FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

EQ2 & Computer Crashing Since Last Update

Moderator: MiRai

<<

r06ue1

Post Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:13 am

EQ2 & Computer Crashing Since Last Update

Everything was running fine until this weekend when ISBoxer crashed (seemed like it was after latest update) and also sometimes crashes the OS (Windows 7 x64). Anyone else having issues since latest release? I have not installed anything new but I did do some Windows updates, not sure if one of those broke it or why they would.
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:20 am

Re: EQ2 & Computer Crashing Since Last Update

Due to the design of the operating system, ISBoxer cannot crash Windows. Neither can any other "user mode" (non-driver) application.

If Windows is crashing (for example with a Blue Screen of Death, but you might not see that before it reboots itself), it's either drivers or hardware. In fact, the BSOD screen's purpose is to point out the driver that is causing the issue, and some basic technical information about the driver issue (which is mostly useless to non-technical users). Here's an example from the wikipedia BSOD link above: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Windows_XP_BSOD.png; the faulty driver is in this BSOD is SPCMDCON.SYS. Whatever the filename is, you can look it up on google to find information and tips from other people who have experienced a BSOD from that driver. If the driver name starts with "nv" it's probably an NVIDIA driver, usually video card. Similarly, if it starts with "ati" it's probably an ATI driver, usually video card.

If I were in your shoes right now, and all the information I have about the issue is "Windows is crashing" (crashing,freezing,rebooting etc), I would first of all check for a video driver update from either nvidia.com or ati.com depending on whether you have an ATI or NVIDIA card.

If that doesn't help, it could also be a heat issue (multiboxing is going to generate a lot of heat by the way) for example because a fan is getting old and perhaps dusty and either way not spinning so well anymore; In my experience that's typically about 2 years of having a decent video card. . HWMonitor from CPUID (free software) can help diagnose heat issues: http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html. If you PREVIOUSLY had heat issues, but don't anymore, and still get this type of issue, it is entirely possible that the hardware that overheated is permanently damaged and needs replacement.

So there's the common scenarios and my recommendations. Most of the time this is solved by updating drivers, but it's not a guaranteed solution.
<<

nexxusofa178

Post Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:46 pm

Re: EQ2 & Computer Crashing Since Last Update

R06ue1, You still having trouble with this?

Return to EverQuest 2