FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Individual Character Sets

Moderator: MiRai

<<

Abstruse

Post Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:26 am

Individual Character Sets

I ran the wizard and setup 3 separate Character Sets. My goal was to be able to launch 3 distinct groups, each on their own monitor, at will.

First grp popped fine, on correct monitor. I attempted to launch 2nd grp and although it went to the correct (another) monitor, it somehow collided with the first grp in that it grabbed the leader of grp 1 and stuck him on the 2nd monitor, loaded the leader of the 2nd grp, and stopped.

I went into the systray icon and reloaded the first grp, which was still running, and it put the misplaced leader of grp 1 back where he belonged. The leader of the 2nd grp remained on the right monitor but I can't get the rest of that grp to load.

My questions are:

1) Am I able to work with multiple distinct character sets as described above in my goal?

2) Why did the loading of the 2nd grp somehow collide or interfere with the 1st grp.

3) How do I move forward from here; getting any additional grp to load completely (and without interfering with any other grp)?

4) I have a subscription, is this the correct location for support? I looked and searched, this was all I could find.

I followed forum guidelines: My config xml is here: http://pastebin.com/hY6Phj7D

Thx in advance,

~ Abstruse

** Update **

Further investigation reveals that each slot of each character set coincides with other group's slot designation. Meaning, if I try to launch slot 2 of grp 2 while the entire grp 1 is running, it will grab slot 2 of grp 1 and put him in slot 2 of grp 2 (on the other monitor). They appear to be inexplicably intertwined. I run separate grps, doing separate things, at separate times. It is not feasible for me to create a single character set with 18 toons in it. Would seem silly to allow multiple character sets if we really have to put all toons in one, so I'm thinking that isn't the case. However, is that the reality of it? Do I have to put all 18 in one char set?
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:43 am

Re: Individual Character Sets

1. No, ISBoxer is designed to run a single Character Set. What you're asking for is, however, part of the design of ISBoxer 2.

2. Because ISBoxer is designed to run a single Character Set, when you launch your second team, it assumes you want it to take the place of your first and/or that you need some of the client windows re-launched (e.g. one crashed).

3. You can make one with 18 instead of 3x6

4. This looks like an appropriate location to ask questions about using ISBoxer with EverQuest to me. Kind of odd to ask?

Further investigation reveals that each slot of each character set coincides with other group's slot designation. Meaning, if I try to launch slot 2 of grp 2 while the entire grp 1 is running, it will grab slot 2 of grp 1 and put him in slot 2 of grp 2 (on the other monitor). They appear to be inexplicably intertwined. I run separate grps, doing separate things, at separate times. It is not feasible for me to create a single character set with 18 toons in it. Would seem silly to allow multiple character sets if we really have to put all toons in one, so I'm thinking that isn't the case. However, is that the reality of it? Do I have to put all 18 in one char set?

"Inexplicably" is not really the right word here, as the explanation is quite simple -- it's just not the behavior you were hoping for. You can run different groups doing different things at separate times, but it is going to take extra work on your part (as explained above).

It is absolutely feasible for you to create a Character Set with 18 toons in it and get what you want out of it. There are other EQ1 players with similarly unique (yes, think of it, you're pretty unique!) requirements and some of them have posted about what they do, in this very forum.

You don't need to tie an ISBoxer "Character" to an actual Character for example, in fact you can use one per Account if you always keep the accounts in the same spot. You don't need to launch all 18 at once, you can launch one Slot at a time if you want. You can set up Action Target Groups (commonly shortened to "ATGs") for each set of 6, and you can configure Broadcasting to use those ATGs. Your Window Layout can use multiple Swap Groups to manage each monitor independently.

It's really late here and I'm going to sleep, so I can't really give elaborate details on doing those things at the moment, but if you're interested we can help you through things.
<<

Abstruse

Post Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:26 pm

Thx for your response Lax!

I asked if this was right place because it's a forum post. I didn't want to be in a position where I was receiving dubious supposition from the general public as is customary in forums, as would be the only recourse if say I didn't have a subscription.

I am disappointed to know that I can't load groups at will, especially being able to load them on specific monitors, which seems to me to be the point of having monitor layout options. Glad this is coming in future releases.

iirc, IS will remember monitor placement once loaded and placed. So I will put all toons in one char set then individually select which ones I want to use at any given time. Hopefully, monitor layout selection wont preclude me being able to place them on a specific monitor (and be retained for future use).

** EDIT **
I am using IS in it's simplest form. I have other means of broadcasting and controlling toons that I am loathe to deviate from. I am not using any of the key mapping, cmd chaining, broadcast functions etc. I use it for load balancing, monitor retention, and toon loading.

Thx again,

~ Abstruse
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:32 pm

I am disappointed to know that I can't load groups at will, especially being able to load them on specific monitors, which seems to me to be the point of having monitor layout options.

Again, and I understand this is clearly difficult for you because you're looking at this through your eyes instead of the eyes of everyone else -- you're a special case. Most people don't run 3 separate groups, in fact most people don't run more than a few toons. The point of the Window Layout options is for everyone to lay out the windows as they desire; having multiple independent Character Sets that can be used simultaneously on the same PC is not something that even occurs to most people.

iirc, IS will remember monitor placement once loaded and placed.

IS is Inner Space without ISBoxer, and no it's not going to remember where you put a window or which monitor it's on... That is what Window Layouts are for ... The only relevant option Inner Space has for you without ISBoxer (and this is overridden by ISBoxer Window Layouts, so virtually nobody else on this site has any need for this setting at all) is in your Game Profile, to select which Monitor (and therefore GPU) to force the game to render with. For literally everyone else on this site, I point them to http://isboxer.com/wiki/GPU_Management because if you've got multiple GPUs there are some performance hits you need to avoid. Normally, ISBoxer will automatically select the correct Display/GPU for you based on your Window Layout.

Hopefully, monitor layout selection wont preclude me being able to place them on a specific monitor (and be retained for future use).

I honestly don't know what you're trying to say.
<<

Abstruse

Post Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:34 pm

Thx again Lax!

Sry for the confusion, I use the term IS as being synonymous with ISBoxer. As you mentioned, I don't work directly with Inner Space and neither do my peers.

Now I might be confusing ISB (like that?) with WinEQ2 (pro) when remembering monitor assignment after a toon was placed. In fact, given my particular needs, WinEQ2 might be a better fit for me. I know ppl who still use it (again, pro ver).

Hopefully, monitor layout selection wont preclude me being able to place them on a specific monitor (and be retained for future use).
I honestly don't know what you're trying to say.

You answered my worry. I meant I was hoping that I could choose different monitor layouts for different chars in the same char set. It doesn't look like I can, so although I can put all 18 (there are even more really) chars in one char set, it looks like they will have to all be assigned the same monitor layout thereby diminishing the benefit of having 3 monitors. I remain obstinate in wanting to have certain toons on certain monitors. Partly because only 2 of the monitors are the same size. Yes I tend to force a tool to my will, and I choose tools from that perspective knowingly.

I really can't see a one-layout template working for all toons that utilizes all 3 monitors. I can see 2 monitors where 1 might be tiling, but I don't like the diminished real estate that results from tiling and I don't need to see the thumbnails. They are too small to offer any visual aid, and even if they could be made bigger it would be at the cost of even more real estate.

Lemme pose this question; in your opinion, given all these toons, and 3 monitors, how would you suggest I proceed? Keeping in mind I don't like tiling, I don't want all 18+ toons on one monitor, and I prefer the toons logically grouped. That last looks to be wishful thinking.

WinEQ2 Pro?
Last edited by Abstruse on Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

bob

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:59 pm

Abstruse wrote:I meant I was hoping that I could choose different monitor layouts for different chars in the same char set.
You can choose for the Quick Setup Wizard (or Window Layout Wizard) to make a "simple" monitor layout based on your character set. If none of them suit, you can make your own (or modify the one generated by the Wizards).

Once you have a layout, and it is used for a set, then the positioning of the regions in the layout are fixed for the toons. A toon (slot) will normally have a Home Region, or be in an active region for that toons Swap Group. The Swap Groups are for grouping regions together (and thus slots/toons).

Abstruse wrote:It doesn't look like I can, so although I can put all 18 (there are even more really) chars in one char set, it looks like they will have to all be assigned the same monitor layout thereby diminishing the benefit of having 3 monitors. I remain obstinate in wanting to have certain toons on certain monitors. Partly because only 2 of the monitors are the same size. Yes I tend to force a tool to my will, and I choose tools from that perspective knowingly.
The Wizards generally only create layouts using up to two monitors, otherwise the number of combinations just gets silly. Get's pretty silly as it is sometimes. It might use all monitors if it can do 1 char per monitor.
If you want to use 3+ monitors in a Window Layout, you'll most likely need to roll your own. You have to remember, the wizards are to help beginners get started, or to simplify the process. They are not a one size fits all and do not cover every single option, just the most frequent, and the get you started ones.
The one Window Layout will apply to the whole character set. Because it is not designed to run multiple character sets it is also not designed to run multiple window layouts at the same time, nor switch them on the fly (games get all upset about resizing on the fly anyway, and it tends to mess with your UI).

Abstruse wrote:I really can't see a one-layout template working for all toons that utilizes all 3 monitors.
As stated above, you'll have to roll your own to use all three monitors. You can use the Wizard to get you started, then under the Window Layouts node in the top left, select the Window Layout, in the Lower Left select Regions, in the lower right, change it around as you want.

Abstruse wrote:Lemme pose this question; in your opinion, given all these toons, and 3 monitors, how would you suggest I proceed? Keeping in mind I don't like tiling, I don't want all 18+ toons on one monitor, and I prefer the toons logically grouped. That last looks to be wishful thinking.
I'd make use of swap groups and make the layout fit what I wanted it to do to bind the groups of toons to a specific monitor.
Whether it is logical to you is a different matter.

You might be able to do the same with WinEQ2. I have zero experience with it though so am not sure if it contains the full realm of possibilities as ISBoxer when it comes to Window Layouts with Swap Groups.

p.s. If using monitors of different resolutions with different swapg groups, you should also set a RESET REGION for each swap group on each monitor (unless you are using a Stacked type layout). The reset region determines the render size of the game (as opposed to the display size), and if using a non SLI multi GPU setup, is relevant to which gfx card is actually doing the rendering.
<<

Abstruse

Post Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:11 pm

Thx bob!

I am dissecting all you wrote and will post more...

** Update **

Ok, in thinking about everything you said, I decided to streamline my requirements and ascertain exactly what I actually need 'object' wise. Since I prefer to stack my toons because I manage entire groups(s) from one control character, I don't need Swap Groups, nor Reset Regions. I use external broadcast capabilities for all control so I don't need anything like ATG's, no key maps, no broadcasts, no VDFX, none of that. Not running multiple GPUs so don't need GPU strategy (default is working fine). I narrowed my requirements down to only group placement on each monitor, and basic CPU strategy.

Accordingly, I decided to revisit the flexible of the Window layouts, namely, the Regions as you mentioned. I installed 26 characters in a single Char Set, and started off with all 26 on one monitor. Then I took each group of 6 and dragged their respective 'slot' in region mode to one of the 3 monitors maintaining their grouping (see, that's logical)

Voila, preliminary tests are favorable! I haven't loaded 4 groups yet, nor any of the stragglers (traders, guild leaders etc). More observation will be needed, and I suspect some tweaking here and there, but other than not being able to load full groups on their own, I have achieved my goal.

Thx bob, for sending me in the right direction; recognizing the power/flexibility of the Window Layout post-wizard (by virtue of advising me to roll my own and alluding to it's potential), and listing some of the 'objects' that I can manipulate thus leading me to a place where I could exclude unwanted/unneeded functionality.

Thx again!

Return to EverQuest