FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

State of the Eve Adress 7/2017

Moderator: MiRai

<<

morgium

Post Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:24 am

State of the Eve Adress 7/2017

Hi,

i have been using isboxer for everquest with much "success" and enjoy it very much.
I also managed to get it set up beautifully for Eve online (thanks for the launcher, great work!).

I read lots of posts and articles about what's allowed and what is not, and from what i understand, it boils down to:
"any action that has an effect in the eve universe may not be the result of an action that already had an effect" - broadcasting to multiple clients at once.
from my point of view, this does then not include creating video fx sources of the overview, and use repeater passthrough to click actions there. i am doing it from another window, but my click only results in one action.
is that correct? so can i create a video fx source from A's overview, and warp him around from B's window while doing planetary interaction there?
Clarification would be very welcome.

Thanks for reading, and happy flaming me,

Morg
<<

bob

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:30 am

Re: State of the Eve Adress 7/2017

Sadly, how we interpret the rules, and how CCP interpret their rules always has a chance of being in conflict. My understanding is that CCP would say that is against the rules (although that has never officially been posted as far as I can find). I also am aware that CCP do not currently have anything in place that could detect it.

The last post of significance from CCP is here (actually it may not be the last one, but I'm lazy enough to not look for another).

Lax's interpretation of that is here.

/edit: I looked, all CCP (blue) posts refer back to the last post of significance.

/edit2:
This one might be of significance too.

All said and done, their rules are long and arduous to find (because why would they be in the one place?) and read over (because why make it easy), so you will really have to come to your determination of risk. We are not CCP so can never definitively answer your question.
Last edited by bob on Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
<<

morgium

Post Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:01 am

Thanks for your answer. I have read that post already, and it led me to the conclusion i stated above...
Also the post says to contact them if one has questions. I will do that, and if i get an answer i will post it here of course.
You linked the same post twice btw :-)
<<

bob

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:05 am

morgium wrote:You linked the same post twice btw
Fixed. My copy/Paste was being weird.
<<

morgium

Post Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:15 am

Reading your added Link of significance, i come to the conclusion that it's only okay if i use an "untampered" client window. although ISBoxer doesnt tamper with the client window, i just displays only a part of it...
<<

morgium

Post Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:18 am

Alright, i received an answer that makes everything even more confusing.

i wrote:
Code:
it is perfectly clear, that input automation and broadcasting/multiplexing is forbidden.
In ISBoxer there is the possibility of displaying only parts of  game window B in game window a, and control window B from there (while sending only commands to a single client at a time)
i referenced some of the links bob kindly provided and read and referenced the third party policies as well.

the answer was:

GM Telarusch wrote:

"
Your Question is answered in our End User License Agreement, 6.3:

Code:
You may not use your own or any third-party software, macros or other stored rapid keystrokes or other patterns of play that facilitate acquisition of items, currency, objects, character attributes, rank or status at an accelerated rate when compared with ordinary Game play. You may not rewrite or modify the user interface or otherwise manipulate data in any way to acquire items, currency, objects, character attributes or beneficial actions not actually acquired or achieved in the Game.

Multiboxing is not explicitly mentioned in this Context, but multiboxing provides a speed-advantage not available during normal gameplay. thats why this is affected by the EULA, and forbidden.
Please feel free to contact me if you have further questions.

... which i intend to, because this can be read as "multiboxing is forbidden", but i think it clearly shows they are not allowing Video Feeds. Strange, because "Eve Preview" is fine according to another GM.

Astonishing how he managed to make an unclear statement even more so.
<<

Illindar

Post Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:31 am

I've been an HR guy for many years and am familiar with this kind of language. Yup, helps make the unclear clear as mud eh? That said, I'm not CCP so my opinion's milage may vary... but I read that to say:

You may not use [any kind of software] that facilitate{s} [getting EVE stuff (isk, rank, LP, items or whatever)] at an accelerated rate compared to 'normal player's play'.

and

You may not [mess with the UI, sift through the data sent, or manipulate the data you're sending] in any way to [get EVE stuff or provide beneficial effects] in the Game.

Multi-Boxing? no problem.

Broadcasting actions, making macros that auto follow, auto attacks, auto.... really anything auto... not ok

Using an app that doubles the speed of your ships, makes it impossible to kill you, mines for you... etc definitely not ok.

Slicing the UI up so it's easier to use, grey area...

From what I see the hint of what they care about is in the 'compared to normal player's play'.

It's not unusual to have 3 or 4 accounts and mine with them... a bit tricky... but manageable... It's not impossible to do 4 or 5... But a fleet of 50 hulks strip-mining whole systems at a time? That's not 'normal'

To date there doesn't seem to be (or no one has bothered to) detect the use of many components of isboxer's features.... instead it appears they rely on player reports or data mining (seeing that you averaged $100m a day for the last 6mo, and today you're generating $100b) to 'detect'.

To me, I'd use the same advice I'd use to tell my guys about offensive objects or clothing at the workplace...If you have to stop and think 'is this going to fly?' then it's unlikely to be ok. Not worth the risk.
<<

Illindar

Post Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:11 am

Not that I've been using isboxer forever but at the end of the day, I think CCP has maintained a fairly hands off approach to how players play their game...

Further I know they do have staff look into reports by hand...

Cutting your window into mini-previews has clearly been stated as AOK by Dev Grimmi in the above post https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=6362936#post6362936

Hell this was an ok'd item: Image

But slicing and dicing so you don't even need to ever switch to one of you other ships is very likely going to cause heartburn.

Personally, I do a little slicing, mostly to alleviate a some disability related mobility issues. Basically I pull over an extra slice of the overview but instead of just passing my clicks through, I keep it read only and just have it make that character active.

That's in the gray... but I think close enough to acceptable to be ok to risk.

Return to EVE Online