FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Super Noob looking for help!

Moderator: MiRai

<<

Evilsquash

Post Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:59 pm

Super Noob looking for help!

I have been beating on ISBoxer for a week and have yet to get it to work. VERY frustrated with it by now. I have talked to a few people all with different advice, I have watched to many videos and read too many forum pages, all conflicting each other. I have tried everything I know how to get this to work and either cant or can with intermittent issues. ANY help is greatly appreciated!!

I followed this example from Joe for STOL and modified it for neverwinter but followed the same steps, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3nsrmvN184, I have not used the Neverwinter macros at all.

I have posted my config if anyone can help. I used the game wizard to set it up and everything looks fine to me as far as variable keys and keybinds, but it just don't work. I am also loading a Binds.txt when Neverwinter starts.

Config is at:
http://www.privatepaste.com/ae8c4d9296

My /binds:
F1 "Hardtargetlock 1 $$ target ISB21"
F2 "Hardtargetlock 1 $$ target ISB22"
F3 "Hardtargetlock 1 $$ target ISB23"

F4 "Follow"
F5 "Assist"

F9 "invite ISB21$$invite ISB22$$invite ISB23"

F10 "SetFollow 0"
F12 "hardtargetlock 0"
<<

Bishopwrath

Post Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:52 am

Re: Super Noob looking for help!

Problem 1. You will want to use full names, ISB#@handle. The party invite thing has trouble figuring out who is who until they are in group. Once in the group, you will be able to /target /assist /follow using first names. You can also just use "invite @handle" This is a nice option for those who have multiple teams and always use the same account as the leader. (No changing keybinds for other teams). Another problem is that the game is confusing how you set up your perfectworld accounts. It won't let you see your username after it's created. When you login, you can use your username or email address. Your username isn't necessarily the same as your handle. If you are in a guild, you can see your handle. You can also see it in chat. I don't know your experience, so I am covering all the bases. Ignore the superfluous info.

Problem 2. If you're using F9 to broadcast to all members of your 3-man group, you will run into problems. Each member will be trying to start their own group. I am assuming ISB21 is the character name of your main toon. You want your main toon to invite everyone else "invite ISB22 $$ invite ISB23." Another problem I've been running into, is the game will sometimes ignore the third action in a $$ string. I guess all I'm saying is it's not all you. The game is inconsistent with these. An alternate command you can use is "team_request ISB21@handle" This only works if you have a group already, so you need to invite the first toon, then all others can broadcast the team request and automatically join the party if you have auto-join enabled on the party leader. You have to do two steps, so I'm not sure it's a time saver.
<<

Evilsquash

Post Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:41 am

Hey Bishop, thanks for the advice. Anything that works is new to me. I am finding that ISBoxer is TOO customizable, people are doing the same thing in different ways.

Yes, my first toon is ISB21. What it is doing now is if I click Alt-F for follow on ISB21, nothing will follow. If I click Alt-F from ISB22, only ISB21 will follow. if I click ISB23 both ISB21 and ISB22 follow and this works fine. I believe this has to do the the variable keystroke under the character set, these were set by the game wizard.
ISB21 F1, F2, F3
ISB22 F2, F1. F3
ISB23 F2, F3, F1
I have tried switching these around and it has not worked.
Thanks again!
<<

Bishopwrath

Post Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:15 am

I am there with you. I had my target, follow, and assist working alright. Then I started trying new things, like FTL and Pro. I think I corrupted my binds and hotkeys. No matter how much I tried, I couldn't fix it. I am planning to go back to a previous save or wipe it and start again.
<<

nodoze

Post Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:41 am

The following KISS (Keep it Super Simple) is a very basic, simple, clean config that I downloaded when I started and tested and it & then simplified it, added a few things, and uploaded it. It has very simple instructions & worked for me to level my duo to 60:

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=4019&sid=138cb79f3389157a82df417627ab6251#p17389

After you have that working you could try something more advanced like Sylver's NeverBoxer:

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=4198

I haven't personally tried NeverBoxer yet but hope to when I get back from vacation.

Good Luck.
<<

Evilsquash

Post Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:25 am

nodoze wrote:The following KISS (Keep it Super Simple) is a very basic, simple, clean config that I downloaded when I started and tested and it & then simplified it, added a few things, and uploaded it. It has very simple instructions & worked for me to level my duo to 60:

http://isboxer.com/forum/viewtopic.php? ... 251#p17389

After you have that working you could try something more advanced like Sylver's NeverBoxer:

http://isboxer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=4198

I haven't personally tried NeverBoxer yet but hope to when I get back from vacation.

Good Luck.

Thanks Doze! let me ask you:
1. In the NWNon-combat folder it looks like follow is set to ` and assist is set to shift+` is that correct?
2. Variable keystrokes in the game are set to f10 for assist and f11 for follow , is that correct? These are tied to the above keybinds?
3. The variable keystrokes you have set for tankus and healus under the character , the F1 and F2 keys, those allow you to jump characters and always be the leader, correct?
4. Why did you set F1 and F2 variable keystrokes at the Character level AND the Character Sets level?
5. Does the these F1 and F2 variable keystrokes correspond to your F2 "hardtargetlock 1 $$ target Healus"
F1 "hardtargetlock 1 $$ target Tankus" /binds? If you don't include this in your /binds will F1 and F2 still work and switch between characters?

I know I ask a lot of questions, I have left this in open chat so other newbies hopefully can follow along, your not only helping me but a lot of other people. THANKS Doze!!!
<<

nodoze

Post Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:17 pm

Evilsquash wrote:
nodoze wrote:The following KISS (Keep it Super Simple) is a very basic, simple, clean config that I downloaded when I started and tested and it & then simplified it, added a few things, and uploaded it. It has very simple instructions & worked for me to level my duo to 60:

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=4019&sid=138cb79f3389157a82df417627ab6251#p17389

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=4198

Good Luck.

Thanks Doze! let me ask you:
1. In the NWNon-combat folder it looks like follow is set to ` and assist is set to shift+` is that correct?
2. Variable keystrokes in the game are set to f10 for assist and f11 for follow , is that correct? These are tied to the above keybinds?
3. The variable keystrokes you have set for tankus and healus under the character , the F1 and F2 keys, those allow you to jump characters and always be the leader, correct?
4. Why did you set F1 and F2 variable keystrokes at the Character level AND the Character Sets level?
5. Does the these F1 and F2 variable keystrokes correspond to your F2 "hardtargetlock 1 $$ target Healus"
F1 "hardtargetlock 1 $$ target Tankus" /binds? If you don't include this in your /binds will F1 and F2 still work and switch between characters?

I know I ask a lot of questions, I have left this in open chat so other newbies hopefully can follow along, your not only helping me but a lot of other people. THANKS Doze!!!
First credit where credit is due, Norrin actually created the original and I took his apart & simplified it some and added a few things and made it for a single monitor for the lowest common denominator & then added instructions focused on usage rather than on creation... If you look at Post 3 in the thread below the KISS setup Norrin walks through creating each component step by step...

1a. In the NWNon-combat folder it looks like follow is set to ` ... is that correct?
Yes ` is follow and I updated the original KISS post with instructions to reflect that (sorry for the oversight of leaving that off). I also put in a note on F8 which is key to breaking hard targeting which is important at times like talking to NPCs or looting chests...

1b. In the NWNon-combat folder it looks like ... assist is set to shift+` is that correct?
Yes, BUT I never execute that command manually but that is called by other key strokes... For example, for each action for the follower(s), when I press mouse clicks or Ctrl-Q, or what ever, it calls Assist somewhat like in the following step actions:
- Sync Cursor - All windows;
- Do Assist in NWNonCombat Key Map -> Self;
- Send the mouse to all windows including main or all other windows if Ctrl+keys...

Yes. For example, from memory I believe NWNonCombat calls the standard Non-combat which calls the variable keystroke F10 tied to assist in the keybind...

Yes, when I switch back and forth they change leadership. I almost never do that as I almost always worked with the GF in the foreground...

I didn't, Norrin did & his explanation listed in Post 3 under the KISS indicated he had to do it but that maybe it was due to a bug. I would read his whole post to understand it in full but the relevant text I believe is:

"You will need to update the Target Slot 1 - Target Slot 5 keys (or however [many] you actually need).
You will also need to update those keys in the actual Character Variable Keystrokes as well. I found that if you do not update the actual characters the targeting will not work for some reason. Bug maybe."

5. Does the these F1 and F2 variable keystrokes correspond to your F2 "hardtargetlock 1 $$ target Healus" F1 "hardtargetlock 1 $$ target Tankus" /binds? If you don't include this in your /binds will F1 and F2 still work and switch between characters?

Yes I believe they do and I don't think it will still work if you don't update your binds.txt file. Each time I used a new duo with new characters I had to change the binds.txt file to match the character names. Note however that I didn't need to update the ISBoxer conifig with my actual character names when I changed characters (just the binds.txt) ...

Lastly, I think it is good to ask questions and taking things apart helps you learn. My goal with the KISS was to try to give new folk something they could just 'grab & go' with to get at least an effective Duo going... The documentation I added in the KISS (Post #2) was focused on just implementing & using and I am very glad you found a few things I missed in the instructions... In Post 3 Norrin takes more of a developer's approach on how to actually create that setup... After you get comfortable with a duo then I would look at maybe the NeverBoxer setup for a full 5man. I personally haven't tried it yet but look forward to if I can tweak my performance settings to be able to run 5 clients when I get back from vacation...

Return to Neverwinter