FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Eve Online will not launch

Moderator: MiRai

<<

jackblitzen

Post Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:29 pm

Eve Online will not launch

I'm a new trial user trying to get things working. I'm running Win7 Pro, 64-bit.

I'm trying to get EVE going with isboxer, but am running into issues that may be the result of my configuration instead of isboxer. When I run eve from innerspace, it launches, and just sits in the background without ever appearing on the desktop. EVE's log server logs an exception that seems to indicate it can't find a path or folder:

Code:
2065   2014.03.29 21:04:39:808   ERROR_PATH_NOT_FOUND: [Error 3] The system cannot find the path specified: 'SHGetFolderPath'

From what I've read, the 'SHGetFolderPath' function call is related to locating a users documents directory. There are two non-standard things on my system that could be tying into this:

1) I don't have eve properly "installed" - I just run it from a directory that syncs between a few of my computers using bittorrent sync. This allows me to update on one computer, and have the changes propagate to the other machines transparently. This location is just a folder in my user directory (c:\users\$username\EVE)
2) My "My documents" directory is stored on a linux fileserver.

With these two things, especially the latter, I can see there being strange permissions issues because innerspace is launching the EVE processes from a state of elevated privileges. I could also see issues with various PATH settings being different because of the same elevated privileges, etc.

It's worth noting that Eve works perfectly fine in this configuration when not using isboxer.

Does anyone have any insight on this?
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:48 pm

Re: Eve Online will not launch

I can't say I have any insight on what's going on for you since you're apparently using a pretty non-standard configuration... but...
can you try a normal EVE installation and see if you get different results?

It's not the elevated permissions causing your problem though.
<<

jackblitzen

Post Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:19 pm

Installing the game via the installer had no effect. I got things working by placing the "my documents" folder back my desktop instead of on the file server. Sounds like a good data point for the ISBoxer "best practices" document. :)
<<

jackblitzen

Post Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:22 pm

Just as a follow-up, applying the changes outlined in the following MS Technet article fixes the problem of not being able to launch eve from InnerSpace when using a network drive as your my documents folder. It was definitely UAC/Permisisons related.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee844140(v=ws.10).aspx

The Linked Article wrote:Click Start, type regedit in the Start programs and files box, and then press ENTER.
Locate and then right-click the registry subkey HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System.
Point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
Type EnableLinkedConnections, and then press ENTER.
Right-click EnableLinkedConnections, and then click Modify.
In the Value data box, type 1, and then click OK.
Exit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer.

Return to EVE Online