FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

EQ Play Nice

Moderator: MiRai

<<

Ualaa

Grandmaster Guidesmith

Post Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:21 pm

EQ Play Nice

Is there a benefit to using 'EQ Play Nice', or does IS Boxer now cover everything EQ Play Nice used to do?
Streaming in 720p HD: www.twitch.tv/ualaa
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:40 pm

Re: EQ Play Nice

The main thing you would get from EQPlayNice is Rendering Limiting. This is essentially a strobing ("flashing") effect on the game world that most people don't like to look at, so with ISBoxer people don't generally want to use EQPlayNice. But, the benefit is that the game then uses less CPU and GPU to render background instances (because the game world only actually renders e.g. 1 time per second), while the game continues to operate at the same framerate. Therefore you can run more instances of EQ1 at higher framerate on the same hardware by using EQPlayNice, than without it. Auto-follow is faster and more reliable at higher framerates in EQ1, so EQPN was very beneficial for multiboxing when PC's couldn't keep up.

Today this is somewhat less beneficial as CPUs gain cores, and with ISBoxer you usually see all of the game windows at the same time so the strobing effect is more of an annoyance. For people who need the extra FPS and/or lower CPU/GPU usage in order to play the game, and can put up with the strobing, it is invaluable.
<<

Ualaa

Grandmaster Guidesmith

Post Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:25 am

Thanks for the clarification.

I've got 3930K, with 6 cores and 6 threads.
Should be plenty for six instances of the game.

I doubt I'll be going 12 accounts anytime soon.
Streaming in 720p HD: www.twitch.tv/ualaa
<<

Aelenar

Post Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:24 am

I play 7 instances on my laptop thanks to EQPN /cheer

- Intel® Core™ i5 430M/450M/460M/520M/540M 2.53 GHz ~ 2.26 GHz Processor
- NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 460M 1.5GB GDDR5 VRAM

Return to EverQuest