ISBoxing EverQuest: /Slash Commands and Text Strings

Moderator: MiRai

<<

firescue17

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:25 am

ISBoxing EverQuest: /Slash Commands and Text Strings

CREDIT
Credit is due Kresharth for this idea. I simply hijacked the concept and took it to the extreme.

DISCLAIMER
This method is limited in its approach:
  1. Big Thanks to Lax! As of Version 41.4.0623.1 we now have support for "New Key String Action" for commands which will (more info):
    1. *only* ever be sent to one Character *at a time* on *the same computer.*
    2. be sent to multiple Characters at the same time where the intended action is exactly the same.
  2. Text Strings which do not fit into the above two classifications can use New Keystroke Action to simulate Text Strings. This method is limited to a 15 character output including the "/", spaces, and "Enter." If one exceeds 15 characters in a single Mapped Key Step, the entire line of text will not be processed. With that said, one can use "Execute a Step when the Hotkey is Pressed or Released" to combine multiple 15 character snippets together (See Bandoliers Below).
  3. In order to send punctuation with the New Keystroke Action method, one must send any keystrokes to be modified by Shift in a separate Mapped Key Step.

THE CONCEPT
After reading Kresharth's post about handling "/follow" and "/assist," it occurred to me almost every Mapped Key I was broadcasting consisted of a /social made up of ... /slash commands. In many cases, I discovered I could do away with the /social entirely and just broadcast the /slash command itself. Originally, I used this method to run Dain's and OMM Monster Missions by Virtualizing my Character's normal abilities into a Shroud /alt activate command. This concept became exponentially more useful with the /useitem command implemented in May 2013.

The following Key Maps are a collection of various generic Mapped Keys templates sent to Self (Window: Current) as referenced in ISBoxing EQ: Keybinds. I have also included some random samples of other /slash commands one may find a use for. Once again, these Mapped Keys do nothing on their own and will have their Window Target defined elsewhere in the profile.

The template attached to the Table of Contents includes the first three categories as these are fixed /slash commands. This section includes screenshots for other various uses; however, they are not included in the template as those Mapped Key naming conventions may not match other users preferences.

PASTE FROM CLIPBOARD
This Key Map will be referenced frequently by other Mapped Keys which use "New Key String Action."
  • NOTE: Make sure to set CTRL-V as the Paste from Clipboard Hotkey inside EQ Options -> Keys -> All. By default, this Keybind is empty in the EQ client.

IMAGE 01

SPELLCASTING
This Key Map contains "New Keystroke Actions" to /cast all twelve spellgems as well as /stopcast for Casters and /stopsong for Bards.

IMAGE 02

USEITEMS
This Key Map contains "New Keystroke Actions" to /useitems for all 10 top-level inventory slots, 22 worn inventory slots (excluding the Power Source), and the first 20 internal bag slots for the first top-level inventory slot. SoE Patch Notes from May, 2013 [EDITED 2018-03-23: Deprecated Link. Please post a comment in the thread if there is another repository of patch notes available.] contain additional information regarding /useitem indexing.
  • NOTE: Be advised, the indexing for internal bag slots starts with 0. The Mapped Key naming convention in the template starts with 1.

IMAGE 03

BANDOLIERS
The following images illustrate how to combine multiple /slash command text strings into a single Mapped Key. Using "Execute a Step when the Hotkey is Pressed or Released" as highlighted in Image 06, one can execute a /slash command exceeding 15 characters in length with a single Keypress.

IMAGE 04

IMAGE 05

IMAGE 06

MEMSPELLSETS
This Key Map contains "New Keystroke Actions" to sit and memorize spellsets as determined by character class, level, and each player's individual preference (See also: Buffs and Spellsets).

IMAGE 07

GENERAL UTILITY
Image 08 contains examples I have found *extremely* useful. This section is by no means all inclusive.

"/Attack on," "/attack off," "/sit," and "/stand" are specific states. The Hotkey which can be made from the Actions Window Sit/Stand button is a toggle. Have you ever tried to get all your characters to sit when some are standing? Broadcasting to the Hotbutton makes the Characters sitting, stand; and the Characters standing, sit. There is no way to resolve the sync issue without Alt-Tabbing or turning on the repeater and manually typing "/sit" or "/stand" (See also: General Utility).

A similar scenario may when each Characters attack state is not in sync. Broadcasting to a Hotbutton, or the default "Q," will make characters with attack on, turn it off; and characters with attack off, turn it back on. Group invisibility does not stick very well when attack is on (See also: General Utility).

Have you ever been forced to Alt-Tab multiple times to drop a DZ or Raid? Ever tried to find all your corpses after a wipe? All these situations can be remedied by sending "/dzquit," "/raiddisband," or F1 and "/corpse" to Window: All w/Current. This is all accomplished with a one and done Keypress with no Alt-Tabbing and without wasting a valuable /social slot on a ton of single line macros.

IMAGE 08

ALTERNATE ABILITIES (AAs)
Image 09 is a snapshot of the AA text strings in my actual profile for Old Man McKenzie Monster Missions. The /alt activate codes were captured by executing the "/alt list" command while in shroud form after zoning into the Mission. After compiling the abilities I found most useful, I set up Mapped Keys with the /alt activate text strings and proceeded to Virtualize them with the Like a Pro method.

IMAGE 09

WHAT!? WHY WOULD I WANT TO DO THIS?
Image 10 is a dummy Mapped Key created to illustrate how powerful the synergy between Keybinds, Text Strings and ISBoxer's Virtualization really is.

IMAGE 10

Let's presume you're playing on a Druid. You have a snare /social normally mapped to the ninth Button on your tenth Hotbar (HB10:B09):
  • You want to jump into an OMM Monster Mission and play a Shadowknight? Done. Snare is now the shroud's /alt activate Clinging Darkness.
  • You want to Virtualize Snare as Vinelash Cascade on your spellbar to AoE Snare/Root Redfang's adds in DSK? Done. Snare is now /cast 5.
  • You need to root park a mob with your Slimy Ooze Injector? Done. Snare is now using the third item in your first bag.
  • The mob resisted your Root clicky and is fleeing at low HP. Maybe you can kill it with your .8 second Nuke clicky? Done. The third item in your first bag is now your Breastplate.
  • You misjudged the HP. The mob didn't die. It has fled out of range. You can't pursue and cast at the same time. Done. Snare is now your Sap Encrusted Branch so you can simultaneously pursue and melee while hoping for a weapon proc.

The example above illustrates two separate concepts:
  1. Event switching for Monster Missions or Raids; and
  2. an abstract of a Cascading Combat Chain where your character is always doing something, always has a fallback position, and never misses an "Action Window" by wasting Keypresses on abilities which are on cooldown.

In other games, this is very easy due to a Global Cool Down. With EQ cooldowns spanning instant re-use to over one hour, this is an extremely complicated process. This issue is further complicated by active /socials being canceled by subsequent Keypresses or Right Mouse Clicks as well as the bug of being able to inject target switches in between the processing of individual /social lines.

RETURN TO ISBOXING EVERQUEST: TABLE OF CONTENTS

The End.

2018-03-23: Fixed broken image links, reference links, and typos.
Last edited by firescue17 on Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:42 am, edited 37 times in total.
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:58 am

Re: ISBoxing EverQuest: /Slash Commands and Text Strings

Thank you for posting this!

I have an improvement to share with you.

1) "Key String Action" does not work between ISBoxer and EQ in spite of the fact one can set a hotkey to paste into EQ from the Windows clipboard.

The original implementation of Key String Action actually didn't touch the Windows clipboard, because if it can be avoided it's usually better to not break anyone's normal usage of the clipboard. As of 41.4.0623.1, now available via Help->About, there is now a "Fill Windows Clipboard with the Text" check box so that you can use the game's built-in support of Paste via Hotkey.

So to use any Slash command or paste anything into the chat box, the new Mapped Key goes like this:

Keystroke Action: Enter -> self -- open the chat box
Key String Action: "/cast 1" -> self -- (with the clipboard box checked) copies "/cast 1" into the Clipboard. also attempts to paste the text, but nothing happens.
Keystroke Action: Ctrl+V -> self -- (with the game's Paste Hotkey set to Ctrl+V) pastes "/cast 1" into the chat box
Keystroke Action: Enter -> self -- presses enter after filling the chat box

Alternatively you can probably open with / -> self, and a Key String Action containing just "cast 1" instead of "/cast 1".

This also opens the possibility of simplified auto-follow of any of your characters: Key String Action "/follow {CHARACTER}" -> all other. (Apparently not in EQ1, which doesn't accept a character name to /follow... but may work well in other games)

Enjoy :)
<<

firescue17

Post Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:43 pm

There are no words to express my gratitude for this!

I'll update the screenshots, templates, and OP soon.
<<

firescue17

Post Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:57 pm

Hmm. I've seen this before when cobbling Key Stroke Actions together (like with punctuation). I'm now seeing this same behavior trying to use this new method.

Action 1: / -> Self (Keystroke)
Action 2: cast 2 -> Self (Key String)
Action 3: Enter -> Self (Keystroke)

is outputting in the debugging console:

Button: from keystroke@is1: nomodifiers /+Enter
Paste: cast 2

Replacing the "/" with "Enter" to open outputs:

Button: from keystroke@is1: nomodifiers Enter+Enter
Paste: cast 2

ISBoxer appears to be grouping the Key Strokes Actions together and processing them simultaneously, then the Key String Action, next.

[EDIT: DELETED. The deleted section was completely wrong and would not work under any circumstances. My bad.]
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:02 pm

ISBoxer will combine the Keystrokes that go to the same Target, you're correct.

You can put the Key String Action at the top since all it needs to do is set the clipboard, before the ctrl+v goes through
<<

firescue17

Post Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:00 pm

I have a couple more questions, please bear with my ignorance. The answers might be radically obvious to some.

1) Say you sit down to play on the weekend for an 8 hour session, will spamming the Windows Clipboard every few seconds present any potential for performance degradation due to buffering/caching/RAM or other mysterious goings on inside one's computer? I know this can happen with giant amounts of data, for example, during graphics editing.

2) I'm generally aware there is an order to the way things are processed by computers, ISBoxer and the minute time frames involved.

Using the example in the OP, what happens if one sends Combat: Snare to Window: All w/Current and multiple characters attempt to access the clipboard with different text on the same Keypress Down / Up. Is it going to jam up somehow? Is there potential for overlap if a first character session lags out and second character makes a clipboard access and grabs the first characters text?

Or, and this is my assumption, every character gets their own turn and it all happens faster than a speeding bullet such that the User sees in-game results which appear "simultaneous."

Thanks, Lax.
Last edited by firescue17 on Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

firescue17

Post Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:52 pm

firescue17 wrote:what happens if one sends Combat: Snare to Window: All w/Current and multiple characters attempt to access the clipboard with different text on the same Keypress Down / Up. Is it going to jam up somehow? Is there potential for overlap if a first character session lags out and second character makes a clipboard access and grabs the first characters text?

Ok, after some testing in-game, some, or all of the above is occurring. It's too complicated for me to figure out, but my characters are getting mismatched commands when sending different clipboard pastes to multiple ATGs or Characters on the same Keypress.

For example:

Combat Stance: Default
Action 1: /memspellset poison -> Shadowknight
Action 2: /memspellset attack 1 -> Bard

results in both Characters receiving "attack 1." I *think* (am not positive by any means whatsoever at all) from my testing the last clipboard action in a single Step is what is being sent. So, in the above example, the clipboard gets /memspellset poison from Action 1, is immediately overwritten by /memspellset attack 1 from Action 2, and attack 1 is pasted to both characters.

The clipboard change is still a great improvement as is. It can definitely be used for group formation stuff: /invite <name>, /grouproleset <name> #, /xtarget set <name> #, /sit, /stand; basically any command which will:

1) *only* ever be sent to one Character *at a time*
2) be sent to multiple Characters at the same time where the intended action is exactly the same.
<<

firescue17

Post Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:21 pm

Updated to include Paste from Clipboard. See Image 01.
<<

scartomyzon

Post Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:35 pm

lax wrote:
This also opens the possibility of simplified auto-follow of any of your characters: Key String Action "/follow {CHARACTER}" -> all other. (Apparently not in EQ1, which doesn't accept a character name to /follow... but may work well in other games)

Enjoy :)

Lax, is it possible to use Variables (i.e., WoW:MAcro Variable) in the pasted text? I tried using {SLOT #} and debug console just showed {SLOT #} and not the name of the character in that slot. This would make auto-follow way simple and could potentially open up a whole lot of cool things in EQ.

Scart

EDIT: Answered my own question, yes this works with Variable {CHARACTER}...now to redo the follow/assist that will now be entirely virtual-ized!
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:36 pm

http://isboxer.com/wiki/Variables lists the 3 specific variables currently available in Popup Text Action, Variable Keystroke Action, etc :)
Next

Return to EverQuest