FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Frustrated newbie

Moderator: MiRai

<<

jskillz

Post Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:00 pm

Frustrated newbie

So... where exactly is the useful information for complete newbies to get started with. I keep looking through the forums and the wiki and I'm getting really frustrated. Seems to be a lot of description of how to set parameters and not much useful information about what those parameters might be/mean or anything resembling an actual example. For example, I read that the process to get toons to follow is set up in game macros, then map keys and then put them on a click bar. Then I can't find any information about how to actually do those steps. Like how exactly do I set up clickbar button that will actually click the macro I have setup in game? Haven't found anything about that. In EQ2 I have 6 or 7 hotbars depending on the character and you can't hotkey all of those in game. Is there a way to tell ISBoxer to actually do something on your in game hotbars that doesn't have a hotkey assigned in game?

There seems to be a lot of gaps in information in the wiki and in the forums because I always get stuck not understanding how to get from one step to the next. I get the setting up in game macros, then setting up keymaps, then setting up clickbar buttons. But there seem to be disconnects between doing these things. And what exactly does the many new map keys bit do? Is that just so you can set up a combination of hotkeys? I mean, I can't use it to send "/follow Soandso" to that window, right?

Getting really frustrated trying to figure this thing out. I just want some kind of example for how to set up a clickbar button to make all my toons follow the leader or attack the tank's target in EQ2. There's something I'm missing here, and when I get that, I think I can tie it all together.

And what's more frustrating is that I didn't realize that your 7 day trial starts as soon as they OK it, not when you download it, so by the time I got a chance to mess with this I was already down to 2 days left. A this rate about the only thing I might be able to do is set my toons on autofollow before the trial ends. And with as frustrating as this is, I don't know that I want to spend the money just to find out if this is going to work for me.
<<

Xfree

Post Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:07 pm

Re: Frustrated newbie

did you start with the below link? I had trouble getting this setup at first also but now i have it up I am running 4 boxes

http://isboxer.com/wiki/EQ2:Quick_Start_Guide
<<

jskillz

Post Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:58 pm

Yep. Been there. Looked through a bunch of wiki links. Read some forums. Finally went to YouTube and watched a couple of videos. After a few hours of messing with this I finally got it to log in all the accounts (actually setting it up just to work wasn't hard to figure out), got my toons to follow the leader and got them all to attack the same target - most of the time. Maybe this thing is just too limited without using something else on top of Inner Space. What's got me really stymied is the fact that you only get 36 actual buttons in EQ2 to give hotkeys to. If there is no way to send slash (/) commands (such as /follow) to the other toons directly from ISBoxer, then you pretty much have to have every toon use up one of those hotkeys for each command you want to give. Seems to me you'll run out of them pretty quickly.

And I'm frustrated by helpful statements like "At the top of the Many new Mapped Keys window is a box labeled "Press a key combination here". Click in that box, and press each and every combination of keys you want to set up right now, which may include any combination of alt,ctrl,shift with whichever non-modifier key you like. " What the hell does that mean exactly? Could you give an example? Is that how you link different hotkeys to work at the same time? Combination of keys could refer to a lot of things. Once again, they make statements like this and give no example of what they mean by it and it's frustrating.

So far this program just seems really cumbersome to use and it still seems like for all but the most basic things I'm still going to have to just put 5 of my toons on follow and then manually do most of what I want to do by switching screens anyway. I guess the WoW people have it easy since they get some preconfigured stuff already.
<<

Ualaa

Grandmaster Guidesmith

Post Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:25 am

I personally use:
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 0, - and = ... which are all set up by the wizard.

I also use:
Alt: A, S, D, F, G, H, J, K, L, ; ... which are not default mapped keys, set by the wizard.

If you know that you'll want to use: Shift F1, F2, F3, F4, etc...
You can create numerous hotkeys at once.

For the most part, you could likely just run the wizard for whatever game you're playing (EQ2, I'll assume)...
And go with what you get.
If you need a hotkey to do something, make a mapped key for it.
Right click on the Keymap, make a new mapped key.
Give it a hotkey, the simplest is to use whatever the mapped key outputs as the hotkey to activate it.
Then choose the target, whether it is all toons, the other windows but not this one, or the current window only.
Streaming in 720p HD: www.twitch.tv/ualaa
<<

csillver

Post Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:30 pm

wow ok you sound like me! Since I seem to be coming from the same place as you, let me ask the question. I can make the macro for auto follow in the game, should I be creating a key to activate that macro across the other other screens? If so, should I be creating a key bar for all the keys I want to use?

I just want to: Get them to follow each other tightly; I can move them individually when required. Have them cast spells on targets from one window (using in game keys?) or attack and assist the same way.

thanks and I will take my answer off the air...
<<

jskillz

Post Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:27 am

OK, first of all, with EQ2, the wizard barely creates any preconfigured mapped keys. You get a few keys to change formations (which I don't see any use for) and that's about it. Secondly, through trial and error, I figured out that the make many new keys bit only creates a bunch of empty key maps for the keys you give it. Also, not very useful.

Once again, through trial and error, (since, like I said, the documentation is severely lacking) I've gotten my guys to autofollow the lead toon and cast cures on the leader. Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to get it to do this without having to click the bar or press the hotkey once for each step I give it. If I map different commands to each step in the key, I have to click once for each step. If I have them all in the same step, it doesn't do what I want. Like I have the first command send CTRL-1, which is my in game key for /target SoandSo. The next command is ALT-3 for the in-game hotkey to cast the cure. But when it's set up like this, it does the CTRL-1 right and targets the leader, but then instead of ALT-1, I just get it sending a 1, which is a completely different commnad in game. I've tried having it wait .2 seconds between steps, I've tried clicking the round-robin boxes (which I don't understand the function of, either) and every other combination that looks like it should work. But so far, if I want it to do 2 in-game commands, I have to click twice. If I want it to do 3 in-game commands, I have to click 3 times. The only deviation from this is that if I put a 4th step in to send text to the screen to let me know it's working, it seems to skip steps and go straight to sending the text. This makes no sense to me. Please tell me if I have 12 steps I want to do from a mapped key that I don't have to click a button on my clickbar 12 times to get it to work.

So far this program is barely saving me any work over my old method of alt-tabbing to different toons and doing it manually.
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:05 pm

The next command is ALT-3 for the in-game hotkey to cast the cure. But when it's set up like this, it does the CTRL-1 right and targets the leader, but then instead of ALT-1, I just get it sending a 1, which is a completely different commnad in game.

If you told it to send Alt+3, it really is sending Alt+3. However, many games are incorrectly designed such that the game isn't checking whether Alt is held at the time 3 is held, but rather whether Alt is held at the time the game interprets the 3. This likely includes EQ2. To work around this issue, you want to enable the Hold option on your Mapped Key (or the Key Map it's in) -- this will ensure that both Alt and 3 are held down until you let go of the Hotkey.

I've tried clicking the round-robin boxes (which I don't understand the function of, either)

When you hit F1 in any context, help will come up in the browser pane (upper right). If you click on some Action that has one of these check boxes (like one of your Keystroke Actions), and press F1, the help page provides a link to Round-robin that explains what this feature does. It's quite simple: you check "Round-robin within selected Target", then each time you press the Hotkey the Action will go to a different window within that Target -- so if that's "Window:All w/ Current" it will go to every window, just one of them at a time.

Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to get it to do this without having to click the bar or press the hotkey once for each step I give it.

That's the definition of a Step, is you press the hotkey again to make more things happen. If you don't want to have to press the hotkey again, then put more actions in the same Step. Be advised that keystrokes in the same step may get combined if they go to the same Target.

So.. if what you're saying you want is that you want 12 steps and you want to press 1 button a single time and have ISBoxer automatically cycle through all 12 of those steps, with delays in between, etc -- then the answer is no, ISBoxer absolutely will not do that. As advertised: ISBoxer does not provide any automation, autofire, botting, hacks or other cheating functionality. Top MMORPG publishers including Blizzard Entertainment, Trion Worlds, Sony Online Entertainment, CCP, Turbine, NCSoft and others all allow multiboxing with ISBoxer. If you are looking for that functionality, you can't find it here, it's just not what multiboxing is all about.

Return to EverQuest 2