FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Rogues

Moderator: MiRai

<<

lemartes99

Post Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:20 pm

Rogues

Made some extra chars today on my Main account since the character slot upgrade is on sale.

Oh my god do Rogues dish out damage. How in the world is that even fair. Even compared to my great fighter the rogue kills 2 or 3 times faster. It must even out later in the game.

Considering how close I came to downing some bosses with 5x Clerics, If I had a rogue for sure I would have beat them.
How are rogues in end game ? Do they hold up pretty good or are they super squishy (can't be any worse than clerics).
<<

Norrin

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:27 pm

Re: Rogues

My Rogue was the first character I played. And the first I that I got to max level.
Someone had mentioned that they get harder as they get into the later levels, starting at around 30.
I found that too not be the case. I had no problem all the way to max. This was all solo though.

By far rogue is my favorite class to play solo with. Have not really tried to box as they rely on targeting to much for me.
<<

zandokan

Post Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:28 pm

My TR beats my Wiz dmg wise on bosses but my wiz beats my TR zone wide.
<<

nodoze

Post Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:46 pm

I personally think that Wizards are better for MBing than Rogues or Great-Weapon-Fighters because, though all have good but different kinds of DPS, for MBing the Wizard does it from range & brings AoE Crowd Control for the darn Adds... TR may be highest single target DPS but the others aren't terrible and have good AoE options as well.

That being said BiggCarl has cleared the most instances and he has both a TR & a CW in his 5 man group. After seeing Biggcarl have success with a melee in his party I took one of my Rogues to dual-box with a GF & two healing companions to do the level 30 quests to get the extra bag and it wasn't as bad as I expected... It appears that melee background followers kinda "strike-walk" to the target with each mouse click even when a ways away but I found it best if you can get them really close before starting the fights. Before fights I generally paused on my GF and made sure the TR was close before heading toward the Mobs and I would often run past them a little instead of stopping prior to bring the TR closer before starting encounter abilities. With the Trickster's ability to teleport behind the boss and DPS plus the right talents he seems reasonably survivable and does really high single target DPS.

Even with the above in mind I am still going to stick with Wizards for good-enough DPS from range + CC (at least until Bow Rangers come out and can compare them). I am hoping I will find GF+DCx2+CWx2 as a viable team for Epic 5mans.

EDIT: For what it is worth my buddy's first main was his Rogue but now that he has leveled up his Wizard he prefers that much more and considers it much more survivable in Boss fights. With my healer the melee are so jammed up around the boss in fights it is really hard to tell what is going on with all the graphics & animations & personally I think I also would play the Wizard over the rogue if I wasn't playing either the tank or healer in a party. That being said I personally I haven't yet played either Wizard or a Rogue at cap yet (my highest Rogue is ~33 and both my wizards for my future 5man are ~30).
<<

Sylver

Post Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:46 am

nodoze wrote:It appears that melee background followers kinda "strike-walk" to the target with each mouse click even when a ways away but I found it best if you can get them really close before starting the fights.

I don't know if the TRs have it, but for the GFs, there's a charge (Shift + F1) that Biggcarl had in his binds that I added. That makes them jump into melee (just like Men at Arms) from a distance. Since I don't have a TR in my party and have never played one, I don't know if they have an equivalient charge/jump/teleport.

Any TR players out there that can answer this?
- Sylver
<<

nodoze

Post Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:07 am

Sylver wrote:
nodoze wrote:It appears that melee background followers kinda "strike-walk" to the target with each mouse click even when a ways away but I found it best if you can get them really close before starting the fights.

I don't know if the TRs have it, but for the GFs, there's a charge (Shift + F1) that Biggcarl had in his binds that I added. That makes them jump into melee (just like Men at Arms) from a distance. Since I don't have a TR in my party and have never played one, I don't know if they have an equivalient charge/jump/teleport.

Any TR players out there that can answer this?
Rogues get Deft Strike which is like a charge but better for a Rogue as it teleports them behind the target giving combat advantage as well as avoiding red frontal or cone attacks. The main difference is that one of the GF's charges is an at-will that can be used anytime to close distance while the Rogues is and Encounter power with a 13+ second cool-down.

I did use Deft Strike initially early on while running with my GF+TR to have them both engage immediately (both charging/teleporting) but then later decided it was better to initially start fights by having the GF run slightly past the mob that I wanted the TR on and then as the TR closes I would start popping all the cool-downs except Deft Strike and save that to re-position the Rogue when urgent or needed next.

For example on my GF I would tail-gate my Rogue to the healer/caster and let him start to DPS then charge the boss on the GF to get/keep his aggro. Once the Healer/Caster was down I would deft-stike the rogue to join me on the boss (behind the boss) with no "crab-walking"/"strike-walking" and not switching windows. I also liked to save it for teleporting mobs or to help get the Rogue out of red attacks. There may be other options for Rogue positioning but that is the only ones that I tried while getting the extra bags...
<<

mrmagoo

Post Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:53 am

Man I did jump in the deep end didn't I? The only class I don't have is the swingy melee person one.

No one seems to give them any love? I wonder what their DPS is like compared to a rogue?

I am very glad after reading this that I have a rogue though and not another gothy wizard.
He is a massive half-orc with a bald head and a 5 Oclock shadow beard. His name is Shaft. But he looks like Shaft after he became an alcoholic and really let himself go and got some terrible dental work done.
I thought it would be amusing to see a massive half-orc dance around like a ponce with daggers...and I was right! :mrgreen: Highly recommend it.

But this is very good info. I would like more talk on mixed class combos. I am such a NW noob at this point and I can barely get this game launched without having to write yet another 15 page post about something.

I will surely spread the knowledge if and when I find something out worth knowing.

Return to Neverwinter