FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

New multibox "station"

Moderator: MiRai

<<

Ignat

Post Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:31 am

New multibox "station"

Hi m8`s1 i`m looking for interesting ideas to build a multibox station for eve online
The main goal is 40ppl site for incursion ( HQ and mothership solo ) and 80-100 miners for null sec mining in da name of Emperor!!!

Sooooo...
intel or AMD
nVidia or AMD
SSD or traditions.
MOM PSU and RAM
waiting for your comments.
Budget up to 4.5-5k $

TY
<<

Bubonic Pestilence

Post Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:50 pm

Re: New multibox "station"

CPU: Intel, Less heat, new ones comes with 8 ores
GPU: nVidia, 'cause SLI works in windowed mode
SSD: Plextor m6e, or OCZ zDrives

I'm running 10-man incursion fleet, and i'm feeling great with 16GB of RAM, but in your case, i would think about 32 or even 64 on new X99 chipset.
<<

Shadowandlight

Post Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:58 pm

deff. need 1gig of ram per client

as for GPU's, Bub is right, you need SLI for that many clients and only NVIDIA works in full screen clients

and all that being said... i highly doubt any CPU out there can handle 40 clients running an incursion HQ site...

but please prove me wrong! (cause ill be buying it!)
<<

bugme143

Post Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:02 am

for 40-man fleet you might need to get multiple comps...
I'm an EVE bro with extended knowledge of incursions. Feel free to contact me here.
<<

Beehive

Post Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:41 am

If you really want do to 40++ Setups you should use a Multiprocessor Motherboard for Servers.

MB : Intel DBS2600COE This one looks fine. Don'T forget that you can't plug regular CPUs on it, you have to buy Server CPU'S (Xeon's)
CPU : Intel Xeon Processor E5-2620V2
RAM : Try to get at least 128GB, better 256GB
PSU : 1.2 kW would be enough I think. Just do the Math at the end and see if you get enough power out of it.
GPU : If you really have the money for a GTX Titan Z go for it but make sure the GPU will fit on your MP Mainboard (Send an email to the support)
HDD : SDD's, what else?! You will need a couple of them (one for your OS and one or two for your Clients). Use regular HDD's for Datastorage (Music, pdf's etc)

This setup would cost you about 5.000 $, I can't tell you the exact prices as I am not from NA.
<<

MiRai

Vibrant Videographer

Post Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:38 pm

Beehive wrote:If you really want do to 40++ Setups you should use a Multiprocessor Motherboard for Servers.

MB : Intel DBS2600COE This one looks fine. Don'T forget that you can't plug regular CPUs on it, you have to buy Server CPU'S (Xeon's)
PSU : 1.2 kW would be enough I think. Just do the Math at the end and see if you get enough power out of it.
GPU : If you really have the money for a GTX Titan Z go for it but make sure the GPU will fit on your MP Mainboard (Send an email to the support)
HDD : SDD's, what else?! You will need a couple of them (one for your OS and one or two for your Clients). Use regular HDD's for Datastorage (Music, pdf's etc)

This setup would cost you about 5.000 $, I can't tell you the exact prices as I am not from NA.

I agree that a multi-CPU setup is, in theory, going to be required, but as far as I know, no one who has ever claimed to have a beastly multi-CPU machine has ever come back to report how well it actually performed. However, I am going to disagree with some of your recommendations. I understand that you're probably just theorizing on what might be needed, but some of it is a bit much.

RAM
It's pretty well-established that game clients usually need about 1GB each. So, not only is 256GB of RAM complete and utter overkill... 128GB of RAM is still way more than would ever be needed. As previously mentioned, 64GB would be just fine.

GPU
You should never recommend a GTX Titan-Z to anyone... ever. It's the most overpriced POS that nVidia has ever released. It's two Titan Blacks on a single PCB, but it's slower and costs $1,000 more than if you were to purchase the GPUs separate and run them in SLI yourself. I don't know how much VRAM 40 EVE clients would take up, but this would depend greatly on the resolution and API that they were running. I imagine you'd be safest with 6GB (sticking with nVidia GPUs), so some Titans or Titan Blacks would probably be necessary (at this time).
<<

Lyondy

Post Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:38 am

52 acc 1920x1170 or so take up 2.9 gb vram geforce 780 and 1gb vram from geforce 560ti

running it on i7 4930k 25/10 fps 30% prossesor in normal actions left peak to much load little lags :D

42 gb ram in use with running all 52 on low exept the main on high

Only one client has sound on

so far my setup
<<

bugme143

Post Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:11 am

MiRai wrote:
Beehive wrote:If you really want do to 40++ Setups you should use a Multiprocessor Motherboard for Servers.

I agree that a multi-CPU setup is, in theory, going to be required, but as far as I know, no one who has ever claimed to have a beastly multi-CPU machine has ever come back to report how well it actually performed. However, I am going to disagree with some of your recommendations. I understand that you're probably just theorizing on what might be needed, but some of it is a bit much.

I know two guys who run 40+. One of them runs 72 using multiple mid-range machines and the multi-comp thing from ISBoxer, and the other is a 40-boxer who speaks Korean and uses google translate so asking complicated questions isn't possible until I find a decent translator.
I'm an EVE bro with extended knowledge of incursions. Feel free to contact me here.
<<

MiRai

Vibrant Videographer

Post Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:28 pm

I knew when I made the post that people would come to say something about large-scale setups after the topic has been dormant for some time. :)

The thing is, if you really want to play with incredibly low settings (like 25/10 FPS or dropping your resolution down low to compensate) then anything is possible -- I mean, that's how I multiboxed 60 WoW accounts at once on a single machine (a little self promotion there) -- but if you want to play with nice settings, utilize a resolution which is native (or near native) to your monitor(s), and set your clients at a decent framerate, then you're looking at using a lot of horsepower.

What people want or can tolerate is completely subjective, though.
<<

Beehive

Post Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:04 am

MiRai wrote:

RAM
It's pretty well-established that game clients usually need about 1GB each. So, not only is 256GB of RAM complete and utter overkill... 128GB of RAM is still way more than would ever be needed. As previously mentioned, 64GB would be just fine.

GPU
You should never recommend a GTX Titan-Z to anyone... ever. It's the most overpriced POS that nVidia has ever released. It's two Titan Blacks on a single PCB, but it's slower and costs $1,000 more than if you were to purchase the GPUs separate and run them in SLI yourself. I don't know how much VRAM 40 EVE clients would take up, but this would depend greatly on the resolution and API that they were running. I imagine you'd be safest with 6GB (sticking with nVidia GPUs), so some Titans or Titan Blacks would probably be necessary (at this time).

My suggestions might be a bit over the top, thats true. I never bought a Titan or something equal because they're way over the top in terms of price/performance ratio. I just simply have no experience in running that many clients and just wanted to make sure that he/she can play the game in a way that you can still enjoy the graphics and so on.
My System, i am running for boxing 12 Clients is as follows :

Intel i7-920
6GB RAM
Nvidia Geforce X Ti 650
Im doing fine with that but as soon as I do frapsing or other intensive stuff my performance is gowing down (mostly to RAM and CPU issues). You can run a lot of clients without getting a drop in performance but as soon as you hit a certain barrier, you will experience havy drops. Thats the reason I was reffering to those overpriced and oversized components

Return to EVE Online