FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

LOW FPS FIX HERE!!!

Moderator: MiRai

<<

xtremethai

Post Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:25 am

Re: LOW FPS FIX HERE!!!

I am able to run 2 instances of FFXIV at high graphics settings without FPS issues; however, when I try to run even one instance from innerspace with bare minimum settings, the FPS drops to anywhere between 15-25 FPS. My current setup is:

Operating System: Win7 64-bit
Processor: Intel Core i3 3.10 Ghz
RAM: 8GB
GPU1: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560
GPU2: NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT

I tried following the FPS tweak guide within ISBoxer, but it did not help. What I am noticing from Open Hardware Monitor is that without Innerspace, both GPU will only get up to 60-80% utilization, but with Innerspace, the 9600 GT maxes out while the GTX 560 sits at about 10% with two instances. With a single Instance, the GTX 560 sits at about 50%. All innerspace tests were done with bare minimum graphics settings while tests without Innerspace were done with high graphics settings.

I am trying to run one instance per monitor on separate GPU without cross-monitor swapping.
Here are my configurations from ISBoxer: http://www.privatepaste.com/4b6d9b7257

Edit: Reviewed my settings and found that PhysX was set to my lower end GPU. Switched it to the better GPU and it balanced out.
Last edited by xtremethai on Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

MiRai

Vibrant Videographer

Post Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:50 am

xtremethai wrote:I am able to run 2 instances of FFXIV at high graphics settings without FPS issues; however, when I try to run even one instance from innerspace with bare minimum settings, the FPS drops to anywhere between 15-25 FPS. My current setup is:

Operating System: Win7 64-bit
Processor: Intel Core i3 3.10 Ghz
RAM: 8GB
GPU1: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560
GPU2: NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT

I tried following the FPS tweak guide within ISBoxer, but it did not help. What I am noticing from Open Hardware Monitor is that without Innerspace, both GPU will only get up to 60-80% utilization, but with Innerspace, the 9600 GT maxes out while the GTX 560 sits at about 10% with two instances. With a single Instance, the GTX 560 sits at about 50%. All innerspace tests were done with bare minimum graphics settings while tests without Innerspace were done with high graphics settings.

I am trying to run one instance per monitor on separate GPU without cross-monitor swapping.
Here are my configurations from ISBoxer: http://www.privatepaste.com/4b6d9b7257

The OP stated that they had a possible fix for AMD cards, not nVidia; but if your games aren't loading on the correct display adapter then I would assume you don't have them assigned correctly in the FFXIV settings in game.
<<

hamiltonia

Post Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:57 am

I run 4 instances on 2 * Nvidia 770 (no SLI) with a Core I7-2700 - I run 3 of the instances on one monitor with swapping (1920x800 resolution - most settings disabled), and the 4th instance on my primary monitor (2560x1440 - desktop high settings). I'm able to run 60 FPS on the primary, and ~30 on the others while they're in the background.

Here are some things I noticed:
- If you're using two GPUs like me, make sure you go into the game settings and set the correct card/monitor (and restart). The GPU / Window layout in ISBoxer doesn't seem to be able to override this behavior. Without doing this all the GPU activity will be on one card.
- I have my CPU strategy such that the primary instance uses cores 1&2 (4 total), and the other 3 share cores 3&4 (4 more).
- On the three secondary, I point the camera down and zoomed out and then save it with the in game settings, and then have a hotkey to reapply it they change, if they're pointing off into the distance it kills the framerate - especially in the cities, not so much out in the wild.
- The GPU on my primary monitor is typically tapped out during gameplay; the secondary card is not (hosting 3 on low settings). The CPU cores are typically around 80%.

In particular the setting to have the 3 non-primary instances run on the secondary monitor and card was a huge improvement - made me very happy when I figured that out. Given that I have the settings turned up to high on the primary I still have room to turn the settings down if perf drops.
<<

Lyonheart

Post Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:50 pm

Well shiznit! I cant run 4 on my PC. Looks like i will be upgrading sooner rather than later. Turned everything as low as I can.. anything off that had that option..getting 9FPS 8(

specs are

i7 2600k
16gb ram
580gtx 3GB

nothing OCd

I have a spare 580gtx but its 1.5 GB ram..since it would not be in sli.. would that matter? and is my cpu a bottleneck?
<<

Alge

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:35 am

and is my cpu a bottleneck?

Identifying framerate bottlenecks

I have a spare 580gtx but its 1.5 GB ram..since it would not be in sli.. would that matter?

Only if you were using the cards to power games on separate monitors.
<<

Lyonheart

Post Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:59 pm

im doing the connected PCs thing ( well pc and laptop ) and it gets it done..but I really hate using more than one pc. Feels clunky. doing 5 WoW's on one screen for so long spoiled me! SO im guessing buying another monitor will be my cheapest upgrade, since i have an extra card. I just moved and my credit is tapped out. Buying furniture and such.. but as soon as i clear up a couple grand, ill be upgrading. My current pc will be 3 years old in December.
<<

bravitzlana

Post Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:48 am

Processor: i5
RAM: 16
Video: 2x nVidia 650 Ti Boost (drivers are current)

With out using ISBoxer I can run two clients at max settings at 30+ FPS in town. I've used ISboxer for EQ and D3 so I thought I'd try it out in FF14. If I launch two accounts my FPS drops to 1 and it takes an entire minute to get to the point where I can select which account I want to logon with.

I haven't even loaded into the game yet, I've tried changing the CPU strategy but its changed nothing. I'm open for any suggestions.
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:04 am

bravitzlana wrote:Processor: i5
RAM: 16
Video: 2x nVidia 650 Ti Boost (drivers are current)

With out using ISBoxer I can run two clients at max settings at 30+ FPS in town. I've used ISboxer for EQ and D3 so I thought I'd try it out in FF14. If I launch two accounts my FPS drops to 1 and it takes an entire minute to get to the point where I can select which account I want to logon with.

I haven't even loaded into the game yet, I've tried changing the CPU strategy but its changed nothing. I'm open for any suggestions.

Find out what your bottleneck is: HOWTO: Tweak your framerate, Identifying framerate bottlenecks
<<

bravitzlana

Post Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:49 pm

How to Tweak my framerate was not useful. I figured I was not the first person to encounter this issue so I didn't elaborate fully.

The launcher will execute with out issue, it is after logging in, when the game client initializes that things slow down. Specifically the client's window doesn't actualize, that's to say that it doesn't accept alt-tabbing so that I have to right click on my toolbar and select "show the desktop" to get into the window. There is also graphical distortion with the letters at the initial screen being much larger than normal. ISBoxer reports an FPS at 60 during this time but if I bring up the system configuration menu in the client it reads from 0-1 fps, and this is happening with only one game client being launched.

I can launch two game clients with out using ISBoxer and both will run at 60 FPS. The only bottleneck here is ISboxer. I went into the nVidia control panel and reduced all of FF14's settings to low or disabled them and nothing was changed. Along with that I've tried changing the CPU strategy, I also assigned all 4 cores to the same game client then I launched just that client and the same issue.

Any suggestions?
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:20 pm

bravitzlana wrote:How to Tweak my framerate was not useful. I figured I was not the first person to encounter this issue so I didn't elaborate fully.

I can launch two game clients with out using ISBoxer and both will run at 60 FPS. The only bottleneck here is ISboxer.

I'm sorry, the answer to the bottleneck question is not ISBoxer. It's likely either your GPU or CPU. So, which one is maxed out? We can't really move forward on this together if you're not going to find out. Otherwise it sounds like GPU Management explains your performance hit.
PreviousNext

Return to Final Fantasy XIV