FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

EQ2 Client Crashes right after start up

Moderator: MiRai

<<

taybrien

Post Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:43 pm

EQ2 Client Crashes right after start up

I DL and installed the bundle software from the site without a problem.

I followed the instructions, and created a character set and uploaded it to innerspace like directed.

When i right click on innerspace and select my character set, the game screen (patcher) comes up and instantly crashes with the "Eq2Launcher has encountered a problem and needs to close" screen. Ive tried multiple paths, asking it to launch different .exe all with the same result. Ive tried DL a different station launcher form SOE to see if the launcher itself wasn't liking something, and still crashes.

After pulling my hair out for a cpl hours, I downloaded and installed it on my other pc machine and everything works fine without a problem. Both machines are running windows XP, both have the same nvidia drivers/direct x versions/.net framework/etc

Seeing this I figured it was something in the background, so I whacked my PC and re-installed a fresh copy of XP and installed the basic utilities/programs (drivers/game/windows update). After re-DL and installing the bundle once again, I tried to execute the character set once more and still getting the crashing error.

I jumped into Chat earlier and attempted the walk-thru you suggested trying to bypass the patcher by inserting that line in parameters even though I dont use a streaming client to play the game and still no go. Like I said above, its not even launching the "patcher" yet, its bringing up the first screen where its trying to connect to the patcher and crashes right after.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. (On a side note, from what I used of the software on my other PC that worked, its a wonderful program so far =) )
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:57 am

Re: EQ2 Client Crashes right after start up

Well, it's like I told you in chat. You don't need to launch the EQ2 patcher. You should be pointing Inner Space directly to EverQuest2.exe, and then there should be no possible way for you to get the message "Eq2Launcher has encountered a problem and needs to close" because it should say "EverQuest2.exe" ;)

When you installed XP, did you install Service Pack 3? Because that might be important. Also, some time ago EQ2 players were reporting issues with XP, but switching to Vista or Windows 7 eliminated the problem altogether. If that's an option, I do recommend Windows 7. That's not to say that I can't try to reproduce the problem on XP.
<<

taybrien

Post Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:50 am

Re: EQ2 Client Crashes right after start up

I just re-tried the Everquest II no-patch selection - crash
I re-bound my character set to point to everquest2.exe - crash
I am running the most current windows updates and service pack 3

Both come up with the same error, "Eq2Client has encountered a problem and needs to close"

Unfortunately, I dont have access or funds to upgrade at this time. Whats very frustrating is the pc next to mine runs it perfect on xp. I figured after the windows re-install it would work, but no avail. ;)

http://privatepaste.com/1f94f6ffc6 (if it helps)

Return to EverQuest 2