FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Modifier Mess

Moderator: MiRai

<<

Bishopwrath

Post Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:16 am

Modifier Mess

I've been tinkering around with ISBoxer. I finally got my cleric to reliably follow my tank. I also got it to break follow when I need it to. Now I can actually do something in the game.

I do have a question though. Is it just me, or is Cryptic a menace to modifiers? They hogged nearly all of the keys available and made the modifiers: control (target lock), alt (freeze screen), and shift (tank guard) the most used keys. I am having a lot of trouble sorting out logical combinations for keys to use without either breaking the game or breaking my ISBoxer team setup.

I've noticed that ISBoxer uses some compound keybinds like Control+Alt+Shift+Num0, and gives us the option to relay it through an in-game hotkey like F1. When this happens, do the actions from the Control, Alt and Shift get activated?

I really want to make Shift into an All Other Repeater modifier (or clutch), so my slaves can do Q, W, E, and R. I am afraid what that would do to my tank's block though. Is it possible to reassign Shift to Tab and Tab to Tilde?
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:48 am

Re: Modifier Mess

I've noticed that ISBoxer uses some compound keybinds like Control+Alt+Shift+Num0, and gives us the option to relay it through an in-game hotkey like F1. When this happens, do the actions from the Control, Alt and Shift get activated?

When you begin pressing the specified Hotkey, the first thing you do is hold down Ctrl, Alt, and Shift. (Side note: Shift is not compatible with Numpad keys.) So I think that at the very least, the current window is very likely to activate those things in the game. IS can't know to block anything until you get to the Numpad 0 part, so those keys are not dropped when you press them.

The Mapped Key may or may not allow those modifiers to bleed through, depending on the "Hold" option for the Mapped Key. If the Hold option is enabled, then IS can't drop extraneous modifier keys. If the Hold option is not enabled, then extraneous modifier keys (the Ctrl+Alt+Shift you're holding in order to send a F1 without modifiers) should be dropped for the duration of the keystroke sent to the game.

I don't know if they let you re-bind the modifier keys in the game.
Another fun fact about Cryptic games and modifiers: the Cryptic key binding engine is they only let you use 1 modifier at a time on your in-game bindings.
<<

Bishopwrath

Post Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:00 pm

Re: Modifier Mess

Thanks. That helps a lot. It really simplifies things when you consider you're sending command to InnerSpace, and they are actually playing your game. Most of the commands pass through unchanged, but others are. I never really considered that.

Return to Neverwinter