FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Problem w/virtual files

Moderator: MiRai

<<

Ridosaw

ISBoxer Support Team

Post Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:24 pm

Problem w/virtual files

So I am finally getting around to solving a virtual file problem I have with Star Trek Onlines Gameprefs.pref file. As well as the Launcher HKCU/Software/Cryptic/Cryptic Launcher/ virtual registry info.

I seem to remember someone (might have been Sylver) talking about this issue, as it happens with Neverwinter as well. I searched for it again just recently and have come up empty handed on the forums here.

The problem is:
When I launch my Star Trek Online IsBoxer profiles characters set, and set my video mode to window maximized in STO, and then log out of all game instances, the gameprefs.pref and virtual .pref files are all set to winows maximized mode.
Now I launch my Star Trek Online IsBoxer profiles characters set a second time and all instances or slots of Star Trek Online are running in windows mode. Which is what I want.
But when I exit the game instances again, and relaunch again, all instances or slots are now back to full screen mode again. This is no good because the mouse cursor is now locked to the game window.
So I have to manually reset the video mode in game again to window maximized mode.

This cycle keeps repeating itself every other time I launch the IsBoxer Star Trek Online profile. The virtual gameprefs.pref file keep getting changed back to fullscreen mode somehow every other time I launch.

I seem to remember someone (might have been Sylver) saying it had to do with the last launched instance of the game, changes the mode back to default or something, and I think there was a fix for it but I don't remember what is was now.

I am also having this "every other time issue with the HKCU/Software/Cryptic/Cryptic Launcher/ virtual registry info as well".
I use custom server IP parameters with the gameclient.exe in the Innerspace game launch information to launch the Star Trek Online game instances. This bypasses the launcher, and launches directly in to the game, where it arrives at the log in screen. First time I log in all works well. If I log a character out, and then go to log a different character in I get a "log In server time out error". Then when I try to log in after that it works again. So again its this every other time situation.

Please help,

Ridosaw
<<

bob

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:10 pm

Re: Problem w/virtual files

I'm not sure we really can help much.
As the game is writing to the configuration files, then it would be the game which is resetting the video mode.

On the ARC forum there is the suggestion of
•open up gameprefs.pref
•set PrefEntry GfxSettings.Fullscreen to 0
and that might help...

Otherwise it seems to be bad news, and a common "feature" of all Cryptic games, changing between Windowed and Fullscreen modes between launches.
<<

Ridosaw

ISBoxer Support Team

Post Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:30 pm

Thanks for the reply,

I figured I would stump the multiboxing community with this one.

•open up gameprefs.pref
and that might help...

Thats actually the setting in the gameprefs.pref file that changes every other time you launch the isboxer profile.

Not sure why, but in order for the game to launch in windowed mode that setting needs to be set to fullscreen = 1, not 0. You would think it would be the other way around.

What I have been doing to work around this issue is:
I set all the games preferences, on all the characters I am playing, to what I require them to be. Then I navigate to each virtual gameprefs.pref file created by isboxer, and set the attribute for each file to block write access.
This prevents the files from being written back to fullscreen=0. So when I need to change a setting, I have to unblock write access and then block again when the setting change is completed.

What I would like to be able to do is work with these files without having to block and unblock write access. I seem to have a memory of someone in the neverwinter forums somewhere explaining that they figured out why this occurred, and there may have been a fix for it. Hopefully that person will come forward after reading this post.

Thanks Again,

Ridosaw
<<

nodoze

Post Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:17 am

Ridosaw wrote:Thanks for the reply,

I figured I would stump the multiboxing community with this one.

•open up gameprefs.pref
and that might help...

Thats actually the setting in the gameprefs.pref file that changes every other time you launch the isboxer profile.

Not sure why, but in order for the game to launch in windowed mode that setting needs to be set to fullscreen = 1, not 0. You would think it would be the other way around.

What I have been doing to work around this issue is:
I set all the games preferences, on all the characters I am playing, to what I require them to be. Then I navigate to each virtual gameprefs.pref file created by isboxer, and set the attribute for each file to block write access.
This prevents the files from being written back to fullscreen=0. So when I need to change a setting, I have to unblock write access and then block again when the setting change is completed.

What I would like to be able to do is work with these files without having to block and unblock write access. I seem to have a memory of someone in the neverwinter forums somewhere explaining that they figured out why this occurred, and there may have been a fix for it. Hopefully that person will come forward after reading this post.

Thanks Again,

Ridosaw
Rido, Now that is a pretty creative work-around. I think I remember this issue but unfortunately do not remember there ever being a fix.

Return to Neverwinter