients ended up not being handled by Inner Space. Patching to build 5551 corrects the issue.

Tips for skipping/bypassing the launcher
This is optional, as there should not be a problem using the launcher. This is just how to work around the annoyance of seeing the launcher for every single game instance:
a) The new EVE Launcher has an option to only show when there is a patch
or
b) You can also point Inner Space at "ExeFile.exe" -- the game client -- instead of "eve.exe", as explained in detail in a previous post on this thread
<<

Nuro

Post Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:20 am

Thanks alot for the post.

I just got round to trying the first option of just turning off the installer window

I got the same message as one of the other posts, but with the exception that on this line

WindowsError: [Error 3]

for me it said it was unable to locate filename or path

I had to use the second workaround in order to get this to work for me, but it appears to be working in full so far.

again, thanks and apprecaite the work done to solve these issues :)
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:15 am

Sorry bout that, part of the fix didn't make it in to the previously recommended build. 5551 now has the complete fix.

Return to EVE Online