FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Blank Screen Issues

Moderator: MiRai

<<

Fixxer

Post Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:44 pm

Blank Screen Issues

EQ patched yesterday and ever since then, when I open EQ with ISBoxer, the game screen goes blank. I really need some help here... Anyone have some ideas of what needs to be done to fix this issue?
<<

Fixxer

Post Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:56 am

Re: Blank Screen Issues

In addition, I have the problem on my laptop, but not my PC... I get the feeling the problem lies somewhere in the settings that position the game window on the screen and perhaps something to do with the aspect ratio.
<<

bob

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:17 am

Have you happened to have changed your laptop screen recently - sometimes a change in screen can modify the display numbering. Or maybe you've changed the resolution. This is also a potential cause. Certainly a new screen may have a different aspect ratio or resolution.

Usually in these cases, creating a new Window layout would resolve the above issues.
<<

Fixxer

Post Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:17 am

My current screen resolution is 1920x1080. I want my EQ windows to be 1664x1038. I want the game to think it is in full screen mode, but operate without covering up the task bar at the bottom of the screen. In game should have a view-pane with the information windows positioned around the outside of the view-pane...

After creating a new character set, I get a series of warnings that look something similar to what I list below...
* Game is in Full Screen mode. ISBoxer requires the game to be in Windowed mode.
* The ideal resolution for the game to be configured in based on your Window Layout is 1664x1040. Game has window width=1680.
* The ideal resolution for the game to be configured in based on your Window Layout is 1664x1040. Game has window height=1050.

If I tell ISBoxer to make changes for me, it completely hoses my character's in-game window layout...

As I said before, all the settings work fine on my PC, but on my laptop, the screen goes blank as ISBoxer repositions the window to fit the 1664x1038 resolution, centered on the screen...

Please help...

Thanks.
<<

bob

Post Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:29 am

if you have copied this ISBoxer profile across from your other computer, then you should really re-run the Window Layout Wizard and create a new window layout, because behind the scenes the Display Names, might be different. The names that are presented, e.g. \\.\DISPLAY1, are not made up, but they are references internal to Windows, and each Windows installation may have different name references. If you happen to be referencing a name (or device if you like) that doesn't actually exist in the installation, then things just get weird.

p.s. Sometimes driver updates also can cause Windows to reindex the devices, and stuff up the display names. Also unplugging and replugging in a monitor can do it, along with changing ports. Not that all of these will apply to a laptop scenario, but suffice to say, Windows is fickle.
<<

Fixxer

Post Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:48 am

Yes, I copied ISBoxer settings from another computer, but I have different character sets for each computer (one doesn't get used on the other).

The only window layout that is not having this problem on my laptop, is "No window layout"... Should I remove ISBoxer and start from scratch?
<<

bob

Post Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:51 am

No, I think you should run the Window Layout Wizard, and create a new window layout specifically for that computer.
<<

Fixxer

Post Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:05 pm

No layouts work at all... None of them. The only thing that works is to create a new layout, and leave the default "no window layout" as the selected option. ANYTHING else, results in the blank screen when ISBoxer positions the window during startup.
<<

bob

Post Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:50 pm

Ok, lets go back to the basics, but we'll do them all at once.

1. Get a diagnostic for crashes. http://isboxer.com/wiki/Diagnostics
2. Show use you profile. http://www.isboxer.com/wiki/Configuration_Sharing
3. Make & model of your laptop.
<<

MissTerious

Post Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:07 pm

He's right. It's related to the patch on Weds. Usually, when I load all 8, I can see previews of each. Now, I have to click on each box for the thumbnails. Also, the set will reload randomly as if my screen saver was activated when it's not.

Miss T
Next

Return to EverQuest