Post Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:06 pm

TUTORIAL: Emotes and Commands without Binds in Neverwinter

While crafting NeverBoxer v.9, I was determined to get the emotes working, but with over 50 of them, it became very apparent that using keybinds wasn't an option.

I spent a considerable amount of time trying different ideas and techniques before finally perfecting a method of injecting Neverwinter commands into the command line that the game would actually accept and execute.

You can use this for any command, not just the emotes. Your mileage will very, however, as it works better for some than for others...

Here's how it works:

Step 1: Create a mapped key for the emote or command you wish to use. Here you can see that I've created a map for the "Evil laugh" emote.

Step 2: Add an action that broadcasts the " / " character to the Current Window. This automatically takes you to the chat/command line of Neverwinter.

Step 3: Add an action that contains a String with your actual command in it. In this example, it's "emote Evillaugh". IT IS VERY IMPORTANT that you click the checkbox "Fill Windows Clipboard with the Text...". If you try and just send the String to the command line like you normally would with ISBoxer it simply won't work. What I was attempting was to then force a copy & paste to the command line instead. That's what the next line does...

Step 4: Send "Ctrl + V" to the Current Window. This is the universal "Paste" keyboard shortcut used by the Windows Operating System and just about any program that runs under Windows. I'm cheating here, but it works! ;)

Step 5: Now send "Enter" to seal the deal and send the pasted command that's now in the chat/command line to Neverwinter.

Enjoy! :D
- Sylver