FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Launching as a background process?

Moderator: MiRai

<<

thoughtLost

Post Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:45 pm

Launching as a background process?

Hi, I've been away from IS and EQ2 for awhile. Just got back into it and decided to work on my box team a little bit, but when I try anything: character sets, individual characters or just launch the game from IS, the launcher (LaunchPad.exe) or the game (EverQuest2.exe) are launched as background processes instead of applications when viewing task manager. After "launching" my char set in IS, if I try to start LaunchPad.exe the "Play" button is greyed out for the accounts that are supposed to be logged in. When I reboot and launch without IS, I can launch 3 individual instances of the game without issue and they appear under "Apps" vs "Background processes" in Task Manager.

What did I mess up?
<<

thoughtLost

Post Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:23 pm

Re: Launching as a background process?

ISBoxer Compatibility Diagnostics:

https://pastebin.com/HKpU2x2d

DxDiag available too.
<<

bob

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:01 pm

It's going probably going to be your Trend Micro, which is a currently known piece of software that is preventing any luck with using InnerSpace. There have however, been some fixes in the dev build which might help, so try that out.

To try it out:
Code:
Right click Inner Space, select Patcher, select (it's a the red dot) the option for "Download development (test) patches"".   Then right click Inner Space, select Exit.  Reload Inner Space again, let it patch up, and see if it that fixes it.
<<

thoughtLost

Post Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:05 pm

Test builds didn't work, but uninstalling Trend did. Aside from this instance, I've actually liked Trend... Their progression toward more "user friendly" UIs leave much to be desired, though. I whitelisted IS/ISBoxer everywhere I could and it still caused issues. Shot in the dark, but I'm pretty sure it has to do with the whole ransomware crap going on?

I don't mind that so much on my mobile devices, so I may keep the subscription going. Desktop AV/Etc though, I try to balance between security and usability. If I say, let this program do whatever it wants, give me a final "we're warning you... are you SURE you trust this program" window, toss in a "our company cannot be held liable for any damages if you click 'ok' clause in the EULA" and be done with it. Or at least give me a "power user" option or something... damnit!

Thanks for the help, Bob. Trend needs to be added to the list of probable programs/AVs in the FAQ thingy (that I checked before posting! heh)

Is there a decent AV/Sec suite that IS is friendly with?
<<

bob

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:10 pm

IMO, Kapersky seems to be the least problematic.

IS does work with most AV products, although the ol Windows Defender/Security Essentials (depending on your Windows version) is the one which gets the least upset about it. Others you can sometimes work around their annoying interference by setting exclusions (not looking at Nortons at all.....). Trend just doesn't seem to want to play nice currently.

Yep, Windows Defender is low on the list of high class products, BUT, it depends on what crappy websites you hang out at. If you are downloading a bunch of torrents, watching the pr0nz, searching for lots of cheatz, hackz, and warez, and open every email from Nigerian Princes promising riches if you only just send a release fee of $300 first, you will probably need something better.
You will probably also want something better if you travel, hook up to lots of public Wifi, and don't manage the Windows firewall manually or use a secure VPN that routes through a decent firewall with built in AV detection.

Return to EverQuest 2