FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Dual Boxing Class/Job Selection - Need Suggestions

Moderator: MiRai

<<

hotnutz

Post Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:49 am

Dual Boxing Class/Job Selection - Need Suggestions

Hey guys and girls! I have recently been boxing FFXIV and had hoped to be able to run 4 clients, but unfortunately I am stuck at 2 for now until I can get a second machine or upgrade my existing one. Anyways as the title says... I am looking for some suggestions on running only 2 clients. I have been testing out a couple of teams so far, but would like input or some theorycrafting as to what type of synergies or abilities that may compliment or benefit running 2 of the same or 2 different classes/jobs.

So far I have tried Paladin and White Mage (good ole tank and heal combo) But I have found that Paladin seems a bit more work to keep aggro in dungeons than a marauder/warrior. So may go that route.

I am also trying out a dual archer combo, which at the low levels so far has INSANE damage when played correctly (I am seriously having to throttle my DPS constantly and still pulling aggro if not careful) but I know they become Bard later on, and am not sure if in end game people will want more than one bard in a raid setting. I have thought of the usefulness of having two bards, where I could be playing different songs or position them for different groups of the raids (eg: one playing the MP restore near the healers/casters and one closer to the melee playing the TP restoring, etc.)

But I am not sure if this is the route I want to go. I don't mind two DPS classes, I also wouldn't mind trying two white mages for later on (I loved healing large raids and battlegrounds in WOW with multiple characters), but it would be impossible to queue with two healers in the 4 man dungeons unless I had a couple of dedicated people that play when I do (not going to happen)

So what are your thoughts or suggestions? What classes/jobs would you put together. I have searched high and low and have not really seen a good discussion on the subject of group or dual class/job compositions.
<<

Enoah35

Post Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:31 am

Re: Dual Boxing Class/Job Selection - Need Suggestions

I am currently on a break from FF14 but I will try to give some advice.

First if you plan to do dungeon with your two characters I suggest doing them separately and not both at once, or start once you decided to run a 4man team. Unless its the first few dungeons which usually doesn't matter what configuration you use.

As for the Tanking, well all tanks are somewhat sub par on threat department till they reach 27-30. For a paladin 27, and then 40 (at 27 you get your 3rd combo for threat generation, and at 40 a buff that raises your threat). For a warrior you will start to be good at threat management around 30. Alternatively if you got the expansion you have another option which is the Dark Knight, but you need to be level 50 to aquire the Job which sucks.Boxing wise I think all tanks are manageable but paladins has the easiest to learn. They also have a crap tons of cooldowns for damage mitigation, at the cost of lower offense compared to other two. (till max level + gear)

For DPS if you are boxing, you want to stay ranged. There is no Interact with target system in this game as far as I know so melee will be really hard to box.

- Arcanist/Summoners are good choice if you encounter fights that needs a lot of moving to do or manage mechanics. Their pet does quite a significant amount of damage, but they somewhat lack burst dps at lower levels. Consider them as Warlocks in WoW.
- Initially till level 52, Archers/Bards/mechanist are the best mobile DPS. However at 52 onwards your damage will require a buff that makes all your abilities to gain casting time (almost all), thus making less mobile. Archers specially gains most of their DPS skills early on, which makes them a very powerfull burst damage dps.
- Black mages are well... like mages in WoW. But requires most of their skills to be stationary and at higher levels it requires some proc management, buff management to deal good dps. I have tried it till 58 and I am constantly making new macros to do respectable dps compared to say Summoner.

As for healers its a personal taste. White mages are unquestionably the master of big heals and aoe heals. They do have a nice line of DPS skills to but requires managing the DPS buff to do good damage. Can't really put a good class comparison with WoW since they are in between Holy Priest and holy paladins. Scholar are like Disk priests. They rely on barriers to prevent significant damage rather than heal them. Although at early levels the pet fairy does almost all the healing needed and you can focus on dpsing, which is like summoners. One of the nice features of Arcanist is that you are leveling both the DPS and Healer class at once.

Finally for composition, well depends what you want to do. Apart from dungeons, you do not really need a tank + healer composition to progress. DPS + Healer could be a good choice if you want to focus on fate grinding.

Return to Final Fantasy XIV