FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Help getting auto-follow to work

Moderator: MiRai

<<

mubeen

Post Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:59 am

Help getting auto-follow to work

Hi guys,

So I am trying to dual box FFXIV:ARR. I have a 2 Thaumaturge team. I can get assist to work just fine, but follow doesn't work when pressing Alt-F. I have made a macro /follow and assigned it a hotkey [Ctrl+-].

I have watched MiRai's videos and even tried to put in a delay of 1 sec after the first step, under Key Maps, non-combat.

How do you guys get follow to work so seamlessly when you multibox?

Thanks in advance.
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:38 am

Re: Help getting auto-follow to work

Follow works pretty much the same as Assist. Remove the "Do not advance" you added to the first Step because that will prevent you from following for 1 second -- your guys would only target.

Show us your configuration though -- http://isboxer.com/wiki/Configuration_Sharing
<<

hobothe1st

Post Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:36 am

I'd like to add that, if you're only boxing two accounts, it's beneficial to have your in-game follow macro specifically target characters by name. Assuming you haven't done so already, just make sure Character1's macro looks like

/follow "Character2 Name"

and Character2's macro looks like

/follow "Character1 Name"

With that in place, all your Follow mapped key has to do is send your chosen keybind to the other window. Meaning it should have a single step that does

Ctrl+- -> all other
<<

mubeen

Post Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:40 am

Thanks for the help lax, but I think I solved the issue. I just changed the in-game Key-binding from Ctrl+- to f11; and then changed it in the 'variable keystroke' section. That did the trick.

Does ISBoxer have problems sending a combination of keys to windows?

Anyways, this is my working configuration.http://privatepaste.com/3e9a05d574

This has just assist, follow and broadcasts keys 1 to =.

I'd like to add that, if you're only boxing two accounts, it's beneficial to have your in-game follow macro specifically target characters by name

I tried that. It just ends up targeting the party leader (without following). The problem seems to be sending Ctrl+1 through Ctrl+= to the other windows. I fixed this by binding the macro to F11.
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:52 am

No, however some games have problems interpreting modifier buttons (sometimes certain ones), requiring the use of the "Hold" option on an ISBoxer Mapped Key in order for the game to see the modifier at the time it checks it.

Basically, some games will process the input "late" and then check the asynchronous state of the modifier. That is, whether it is held down at the time it is processing the input instead of whether it was held at the time the button was pressed. ISBoxer can work around this in a lot of cases, but sometimes the only good remedy is to use the "Hold" option to make sure the modifier is held down. In the case of your Follow Hotkey, it's 2 Steps and the Hold option would make you have to hit the Hotkey twice instead of processing one part when you press, and another when you release the Hotkey; so choosing another key combo in the game for Follow was probably the right decision.
<<

mubeen

Post Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:30 am

lax wrote:

No, however some games have problems interpreting modifier buttons (sometimes certain ones), requiring the use of the "Hold" option on an ISBoxer Mapped Key in order for the game to see the modifier at the time it checks it.

Basically, some games will process the input "late" and then check the asynchronous state of the modifier. That is, whether it is held down at the time it is processing the input instead of whether it was held at the time the button was pressed. ISBoxer can work around this in a lot of cases, but sometimes the only good remedy is to use the "Hold" option to make sure the modifier is held down. In the case of your Follow Hotkey, it's 2 Steps and the Hold option would make you have to hit the Hotkey twice instead of processing one part when you press, and another when you release the Hotkey; so choosing another key combo in the game for Follow was probably the right decision.

Haha. mind = blown. I didn't even know this was a problem. Thanks a lot.

Return to Final Fantasy XIV