FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

assist working but not follow

Moderator: MiRai

<<

fjobb

Post Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:29 pm

assist working but not follow

Hey, just got this program yesterday and I have been trying for awhile now to get the assist and follow for the "slave" characters working. I have got it working for assist but not for the follow, and they seem to be the same thing pretty much so I am at a loss right now why it doesn't work, http://www.privatepaste.com/3aab34c770 is the url of the configuration file like it is suggested to use, can anybody clue a noob into why this is not working?

thanks for any help
<<

Mellesande

Post Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:03 pm

Re: assist working but not follow

First off, welcome. Stick with it, you'll love it.

Well, you've got a few things going on here. First some generic stuff that might help you grasp how to troubleshoot these issues better.

Here's the general concept: You tell ISB what you want it to do (the steps of a Mapped Key). Then you tell it what hotkey you want to press to make it execute those steps. That hotkey will be the key you actually press while playing but does NOT have to be the keybind you assigned inside your game that you are actually trying to make happen. You can keybind a command to A in game. Then create a Mapped Key that sends A but assign it the hotkey B. Now while playing you press B but what the game hears is A.

While playing, to get your toons to follow you need to press the hotkey that will trigger Follow Me found in the Non-combat Key Map. When you do so you want the steps in Follow Me to send the right message to the right toons to target the right person and then do the necessary in game command to Follow or Assist.

So to troubleshoot this, let's start with the Follow Me key map.

You've changed the Follow Me Key Map to send the Follow Target Variable Keystroke to a specific one of your toons twice. You need to change that back to default (similar to Assist Me). Set up the way you have it right now when you press the F key while playing you are sending Shift F to Vowels twice.

Step 1 should be <Target {Slot}> -> all Others. (This will tell ISB to tell every toon except the one you sent the command from to target the toon who sent the command.)
Step 2 should be <Follow Target> -> all Others. (This tells ISB to tell every toon except the one sending it to execute the highest ranking* Follow Target variable keystroke.)

*You've set up a variable keystroke assignment for your team at the global level, the set level and the slot level. The slot level is going to overwrite the set level which overrode the global level. At the set level you're telling ISB that your in game follow social is set to F. At the slot level you're telling it that its Shift F. You don't need them at the slot level unless your slots have different EQ keybinds (which this is intricate enough without that extra fun.)

Side note, always make sure that your team accepts their invites in their slot order or the slot targeting variable keystrokes will get fubared and then you have a whole new layer of WTF.

So to match the video and Alge's explanation: Fix your Follow Me key map in ISB. Get rid of the assist and follow stuff at the slot level. Make sure the assignments at the set level match your IN GAME keybind. Make sure you always invite your team in order.
<<

fjobb

Post Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:03 pm

Re: assist working but not follow

Thanks for that, I noticed the follow steps being messed up not long after I posted that, not sure how that got changed from the default, I don't remember changing either the assist or follow steps. I really hadn't got into looking at steps yet but that led me into the basic functions I was trying to set up just to get started with this thing, and I have it working now at a basic level that I can get used to and then look into adding more stuff in later, thanks again for the help.

Return to EverQuest