FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Mixed Team

Moderator: MiRai

<<

Meshuggenah

Post Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:48 pm

Re: Mixed Team

So for those of you already 4 boxing - which tank did you go with? Since we have so much to micro already, I've always been of the opinion that simpler is better while boxing. After reading as much as I could find, it seems like the pros & cons are as follows.

Paladin
Pro - Simpler to play, more defensive & less heal intensive
Con - Low damage, minimal AoE damage, requires a lot of tab-ing through mobs to hold AoE threat.

Warrior
Pro - Relatively high damage, much better AoE. Clears adds much faster in 4 man content.
Con - More complex to play. At least 3 situational combos, each with 3 steps plus a frontal cone AoE that requires positioning.

Is that about right? I'm thinking Warriors would help clear instances much faster but I'm not sure how to effectively keymap those situational combos without significantly increasing the number of things we have to monitor. IE. Micromanaging click bars or manually swapping between target action groups.

It may be that I'm overestimating how complex their combos are. If you're boxing a Warrior at a decent level, how are you managing it?
<<

gnetcham

Post Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:20 pm

if your going to be doing a heavy aoe team warriors will beat out pallys all day long in grabing aoe threat and holding it , if your going to be mostly doing small pulls pallys will out last a warrior in the long run

Iam planning on warrior to be my go to
<<

Meshuggenah

Post Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:51 pm

Even on single target fights Warriors do more damage. On AoE pulls and add spawns, the gap opens up even more. If both tanks are relatively even in terms of survivability (which they are) it makes sense to me to pick the one that contributes the most damage. Being able to cleave down add spawns on a boss 30%+ faster makes a huge difference.

The only issue is how to micromanage multiple combo's on the Warrior. The only way I can think of is to make 3 toggle buttons, one for each combo chain, so when you turn one on it turns the other 2 off. That way you just have to click that chain and let it run until you want to use a different one. Still another click to manage, but it's less micro intensive than actively controlling them.
<<

Biggcarl

Post Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:46 pm

anyone starting a mixed group from this point on. i would suggest Marader and 3x arcanist. They get a heal early on plus 3 pets. Its great team make up and they all start in the same city!!!!!!! At end game either tank is just as good and tanking aoe or single target so doesnt matter and later you can always switch to a pally as well.
Multiboxing: (Mul-ti-box-ing)1.physically and mentally dependent on a particular substance, and unable to stop taking it without incurring adverse effects.
Previous

Return to Final Fantasy XIV