FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Problems with v41 vs. v38ish

Moderator: MiRai

<<

pmr

Post Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:57 am

Problems with v41 vs. v38ish

I haven't used ISBoxer in a few months. I'm guessing my previous version/build was 38 or so. I upgraded to v41 and I can't get anything to work.

First off, I'm the CEO of a software company. Here's some advice (which if you want me to continue as a customer you won't just listen to, but will actively follow in the future): Don't ever change functionality. I'll explain explicitly below. Sometimes you can disable old functions and replace them with new features, but that has to be done very carefully. Most users never tap the true power of any software - so don't expect them to. I saw a reply on these boards to a user wanting to use an older version and the reply contained disdain. You won't have any customers if you insult and belittle your customers. And that's exactly how it read. Your customers use ISBoxer in their FREE time; this isn't WORK time. I'm not getting paid to fiddle with the settings of your new version. From my point of view, you broke what was working. You need to seriously address how you approach your business. Writing code is not the only aspect of a software business. I've been a satisfied customer for a long time leading up to this, so you've earned enough good will for me to work through this hump. However, repeating these mistakes into the future will end my use of your product.

Now to my issue:

I play EQ. All I want to accomplish at the moment is this:

I want the toggle icons in the upper left to switch on Key Maps and Repeater. When I used the Wizard to create a new character set in v41, I didn't get this. Then I read that the Toggles were in the Menu item and I dragged them to my Character set. They now appear, but don't work because whenever I push the "1" key, it turns off Key Maps (when they were on). When I hit the "2" key, it deactivates Repeater and I can then never get it back on. This is the change in functionality that I mentioned above. How can it possibly be that the "1" and/or "2" key, which are probably the most used by all customers, ever be setup to toggle Key Maps/Repeater on/off (or disable it seemingly)? How was this possible under any standard configuration? This should require seriously customer re-writing of defaults to ever happen, and yet I've done it within seconds of launching the new version of your product.

I want the 1-= keys to activate the EQ in-game menu buttons of the same type to all screens. For some reason, due to the above, this isn't working. I have my own EQ key maps that I created for this (a key map of 1-= that push 1-= to all windows) and would like to use, but I can't get it to work.

I want windows management. This continues to work as before and I have no issue with it with regards to v41.

And that's all I really want. I know I could be doing so much more with your software, but the above was enough for me.

Which brings me to Menu's and your new green little boxes. While this feature might be a substantial move forward, as your customer, I'l move forward when I'm ready. To be ready, I have to be comfortable with it. I'm not ready to experiment with your new features yet. I'm looking to fix what was broken. Then, when I deem my free time might be sufficiently reward to investigate your new features, I'll research them.

Also, I didn't realize I was choosing the little green boxes. To my recollection, it wasn't obvious from the Quick Setup Wizard that I would end up with little green boxes. My advice is to make that clearer. But what I did get was the Quick Setup Configuration conflict window pop-up when I made my first new Character set in v41. I had no idea which of the 4 options I should have picked. And that's the point. While you work with the software all the time and therefore know the definition and nuance of ever term in your product, I certainly don't. I configured my use of your product over a year ago. Now if you want to think I'm just some idiot and make a reply similar to

Yeah, turns out some long time ISBoxer users have the "not paying attention at all" syndrome

then go ahead. But you'll lose my cash. Yes, I don't pay attention because I'm playing games. I spend my work time working and my free time playing games. Spending my free time following every potential upcoming change of your software isn't on my list of things to do normally. My goal isn't to know every possible feature and outcome of each decision that you prompt for. My goal is to minimize the amount of knowledge I need of your product to simply play my games. And I don't see a problem with that for myself nor for the customers of the software business I work at who just want to know enough to achieve the functionality they desire.

I'd post my configuration, but I've used several and have made several changes to each of those versions. Oh and due to your new version, the EQ1 Quick Start Guide wiki isn't current anymore. Or it didn't help me when I reviewed it again this morning.

So what I would like is the following: just post what settings I should use in the Quick Start Wizard to make up a new Character set that gets me my 2 toggle buttons, allows me to drag my EQ Key Maps (which is a Key Map of 1-=), and doesn't cause conflict between the two. If this can't be accomplished, and I need to move to Menu/Green Boxes/ whatever, please explicitly state that.

Thank you.
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:10 am

Re: Problems with v41 vs. v38ish

I want the toggle icons in the upper left to switch on Key Maps and Repeater. When I used the Wizard to create a new character set in v41, I didn't get this.

That's the most basic thing built into the wizard in all versions.

Then I read that the Toggles were in the Menu item and I dragged them to my Character set.

Unless you changed your Config Style on the last page of the wizard to "Bare", the Toggles Menu is assigned to your Character Set by the wizard.

They now appear, but don't work because whenever I push the "1" key, it turns off Key Maps (when they were on). When I hit the "2" key, it deactivates Repeater and I can then never get it back on. This is the change in functionality that I mentioned above. How can it possibly be that the "1" and/or "2" key, which are probably the most used by all customers, ever be setup to toggle Key Maps/Repeater on/off (or disable it seemingly)? How was this possible under any standard configuration? This should require seriously customer re-writing of defaults to ever happen, and yet I've done it within seconds of launching the new version of your product.

This is not done by the wizard, and I would have to see your configuration in order to tell you what you did in order for it to happen. This is not a change in functionality, it was not set up by the wizard.

I want the 1-= keys to activate the EQ in-game menu buttons of the same type to all screens. For some reason, due to the above, this isn't working. I have my own EQ key maps that I created for this (a key map of 1-= that push 1-= to all windows) and would like to use, but I can't get it to work.

That's fine, it should take half of a second to get that. Again it would help to see your configuration.

Also, I didn't realize I was choosing the little green boxes. To my recollection, it wasn't obvious from the Quick Setup Wizard that I would end up with little green boxes. My advice is to make that clearer.

I agree, that should probably be made clearer.

But what I did get was the Quick Setup Configuration conflict window pop-up when I made my first new Character set in v41. I had no idea which of the 4 options I should have picked. And that's the point. While you work with the software all the time and therefore know the definition and nuance of ever term in your product, I certainly don't. I configured my use of your product over a year ago.

The options aren't all that cryptic. One says it might break your old character set by replacing your old configuration. One says it might break your new character set by using your old configuration. One says it will avoid breaking anything by using new copies. The last option aborts the whole thing.

It sounds like you chose the option that breaks the new Character Set, and then most of your confusion lies in not knowing how to link it up to your old configuration. Does that sound right?

Now if you want to think I'm just some idiot and make a reply similar to

I explained to that person that I need information in order to move forward, and his post provided none, just made demands. Your post is not the same.

So what I would like is the following: just post what settings I should use in the Quick Start Wizard to make up a new Character set that gets me my 2 toggle buttons, allows me to drag my EQ Key Maps (which is a Key Map of 1-=), and doesn't cause conflict between the two. If this can't be accomplished, and I need to move to Menu/Green Boxes/ whatever, please explicitly state that.

All of what you're asking for right now, is automatically done for you. You could just choose the defaults on every page, and if you get the conflict box, click the top one that says use new Key Maps. You can also back up your old configuration (e.g. File, Save As) and go to File and select Clear. If you don't want the Standard Menu (green boxes), click the Key Maps option at the bottom of the configuration style page.
<<

pmr

Post Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:50 am

Lax,

I created a new Character Set using the Quick Setup Wizard and used default settings like you suggested. I used the MMO-Standard and the invisible Key Maps. I did get the conflict box again (should this be popping up on a new character set? is it because of my previous Key Map set that I created?) and choose the first option.

However, things aren't working.

First, the Toggle icons. When I click on the toggle icons, I get the screen splash that Key Maps are On/Off and the Broadcast is On/Off. However, two things. One, the green/grey arrows in the icon don't change color. For Key Maps, it's always green; for Repeater, it's always grey - doesn't matter whether they are on or off. So the visual indication isn't working. Second, while I'm getting the screen splash, the functionality of Key Map isn't changing. In short, my Key Map isn't mapping. When I push "1", "1" is only activated on the main screen, not the additional. Same with all of them. Repeater works however.

http://www.privatepaste.com/5b405e3f6f

The Character Set I'm working on is the last listed - "EQ Test Lax".
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:53 am

Thank you for providing your configuration. I have now solved multiple bugs relating to your issue. If that last guy had provided his configuration when I asked, this might have already been solved.

Code:
ISBoxer 41.4.0608.1
    * When adding Click Bar/Menu Images it is now possible to select more than one image file at a time
    * Quick Setup Wizard updates:
        o The Control Styles page now includes a picture of the Standard Menu to hopefully make it a little more obvious
        o Fixed a bug with the invisible Key Map option that resulted in '1' being assigned to the Hotkey and Key Combination to send, for all of the 1 through = keys
        o Fixed a bug with the Toggles buttons not working for new setups that needed renamed Key Maps to resolve conflicts

This update is available via Help->About ISBoxer.

It doesn't auto-correct what it incorrectly generated for you. You CAN open up your pre-ISBoxer 41 configuration -- ISBoxer backed it up for you when you updated to 41. Go to File and select Open, and in the filename box put "*.xml.*" and find the one you want. For example my ISBoxer 38 configuration is saved as "ISBoxerToolkitProfile.joe.XML.38". You can then re-save it as a new name. (File, Save As)

Then using the Wizard again should work correctly for you, with this update.

I did get the conflict box again (should this be popping up on a new character set? is it because of my previous Key Map set that I created?) and choose the first option.

It's always going to pop up when you have an ISBoxer 40 or prior configuration, and are generating an ISBoxer 41 Character Set, because at LEAST the Toggles from the old one are not compatible with the Toggles from the new one and it doesn't want to generate a broken configuration (bugs notwithstanding). I had it just automatically renaming the Key Maps and not popping up this box, but then people were taken by surprise that it happened at all and that's worse.

Should you in the future start with a clean configuration (e.g. File, Clear), then this box will only come up when your new config is incompatible with your existing one (for example because in one case you picked the Key Map option and in another you picked the Menu option).

Thanks for providing the details, this should now be permanently solved. Please let me know.
<<

pmr

Post Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:28 pm

Since in the past I've backed up my ISBoxerToolkit, I decided to start fresh and use File-Clear. I then exported this to IS, saved it and created a clear backup.

I used the Wizard to setup EQ with the nopatch profile, used MMO-Standard (but did take out the Follow Me and Assist Me Alt keys) with invisible Hotkeys.

I logged in and everything seems to be working. I'm not worried about my other character sets since I can re-create them easily now.

Thank you.

p.s. Do you plan on having ISBoxer running EQNext during beta/live? Or do you expect a delay?
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:32 pm

Thanks for confirming for me :)

Yes, I do hope to support EQNext (I hope they change the name though) as soon as I get access to it. If that's beta (likely open beta phase) then I'll work on it during beta. I don't expect a delay, though really it depends on the game design so I won't know for sure until I have access.

Return to EverQuest