FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

CTRL / ALT stuck keys, mouse stuck/laggging and Inner Space

Moderator: MiRai

<<

BoxerMinion

Post Thu Sep 21, 2023 12:18 am

CTRL / ALT stuck keys, mouse stuck/laggging and Inner Space

Hola! - Created a new post even through there are some other posts that cover some of the issues in other sub forums.

Only experienced this issue today (after the EQ patch day) so was unsure if it was related to EQ patching or Inner Space.

Without getting into too much detail (EQ patched to September 20th and Inner Space patched to 1.19 Build 7208) I experienced
- random lockups and lag with mouse-look
- stuck CTRL / ALT keys
reproduceable by opening the options window (Alt+O) and Alt gets stuck until camp/crash etc.
- client (EQ) crash and disappear
- broadcast button 'PAUSE' stopped working
the "PAUSE" button is assignable as a hotkey in EQ - not sure if anyone else uses it, but I use it as a hotkey/multibind
not sure when, but PAUSE was detected as NUMLOCK by the EQ client until installing the older version of Inner Space (versions below)

Using the Inner Space Patcher console and making sure all EQ clients were not running, i went back to *7201, *7197 and then *7111
I did not test versions between *7112 => *7195 as i felt there some odd stalling during the rollbacks/downloading (and it was getting past the sleep hours)
Some of the versions i did not test may have worked, if I've got time I may test tomorrow.
I was not sure which version i was on previously, because Inner Space usually works without any issues.

tldr: Experienced a number of issues others reported. Identified a PAUSE button not being passed correctly. After rolling back to *7111, Alt+O does not cause stuck keys and PAUSE is passed correctly.

Hope this helps!
BoxerMinion
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Thu Sep 21, 2023 5:48 am

Re: CTRL / ALT stuck keys, mouse stuck/laggging and Inner Space

- random lockups and lag with mouse-look

If you get a freeze, the quickest and easiest way to get that resolved is going to be to send me a memory dump from the frozen process. To do that, open up Task Manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc), find eqgame.exe in the list, right click it and select Create Memory Dump. The file that gets created may be quite large, but you can zip it and then send it to me (lax@lavishsoft.com is fine).

Otherwise, without sending me this file, you may be waiting quite some time until someone else provides one that matches your freeze issue.

- client (EQ) crash and disappear

check in your Inner Space folder for a .dmp file named like name_of_client.exe.dmp, otherwise check %LocalAppData%\CrashDumps (you can press Windows+R and paste that into the Run box) for name_of_client.exe.####.dmp (where #### is the process ID that crashed/disappeared/didn't launch)

- broadcast button 'PAUSE' stopped working
the "PAUSE" button is assignable as a hotkey in EQ - not sure if anyone else uses it, but I use it as a hotkey/multibind
not sure when, but PAUSE was detected as NUMLOCK by the EQ client until installing the older version of Inner Space (versions below)

Will check that out, thank you

Finally, you were probably on 7111 (the previous live build of Inner Space) before, although you should be able to simply "Disable New Virtual Input" in the Inner Space Configuration window, with the current Live build of Inner Space (7208).
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Thu Sep 21, 2023 10:35 am

Inner Space development build 7211 is now available and specifically addresses issues with RIGHT ALT, RIGHT CONTROL, and PAUSE keys in EverQuest 1. Thank you for reporting these issues.

To try this build, right click Inner Space and select Patcher, click the Development tab, then "Check for Updates" if needed (make sure it shows 7211 or later by Current Development Version), and "Install Now" to actually install it.

This build does not yet address your reported crash/freeze issues, although I am in the process of getting further details from another EQ1 player that may be having the same issue.
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Thu Sep 21, 2023 11:18 am

Further update, dev build 7212 is now available and specifically addresses a freeze reported with EQ1
<<

BoxerMinion

Post Thu Sep 21, 2023 12:09 pm

Thanks for following up with great support Lax!

Regarding freezing, this may have been a combination of the other things happening and too much keyboard input / switching clients (I use a mapped keypad to switch quickly) will keep an eye out to see if something freezes.

On the crashing-disappearing, I've checked the Inner Space folder and there is only 1 empty file (0-byte) from March 2023. The EQ client has crapped out in the past like this and it was something related to UI that they fixed/broke with subsequent updates. the one I experienced may be similar to freezing-above (too much input etc.)

I've tried both 7211 and 7212 with and without the option "Disable New Virtual Input" here are my findings:
- PAUSE works again, YAY!
- ALT+O does not create stuck keys, YAY! - I tried a number of other ways to get stuck keys and haven't gotten any (SHIFT+B to open/close multiple bags repeatedly and switching clients at the same time etc.)

- Switching between clients with hotkeys seems to reset the cursor to top-right corner of the screen. This did not happen with 7210 and earlier (yes i had tried the previous development build yesterday but did not originally mention it) My hotkey for window-swapping clients is F13-F24 and ALT+F13-F24

- I was able to recreate the mouse look/lock issue (for a short time but I'm testing this further) Whenever the cursor went beyond the window boundary while moving, the buttons would be stuck like they were still being pressed. Normally use Mouse-Right-Click-Hold-down to 'look' around, then while still holding Mouse-Left-Click-Hold-down to 'run' and during both actions, Mouse/Trackball (left/right/up/down etc.)
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Thu Sep 21, 2023 12:17 pm

Thank you for the further information, I'll continue plugging away at it and should have some additional fixes by the end of the day

Return to EverQuest