FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

What group compositions are people using?

Moderator: MiRai

<<

Ualaa

Grandmaster Guidesmith

Post Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:57 am

What group compositions are people using?

The whole 'Free to Play' thing has piqued my curiosity of Everquest.
It's been a several years since I visited Norrath, but the nostalgia remains.

I've been doing a bit of research, and am leaning towards running:

3x Necromancer (DPS)
1x Bard (Utility)
1x Druid (Ports, Heals)
1x Shadow Knight, or 1x Monk, or 1x Magician [Pet] (Tank).

Not being sure on current class or game mechanics, I'm not sure if that is viable or not.
Hearing what others are using, or thoughts on my proposed team would be appreciated.
Streaming in 720p HD: www.twitch.tv/ualaa
<<

firescue17

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:15 am

Re: What group compositions are people using?

I read your thread on the SoE boards also. Some of this info pertains to that post. The short answer, if you never, ever, ever, ever want to run a Raid DZ, do whatever. It won't matter.

In group content, anything will work. If you're going to run a mostly homogeneous group I would run 3 or 4 x Mage, Bard, Druid. It's much easier to set up cascading combat chains for nukes than it is to stack 3 or 4 x DoTs on 3 or 4 or 5 characters - X number of Necros and a Druid. A burst DPS mage group will have the mob dead before the Necros and Druids got 1/4 of the way through their DoT macro. I would recommend a Paladin Tank over SK for a second Radiant Curer/Splash Curer. I would not be comfortable with only a single curer which leaves: SK tank and 2 of Druid, Shaman or Cleric; or Paladin and any 1 Druid, Shaman or Cleric.

For easy button group mode:
Paly
Bard
Druid
3 x Mage with the mages slots replaced by mercs depending upon content and how hard you feel like working that day.

Group content focus or not, my personal opinion, if one is going to go through the effort of building an EQ crew which even in today's game could take 6 months to even approach viability, why would you want to lock yourself out of the most interesting and challenging content, Raids, by not having a well rounded group. Raids are the ultimate achievement in big boxing. Even if the content is not current, I would venture most of the satisfaction in big boxing comes from figuring out the logic and synergy in making your crew operate in unison; handling complex scripts, emotes, bane clickies, all that jazz.

I've read your various threads here on this forum. Any beginner can set up a window layout, drag X number of toons around on auto-follow and broadcast <nuke> to all the windows. I think you'll be bored. I've done it [EDIT: the homogeneous Mage thing]. The "blow shit up" thrill wore off after about 10 minutes.

FTP Apprentice Mercs are pretty worthless after 70 to 75 in level appropriate content. With that said, I run a 5 box to save room for 1 merc and occasionally drop down to 4 boxes with tank/dps merc and a healer merc when farming old, open world content. FTP mercs are a great workhorse for DPS and maintenance heals when survivability does not depend upon them.

Mercs can not be used inside Raid instances. With the new(ish since you last played) achievement system, If you ever think you'll want to run some old raids, BiC, Anguish, Frostcrypt ... anything really, you will need a PC tank. For old content, you probably won't need the extra mitigation of a Warrior. That leaves Shadowknight (AoE aggro, Harm Touch, Snare) or Paladin (AoE aggro, group heals, area splash cures). I'm currently running an SK and some days wish it was a Paly if only for a change of pace and to say I did it.

While transportation may not be the issue it once was, it is still a consideration. Evac is nice. Group port to bind is nice. CotH is nice. I would leave room for a Druid or Wizard, with my preference being the Druid for snare, track and group buffs such as Spirit of the Wolf/Wood. Disregarding CotH, I would add a mage anyway for the purpose of pet tanking open world content and DPS, which then adds CotH by default.

Bard. They are a must have. Their ADPS and other unique abilites such as single target permanent mez, fade, etc are too valuable to go without. I would never build a box group without a Bard. No offense to single player Enchanters, while their crowd control abilities are top notch, it requires too much micromanagement to big box.

Cleric. They're kind of a leech in big box group content, but again, invaluable for raid instances. While the healing advantage of a cleric as the primary healer over Druid or Shaman may not be required, considering Divine Arbitration, Epic Arbitration and DI I would not recommend building a box group without at least having access to a Cleric on a separate account. The big issue with boxing a cleric is not the question of whether or not it will be needed at some point, but how do you skill and XP the Cleric if not dragging it along in group content. My cleric is the first account to be replaced by a second merc when I don't feel like working too hard.

Since you're starting from scratch, it is impossible to go wrong with a balanced group. It is possible to go wrong with a homogeneous group. Even if you don't buy the "no raid DZ" boredom point at this time, my ultimate, best recommendation would be for a well rounded group:
Sk/Paly
Bard
Druid
Shaman
Mage
Cleric

Feel free to send Arora a tell on Vox if you'd like.
<<

Ualaa

Grandmaster Guidesmith

Post Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:49 pm

I figured, start from level 1 and work my way up.

Having logged into the client, the interface is completely different from what I remember.
And not having played the game in ten years or so, I won't be current on game or class mechanics.

That said, I have found the information for three of my five accounts.
That gets me access to:
a) 60 Druid
b) 60 Cleric w/Epic 1.0
c) 60 Rogue w/Epic 1.0 or 55 Bard.

So I don't necessarily have to start, absolutely from scratch.
I just figured that would be a good way to learn the game and the classes.

Having played Wow since release, there's a good chance EQ will be a trip for nostalgia but not a permanent stay.
Then again, with the advent of Free to Play it is an option to bounce between the two games.
Streaming in 720p HD: www.twitch.tv/ualaa
<<

firescue17

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:17 pm

Ualaa wrote:Having played Wow since release, there's a good chance EQ will be a trip for nostalgia but not a permanent stay.
Then again, with the advent of Free to Play it is an option to bounce between the two games.

That's kinda what I figured. You're absolutely right though, without a subscription to maintain, your characters are there waiting for you whenever; Wow patch days, change of pace, or what have you.

Ualaa wrote:That said, I have found the information for three of my five accounts.

That's great news. Regardless if you use those particular characters, those three accounts will be grandfathered into Silver (the middle tier) accounts. That will allow access to Apprentice 5 Mercs on those accounts. Bronze (the bottom tier totally FTP) accounts only have access to Apprentice 2. Considering the Apprentice 5 Mercs are under powered at best, the Apprentice 2 are total junk.

In addition, characters on Silver accounts are allowed 1000 AA vs. 250 before needing to purchase unlockers. I'd highly recommend the one time investment of $5 to upgrade accounts 4, 5 and 6 to Silver. That, combined with the race/class unlockers is a one time investment of $20 - $40 to get your crew set up. That's all the money there is to spend until you hit 70 - 80 and the 1000 AA cap. As a secondary game, that could last a long time.
<<

Shadow Hawk

Post Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:27 pm

I have been running this combination for a few weeks amd it's working well for me.

91 Beastlord
85 Mage
79 bard

I spend a couple hours each morning in HoT courtyard just grinding AA's and getting some level xp for the bard. The BL and Mage both have J5 mercs, tank and healer while the bard (on a silver account) has an apprentice teir 5 wizard.

If I feel like doing something else, I can always swap out the BL for an 85 Warrior or an 82 Pally.

My pc was throwing fits trying to 3 box until I upped the ram from 4 to 8 gb and swapped out my old Nvidia GT220 1gb for a Radeon HD7750 2gb card. I still get some slow down in fps but nowhere as bad as it was.

I don't use the video feeds option though and do all of my targetting and nuking from the key map sets I created.

ISBoxer truely is an amazing tool :)

Return to EverQuest