FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Also Needing Help Getting Follow/Assist Working

Moderator: MiRai

<<

princeganymede

Post Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:50 am

Also Needing Help Getting Follow/Assist Working

Hello, everyone!

Just getting back into EverQuest for the hell of it while waiting for new FFXIV content to come out. Figured that I'd learn to multibox so I can solo on a Live Server (FV in this case). I'm trying to run a 3-box setup with an SK, Shaman, and Bard.

Looking at some of the videos and the wiki, I understand that the software is really powerful, and at first I was super overwhelmed, but I decided I needed to scale back my ambition and just try to get the basics working. All I'd like to do now is make it so that I can Follow and Assist whomever it is that's the current character I'm on, but it's been difficult getting that working.

In-game, I have 2 socials set up exactly the same on each toon: CTRL+F1 is /follow, CTRL+F2 is /assist; I set these to the Game Key Bindings of Follow Target and Assist Target during the Quick Setup Wizard. The hotkeys for these are ALT+SHIFT+F for Follow, and ALT+SHIFT+A for Assist. When I'm in the game, though, nothing is actually happening. I know that ISBoxer is running because other hotkeys work - enable/disable keymaps and broadcast mode, the ISBoxer UI, and other mapped keys that I was playing with beforehand.

I've read the forums, and I've watched a bunch of videos, but in all of the videos, everything seemed to just work as intended right out of the gate - even some of MiRai's older videos on Variable Keystroes, which I was hoping would be my saving grace.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Link to my current config settings: http://pastebin.com/cQrDX1RG
<<

MiRai

Vibrant Videographer

Post Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:04 am

Re: Also Needing Help Getting Follow/Assist Working

I'm not familiar with EQ, but my only suggestion would be to not use modifier keys with the Variable Keystrokes (as well as in-game key binds) for follow and assist, because older games tend to behave differently when they have a bunch of modifiers thrown at them. That, and the fact that the default ISBoxer behavior for most games is that the Hold option is enabled on Mapped Keys, which can cause the modifier(s) on the Hotkey to bleed through, making a mess of the key you're actually trying to send.
<<

princeganymede

Post Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:40 pm

Thanks for the response! Wasn't expecting anything that quickly, else I'd have stayed up longer, lol.

Will try again later tonight and report back with results. Fingers crossed!
<<

princeganymede

Post Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:09 am

No luck thus far, unfortunately.

Just to make sure, the Variable Keystrokes should be set to whatever buttons I have bount to my in-game /follow and /assist macro, right? I've re-bound those to be Q for /follow and E for /assist, since I don't really strafe in EQ.

Meanwhile, I re-bound the key maps that are under Base Hotkeys, "Follow Me" to ALT+F and "Assist Me" to ALT+A. After saving the profile and exporting to Inner Space, well... I'm back, lol.

Link to this updated XML is here, just in case: http://pastebin.com/Wcs58zTB

Any suggested next steps?
<<

MiRai

Vibrant Videographer

Post Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:37 pm

Your profile looks fine.

1) Are you inviting your team in "Slot order," where Slot 1 sends out the invites, then Slot 2 accepts, Slot 3 accepts, etc.?
2) Are you pressing the follow/assist Hotkeys (Alt+F/A) twice? In order to follow or assist, it's a two-step process and requires two presses of the Hotkey.
3) When you're in a party with your other characters and you press Alt+F/A one time, do your other characters target the character you're currently playing from? They should if you've created a party as per the instructions in #1.
<<

princeganymede

Post Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:49 pm

1.) Yes - I do this step manually, but yes. Slot 1 invites Slots 2 and 3, then I use CTRL+ALT+2(and/or3) to accept the invites. Also, I've made sure to dismiss active Mercs.
2.) Yes - although I've just been spamming it, basically.
3.) No - although I've set up my party as in step 1, the other toons never target each other, regardless of which slot is active.
<<

bob

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:43 am

For some reason the ISB42 - Base Hotkeys keymap is not assigned to your character set, so when you load up, you will need to disable Key Maps first, then re-enable them, and it will then load the ISB42 - Base Hotkeys. If you don't want to do this to make it work the first time, then select your character set in the top left, in the lower left select Key maps, and then highlight the ISB42 - Base Hotkeys, and export to Inner Space.

Also, while you are in game, check if the F1 - F6 keys are bound to the respective Select Party Member in game binds.

F1 should be select self
F2 is select Party Leader
F3 is select Party Member 3
F4 is select Party Member 4
etc..

To see if those aren't bound, then press F1, F2, F3 for each toon and see if they actually select the appropriate party member.
<<

princeganymede

Post Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:42 pm

Thanks for the response! Unfortunately, had a blackout due to the storm hitting SoCal, so I haven't had a chance to verify. If it's a PEBCAK error, that's a-okay with me, lol.
<<

mxdog

Post Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:58 am

for my autofollow keys i have a macro/hotbutton set in game like this

/pause 3,/targ MYtoon
/follow

the hot key combo doesn't really matter but mine is ctrl/sft/= in game for that hotbutton

in isboxer

i set a menu button to send that combo to all w/o currant and it works well. So on my main toon i have a isboxer menu button i hit and my box team follows ..mine is a toggle so when i hit it again it sends a DOWN key and they take a step back and stop following.

for assist you can use the very same idea. make a hotbutton

/pause 3,/targ mytoon
/assist
*** make sure you have auto assist set in game the way you want ...attack/no attack

then make a menu button in isboxer that sends the combo you made for that hotbutton

I mostly set my toons up with the extended target window ..main assist or main tank so if i group with them i do not have to redo a bunch of keys ..but thats just me.

hope that is what you where asking for
<<

princeganymede

Post Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:30 am

Work has been crazy busy lately, so I haven't really had a lot of time to play around.

Thank you, bob! The Base Hotkeys keymap somehow got de-selected. After I re-enabled those, the auto-follow and auto-assist keybinds began to work!

The only other thing I had to adjust were the F1 - F6 targeting keys, the Mercs were throwing things off, but since I edited which button goes to which toon, it's been working like a dream.

Return to EverQuest