FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

DirectX Error

Moderator: MiRai

<<

Malevolent

Post Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:59 pm

DirectX Error

EverQuest II has detected an unrecoverable error and must shutdown.
<verify>
G:\live\eq2\framework\core\devices\DirectX9RenderDevice.cpp
(15683):
DirectX Error. (D3DERR_INVALIDCALL)
00bad1e5 006c0000

Hello Everyone,
The error popup window above has been an ongoing problem that has kept coming up for the past 3 months which is why I haven't been using the program anymore. EverQuest II runs fine without the program to include several accounts at the same time. I have the full version on my hard drive (I do not or will ever run the streaming version). I only run one copy of EverQuest II (I do not run multiple copies of EQ2 for each account). I use only one PC with multiple Monitors to play/run EQ2. I use Windows 7 (Home). I do not or ever had a G: drive. There is no such file found on my PC "DirectX9RenderDevice.cpp".

Is this a script error in ISboxer/Inner Space? or an EQ2 patch in the past that has caused this error? Is there a way to fix this?
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:03 pm

Re: DirectX Error

The path and filename "G:\live\eq2\framework\core\devices\DirectX9RenderDevice.cpp" is only relevant to the EQ2 developers, this part of the error message is describing to them where the issue occurred. At line (or byte? only they would know) 15683 in this file, something it is trying to do via DirectX is giving a D3DERR_INVALIDCALL error.

The first thing I would try is reset the custom eq2recent.ini files. By default, ISBoxer will keep a separate copy of this file -- which contains various settings such as your graphics settings -- per "Character". The extra files are kept in the same location as the original file. You can just delete them, or move them to another location, etc.

If that doesn't help, I would also check for a new video driver any time you have DirectX or video-related issues.
<<

Malevolent

Post Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:41 pm

Thank you lax!!

I double checked drivers to include window updates...I was good to go. Moved eq2recent.ini to a backup folder on my desktop. Restarted EQ2 using Inner Space Character Set (Task bar icon). I use StationLauncher.exe instead of EverQuest2.exe for Inner Space Main execution path because I'm lazy and rather just click on the Station User saved accounts. First thing I noticed was the welcome video from Sony which I assume it plays for a first time user to EverQuest II (looks good so far). I noticed my sound was set to defaults and that about an inch of the bottom screen was gone as far as game windows/hot bars. I figured out it was in full screen after trying to get my custom UI setting to work correctly and maybe fix this problem (Profit UI). As soon as I played with the full screen/windowed mode I got the error back. I managed to set it to window mode after a few restarts and camped/logged off. I have been using inner space Character Sets to log on several times just to make sure its stable and see if the problem comes back...so far after about 5-6 times everything is running as it should with no problems. My reason for making this long winded step by step scenario I went through is to let those who have a similar problem (if any) to see what I did to fix it.

Thank you again lax
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:56 pm

Glad you got it working :)

Return to EverQuest 2