FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

VERY slow after today's EQ patch

Moderator: MiRai

<<

SDFan

Post Wed Jan 17, 2024 6:08 pm

VERY slow after today's EQ patch

I 6-box and have been running the developmental patch for Innerspace. It completely solved my problem with intermittent clicks that several others reported, and the past month or so it's been silky smooth.

Today, after the Everquest patch, the game runs fine when running without ISBoxer and Innerspace. A single session runs silky smooth and looks great. When I load up ISBoxer and Innerspace and launch a single character, the game is extremely jerky and frequently flashes on and off almost like a strobe effect. I updated to the newest development version 7232, but it didn't help.

It's also now overlaying the logout screen over the in-game screen. I don't know how to paste a screenshot here.

I'm guessing you may already know about these issues but wanted to make sure. It's unplayable for me now.

System specs should be fine. 16GB RAM, Ryzen 5 5600X, DirectX 12, GeForce RTX 3060 Ti, SSD, etc. Like I said, the game ran fine yesterday, so something about today's DirectX updates seems to have broken something with ISBoxer/Innerspace.
<<

SDFan

Post Wed Jan 17, 2024 6:09 pm

Re: VERY slow after today's EQ patch

Just a quick folllow-up - the flashing happens when I log into or out of a character. It's like a seizure-inducing strobe effect the entire time my character is logging in our out.
<<

nikatjef

Post Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:21 pm

I am having the same issue. Currently using build 7232 (2024-01-14 00:14:37)
<<

BoxerMinion

Post Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:42 pm

Quick/Short note - check "Limit framerate..." in Character Set > Slot (for each slot)

I was using 70/70 foreground/background prior to today in ISB settings
Tested with a client loaded outside of ISB and had no video slowness - noticed I have Max Frames and background set to "unlimited" in the EQ client settings
set ISB settings to 140/70 foreground/background = no video slowness

misc. note had to re-login like 10 times to the board until i checked that box "log me in automatically every time" something.
<<

safeashouses

Post Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:43 pm

I am having this issue as well.

The EQ client runs fine when opened through the official Launcher without ISBoxer. The graphics are smooth as butter (running at 110-120 fps or so).

However, when I use ISBoxer to launch the game, I am getting flickering textures and it feels as though the game is limited to 20 fps or so, which is giving me a headache while trying to play. I also get the strobing effect described above during loading screens.

I have confirmed all configuration settings related to FPS limiting are disabled. I am running the dev version, build 7232 (which also was needed to fixed the "Video card check for dx 11 Fatal Error", which also occurred after this last patch).

Thanks for your time... if there is a fix for this on the horizon, or if there is something I could try, it would be great.
<<

intotheclouds

Post Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:57 pm

Same exact issue. i box 6 and have these issues. a friend that boxes 3 as well.
Flashing/flickering when zoning

and

Video lag.

when you turn it is as if you are on ice, where it doesnt stop when you stop. only off by a little but extremely noticeable. I have a good desktop computer with no lag in PoK before the patch. after the patch in isboxer feels like i am playing on my older laptop. it also seems to affect actions with timers. many actions are not working correct because of the little lag.

when i go in without isboxer it work perfect.

hope they can fix this.

thanks

****update*****

the 140/70 fixed my lag for the most part...... thanks!! as noted the flicker is still there.
Last edited by intotheclouds on Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

bob

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:03 pm

It does seem that setting a high FPS (80+) perf in ISBoxer for foreground/background improves things. Even if the game is not going to be rendered at that FPS. In game limiter could be used to slow things down if required.

It has been noted by others that you may need to clear (remove/backup and remove) the the ini files for the characters due to old settings interfering.
If the patch process updated the base file this would not necessarily carry across to the character specific ones used by ISBoxer.

Yes, the flickering on loading screens is known. This is due to how EQ is limiting re-rendering on the screen which then means that some sections of the screen are not being refreshed each frame, and when they do, it "flickers".

Textures flickering is a new one.
<<

nikatjef

Post Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:17 pm

bob wrote:It does seem that setting a high FPS (80+) perf in ISBoxer for foreground/background improves things.

Same. I am seeing improved performance once I disable the rate limiters, but I am now seeing other issues, such as frame jumping and near seizure-inducing flashing when I zone. :(
<<

BoxerMinion

Post Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:21 pm

I will add that I did update Nvidia drivers from 546.01 to 546.65 (Game Ready Drivers) - Never really keep on top of this and only when there is a problem I update.

I figured, if EQ development did something they might be utilizing some newer driver features.. who knows (also using a GeForce RTX 3060 Ti)

Lastly, using the latest Development version of Inner Space 1.19 - 7232 (with Disable New Virtual Input [unchecked])
(i go back and forth on this setting, so it may not be related)

not-related: my login issue was on another system/browser and seems to be a local problem.
<<

BoxerMinion

Post Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:56 pm

Might have identified the flickering during zoning, yes have experienced it (blackout is not working correctly?)

During the Final Fugue mission when the screen is supposed to go black (incoming arrows graze your eyes) it does not go black but insane jittering/flickering of frozen-like graphics.

When you zone, the screen is supposed to go black with the logo in the middle - this does not happen, same insane jittering/flickering of frozen-like graphics until you finish zoning.
Next

Return to EverQuest