FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

I cant get Target slot variables to work...

Moderator: MiRai

<<

darkives

Post Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:35 am

I cant get Target slot variables to work...

Hi ya'll

I have only recently returned to EQ after 10+ years.
And i am having problems with character selection per slot, I followed the excellent "Follow and Assist from any window in EQ" post by Alge, anc cant figure out what I have missed.

The follow and assist work fine, I cant get the character selection to work at all.
I have Keymaps ON, and Broadcasting off

My configuration so far....
http://www.privatepaste.com/dcbc98b7b6
<<

bob

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:35 am

Re: I cant get Target slot variables to work...

You'll have to expand on what you mean by Character Selection.

Follow and Assist both do two steps, and one action per step.

Step 1
Target Slot {SLOT} (where {SLOT} is a variable which is replaced with the current active slot number). This is sent to all other slots other than the current
Step 2
Assist/Follow Target. This is sent to all other slots other than the current.

So if these two are working for you when you press CTRL+F for assist and F for follow, regardless of which slot is the current active, then the "dynamic" character selection is working, unless of course you mean something else??
<<

darkives

Post Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:05 am

Sorry, if I manually select a character to assist or follow, that works, basic game mechanics I guess.

First time using ISBoxer, so its probably a basic thing I have left out.

The Target Slot I cant seem to figure out why its not working. I have gone over the configuration, read the wiki, and that great guide by Alge.
It doesn't seem to pass on the keys to all characters.
<<

bob

Post Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:44 pm

Ok. ISboxer is using variable keystrokes in order to send the right command to each character.

It does this via the table configuration on each character slot, a shot of your setup for Slot 1 is below.

VariableKeystrokes.png
VariableKeystrokes.png (28.97 KiB) Viewed 13622 times

This shows that when you are playing on Slot 2 as your main and you hit Assist or Follow, then slot 1 will press F2 to target your main (Slot 2), if Slot 3 was your main, then slot 1 will press F3 to target your main (Slot 3), etc.

Now slot 2 is a little different
VariableKeystrokes2.png
VariableKeystrokes2.png (28.75 KiB) Viewed 13622 times

When you are playing on Slot 1 as your main and you hit Assist or Follow, then slot 2 will press F2, to target your current main (Slot 1), if Slot 3 was your main, then slot 2 will press F3 to target your main (Slot 3).

So, this all means that
1, you need to have in game binds configured on F1, F2, F3, etc that will target each party member. Most games usually have select party member in game binds. F1 is usually select self.
2, you need this table to be configured correctly to press the correct keys. These are set from the perspective of each slot, and the key they need to press in order to target the character in another slot. I've displayed slots 1 and 2 here, but you also need to make sure 3, 4, and 5 are correct.
3, you usually need your characters to be in a group in game for this to work.
4, when you log in your characters into the game, and for some games, when you group up, you need to do this in the same order every time.

The second part of it is the default keys that are sent for the Assist and Follow which is under the Variable Keystrokes node in ISboxer, rather than the Character Set Slot ones (which are remappings so you can override the defaults per character set slot).
VariableKeystrokes3.png
VariableKeystrokes3.png (21.09 KiB) Viewed 13622 times

These are the keystrokes for Follow and Assist, and you have F for follow, and CTRL+F1 for assist. These ones need to match the in game binds for the Follow and Assist socials that you have configured.

Worth noting. The HotKeys you assign to Mapped Keys in ISboxer can be different to in game binds. One of the great features is that it will remap what you press to output something different.
<<

darkives

Post Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:01 pm

Thanks greatly for the help.
From your confirmation it seems to be setup correctly, but when just keymaps turned on, the F1, F2, ... arent working on any of the boxes, only the main.

I have checked the ingame keybinds, and they are all set correctly.
There isprobably something basic I have missed or its not sinking into my thick skull, very fustrating.

should I delete the configuration, and start from the wizard again (the initial wizard setup the Target slots automatically the first time I ran ISBoxer)

Thanks again for the help.
<<

bob

Post Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:16 pm

Try it without the key maps on. Try it all manually, see if it works.

I.e. Disable Keymaps and Repeater (this takes ISBoxer out of the equation), Get the character in slot 1 (Joks) as the active character, press F2, does that target the character in slot 2 (Lipstick)? If it does, press the Follow social, which you have as F. This should make the Slot 1 guy follow the character in Slot 2. Do it for the rest
too. So while still on slot 1, press F3, this should target Psycotic, press F4, this should target Rubiki, press F5 this should target Rubiko.

If this all works, goto the slot 2 character (Lipstick) and repeat.
F2 targets Joks
F3 targets Psycotic
F4 targets Rubiki
F5 targets Rubiko
Make sure F triggers follow when one of the others is targeted.

Repeat for each character making sure that their F1, F2 etc matches what is in each slot variable keystroke table. If you find one which doesn't match, fix it. If you find one which doesn't work, then the in game bind is not correctly set because you took ISBoxer/Innerspace out of the equation at the beginning. ISboxer sets the target table up based on best guess about the game, but it may not be right (I don't play EQ either so I don't specifically know).

The others slot targeting as configured are:
Slot 3 character (Psycotic)
F2 targets Joks
F3 targets Lipstick
F4 targets Rubiki
F5 targets Rubiko

Slot 4 character (Rubiki)
F2 targets Joks
F3 targets Lipstick
F4 targets Psycotic
F5 targets Rubiko

Slot 5 character (Rubiko)
F2 targets Joks
F3 targets Lipstick
F4 targets Psycotic
F5 targets Rubiki

OH!!!!
And make sure you are launching your character set via one of the methods noted here. http://isboxer.com/wiki/Quick_Start_Gui ... _3:_Log_in
1. Right click Inner Space in the system notification area and, in the ISBoxer Character Sets sub-menu, select your Character Set
2. In the top left pane in ISBoxer, under Character Sets, right click your Character Set and select Launch
3. To create a shortcut on your desktop to launch your team: In the top left pane in ISBoxer, under Character Sets, right click your Character Set and select Create desktop Launch shortcut

If you are just using the Everquest at the top of the Innerspace menu, then it doesn't end up using the ISboxer config. It's like launching the game by itself.
<<

darkives

Post Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:48 am

Thanks bob

The setup works without ISBoxer, selecting the specific characters.
However when running with ISBoxer, with Keymaps On/Broadcast OFF, the Fkeys are not being passed onto the other slots.

I have tripled checked they are set up correctly in ISBoxer
Character Sets > Leveling Team > Slot 1, through to 5...

Follow and assist are being past on, but they are set in the main Variable Keystrokes section.

So what might be the reason the select slot keymaps are not being past on ?

PS i have tried both methods to launch the game...s
1. Right click Inner Space in the system notification area and, in the ISBoxer Character Sets sub-menu, select your Character Set
2. In the top left pane in ISBoxer, under Character Sets, right click your Character Set and select Launch
<<

bob

Post Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:54 am

I can't see anything wrong, and know of no reason why the F keys would not be being passed on.

Perhaps if you update your config paste as there sounds like there are some changes that have occurred.

Also a diagnostics for crashes might be useful, but after you have actually loaded the game via Innerspace. http://isboxer.com/wiki/Diagnostics
Maybe you have some other software which is hooking the game and trapping the F keys.

And you could also use the in game ISBoxer GUI and debug it.

open up the games with ISBoxer/Innerspace, press CTRL+SHIFT+ALT+G, goto variable keystrokes.
In the list you will see Targeting -> Per Slot Targeting, Target Slot #1, #2, #3, #4, #5. Check each character and see that the keys are F1, F2, F3, etc as you expect. This should reflect the same configuration on each slot as per the table configuration in ISBoxer.

If that all checks out, then goto the Debug tab, click Button (so it has a red dot), then Show Debug. Press your Follow Hotkey (F according to your first pasted config). Then check the other slots debug output. You should see results similar to below: (note: you won't see output on the slot you press the hot key on as the Follow mapped key does not send anything to the current window!! - it has no need to follow itself).
debug wrote:Button: from variablekeystroke@is1: nomodifiers F2
Button: from variablekeystroke@is1: nomodifiers F

If your slave windows are big enough, you should see the first line item appear when you hold down your hot key, and the second line when you let go of the hot key.
If you see the above occurring on each window, then it is working correctly and the Fkey is being sent to the game, but it is not being received by the game, which would more than likely interference from something else (otherwise there'd be other complaints from people playing EQ).
<<

darkives

Post Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:34 pm

Seems to be working finally.
I deleted the whole config and started the wizard again

Thanks heaps for your help bob

Return to EverQuest