FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Assist / Follow

Moderator: MiRai

<<

rollin772

Post Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:51 pm

Assist / Follow

Hello all, I'm trying to get my follow / assist working in game other than having to make socials for /target <tank> /follow <tank etc etc.
Here is my config
https://pastebin.com/X7V8trT6

I use the SK MAG ENC DRU BRD CLR character set. I drive from the SK and rarely do I have an active pet. I've watched the video multiple times, I've read the 6 page thread about this which is locked so I can't post there. I've tried multiple mapped keys assigned to my /follow /assist socials in game. I was told that it could possibly need single character hotkey casuse EQ. So I tried that as well.

Everything typically refers to non-combat key maps but looking at the video it looks the same as my "base hotkeys". There, Follow Me leads to ISB42 Party Key Map >Follow me Active method. Going to ISB42 Party > Follow Me-Active Method it has a popup text -> all other with a text of "Follow Me: No Follow Method Active!". Maybe I'm not clear or understanding but doesn't that lead to a dead end? That should just pop up an onscreen text I don't see an actual action.

Any help with this would be much appreciated, when my tank dies usually means at least another person is gonna die cause I can't switch and turn on follow for everyone else before it's lights out.

Thanks,
<<

bob

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:22 pm

Re: Assist / Follow

The info you are missing is that the mapped key chain goes through a virtualization chain.

So this shows that when the Follow Me - Active Method is called, it will be replaced with Follow Main (Single Keybind).

If we look at that, it runs a Variable Keystroke -> Follow Main

Which in turn, if we look at that, does nothing.

Usually for the follow/assist (we'll focus on Follow, but Assist is much the same) from any window, you need something that will target the current main. The default for EQ would be the Follow Me (Target Slot) method, which uses the target party member keys (F1, F2, F3, F4, etc), followed by a key to trigger a social for "/follow"

This will then run,

Which will use the per slot targeting tables (handled under Variable Keystrokes PER SLOT), which is where each slot has a Key setup to indicate what key that toon needs to press to target a toon in a different slot (sometimes this requires testing in game to figure out which key goes where AND it usually relies on you having a consistent party Invite/Accept order for your toons).

The second step of the Follow Me (Target Slot) mapped key runs a variable Keystroke called Follow Target.

This is normally under the default Variable Keystrokes..

HOWEVER. These are "VARIABLE", and in your case, this is overridden at the character set.

So, essentially, to make it work, change the Virtual Mapped Keys on the character set level so the Follow Me Active Method will run the Follow Me (Target Slot) mapped key, and providing your in game social for "/follow" is set to NUMSUB, then it should start working.
<<

rollin772

Post Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:54 pm

Thank you Bob that fixed it for me. After changing it as you suggested it works like a charm thank you. Also not sure if that is new default but I do not recall actively changing any virtualization and I would not have known that needed to be changed if not for you.

Thanks
<<

bob

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:40 pm

The Quick Setup Wizard sets those Virtual Mapped Key values depending on the Follow/Assist mode selected when creating the team.
Most of the time you don't need to change them, but it certainly helps to know they are there when you are following the breadcrumb trail.
<<

skorahs

Post Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:53 pm

Thank you Bob for this very easy to follow guide on setting up follow/assist in EQ. Very well done explaining each step and providing the visual aides to follow along. This should be a sticky at the top of the EQ page. Greatly appreciated!

Return to EverQuest