FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Problems having my slaves target my mains target

Moderator: MiRai

<<

Lestoli

Post Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:50 am

Problems having my slaves target my mains target

The macros on FFXIV are pretty wonky, and take a long time to respond/register.

I have a /assist macro, but it only works about half the time.

Is there a better way to go about having my slaves target my mains target right away? That seems to be the biggest issue with multiboxing FFXIV for me.
<<

MiRai

Vibrant Videographer

Post Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:56 pm

Re: Problems having my slaves target my mains target

There is a lot of missing information in this post, so it would really help to see your profile, but I'll also mention a few things from what I remember about this game...

1) It's very dependent on FPS, so if your FPS is low you can expect overall unresponsiveness from the game clients.
2) Modifier keys tend to create a weird "queue" for abilities and actions, so if you're constantly sending a lot of modifier keys you can expect abilities to be less responsive.
<<

Lestoli

Post Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:38 pm

My FPS is fine, runs very smoothly in all four games.

My settings are just what the default standard MMO has them set to, with one of my characters Slot ID FTL Modifiers switched from ALT + SHIFT (Default) to CRTL + SHIFT.

http://pastebin.com/uMyyiTxH
<<

MiRai

Vibrant Videographer

Post Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:21 pm

Lestoli wrote:My FPS is fine, runs very smoothly in all four games.

I do not know what you're basing this off of, but can you see your FPS on each and every game client (specifically the slave clients)? They're pretty small in your Window Layout, so you wouldn't normally be able to see that information unless you're using overlay monitoring software which is then being scaled up. I would say that 30 FPS in FFXIV was a minimum in order to get the game clients to run nicely, so if you can give them more power, then you should do so.

I'll also mention that only assigning two threads to a single game client is probably not netting you the best performance you can get, and most people find that the best performance is achieved when they set all game clients to use all cores. I specifically mention this about two threads because I don't think there's a major MMO out on the market today which runs nicely with such a small requirement, and when you're in any sort of populated area I would probably guess that your slave clients are not getting the full 30 FPS, but this is, of course, based off of in-game settings and resolution. Your resolution is slightly larger than normal coming in at 2560x1080 per game client, so trying to get just two threads to run each game client efficiently is probably not as effective as the other option I mentioned above.

I wish I could test performance in FFXIV, I really do, but their free trials are kind of a pain to set up and they expire, and I'm certainly not going to drop an additional $45 just to renew subscriptions in order to see how the game runs these days. However, you can monitor your hardware if you'd like to see what it's doing.

Lestoli wrote:My settings are just what the default standard MMO has them set to, with one of my characters Slot ID FTL Modifiers switched from ALT + SHIFT (Default) to CRTL + SHIFT.

The default standard for FFXIV is Variable Keystrokes, which is what your profile is mostly using. I say "mostly using" because, unless you have something custom set up in game, then your profile shouldn't be following or assisting anyone at all.

For example, your Follow Me Mapped Key in Non-Combat is two Steps—one for targeting the character you're controlling, and one for sending your follow key binding in game—but in your profile you haven't actually set the Follow Target Variable Keystroke on any level—Character, Character Set, or globally. So, I don't know how you're following unless you've created an in-game macro assigned to a key somewhere on your number row (1 through =).

The same applies to your Assist Me Mapped Key... You have not assigned the Assist Target Variable Keystroke anywhere in your profile, so your characters should also not be assisting unless, again, you've set up something custom in game, but if you have, then the Slot-ID FTL modifiers are doing nothing at all.
<<

Lestoli

Post Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:14 am

MiRai wrote:
Lestoli wrote:My FPS is fine, runs very smoothly in all four games.

I do not know what you're basing this off of, but can you see your FPS on each and every game client (specifically the slave clients)? They're pretty small in your Window Layout, so you wouldn't normally be able to see that information unless you're using overlay monitoring software which is then being scaled up. I would say that 30 FPS in FFXIV was a minimum in order to get the game clients to run nicely, so if you can give them more power, then you should do so.

I'll also mention that only assigning two threads to a single game client is probably not netting you the best performance you can get, and most people find that the best performance is achieved when they set all game clients to use all cores. I specifically mention this about two threads because I don't think there's a major MMO out on the market today which runs nicely with such a small requirement, and when you're in any sort of populated area I would probably guess that your slave clients are not getting the full 30 FPS, but this is, of course, based off of in-game settings and resolution. Your resolution is slightly larger than normal coming in at 2560x1080 per game client, so trying to get just two threads to run each game client efficiently is probably not as effective as the other option I mentioned above.

I wish I could test performance in FFXIV, I really do, but their free trials are kind of a pain to set up and they expire, and I'm certainly not going to drop an additional $45 just to renew subscriptions in order to see how the game runs these days. However, you can monitor your hardware if you'd like to see what it's doing.

Lestoli wrote:My settings are just what the default standard MMO has them set to, with one of my characters Slot ID FTL Modifiers switched from ALT + SHIFT (Default) to CRTL + SHIFT.

The default standard for FFXIV is Variable Keystrokes, which is what your profile is mostly using. I say "mostly using" because, unless you have something custom set up in game, then your profile shouldn't be following or assisting anyone at all.

For example, your Follow Me Mapped Key in Non-Combat is two Steps—one for targeting the character you're controlling, and one for sending your follow key binding in game—but in your profile you haven't actually set the Follow Target Variable Keystroke on any level—Character, Character Set, or globally. So, I don't know how you're following unless you've created an in-game macro assigned to a key somewhere on your number row (1 through =).

The same applies to your Assist Me Mapped Key... You have not assigned the Assist Target Variable Keystroke anywhere in your profile, so your characters should also not be assisting unless, again, you've set up something custom in game, but if you have, then the Slot-ID FTL modifiers are doing nothing at all.

Hmm, I cleared my ISBoxer and started over. I followed the steps in your video, but I don't know how to get the FTL modifiers to work.

I made the macros in game, and assigned the correct keybinds.

I went under Variable Keystrokes and went to Follow Target and Assist Target and changed the Default Key Combinations to 5 and 6. Would that work?

Do I need to do anything else?

Return to Final Fantasy XIV