FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

GUIDE: Part 4 - Optimizing Neverwinter for Multi-Boxing

Moderator: MiRai

<<

Sylver

Post Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:57 am

Re: GUIDE: Neverwinter ISBoxer Performance Optimization

MiRai wrote:
Sylver wrote:If you have 16GB or more - you are golden! If you have 16GB or more, consider turning off your Windows page file (sometimes called swap file) to make Windows minimize system hard disk activity. Just realize that if you exceed your system's overall RAM without one, it will crash your system.

You probably shouldn't be telling people to disable their page file because depending on their system, this can have major repercussions. Everyone's system is so different and there's no way you can know who runs what programs at this moment in time and what they're going to be running in the future. Saying, "I've been doing it for 5 years now with no problem!" doesn't mean anything when you're writing a guide that hundreds of people, with vastly different system setups, may end up reading and following.

If someone disables their page file and ends up with odd system activity or sporadic crashes, it's doubtful that they're going to remember they disabled it and they're going to be stuck wondering what's going on -- Especially since I believe disabling the page file doesn't let the computer do a memory dump on the event of a bluescreen. If anyone is hurting for that much performance, then disabling the page file will probably not stop the inevitable need to purchase new hardware.

If you're going to keep that bit in the guide, then I would suggest telling people to just decrease it to the minimum recommended size which is like 400MB or something, but even then, that really only saves on HDD space.

Thanks for the reply. I did warn people that it can lead to crashes if they exceed their available RAM, so really it's their choice. I'll remove it. If you do have more constructive comments, just shoot me a message - it would be appreciated.
- Sylver
<<

zandokan

Post Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:19 pm

Re: GUIDE: Neverwinter Multi-box Graphics Optimization

Sylver wrote:
zandokan wrote:Ok I tried doing it when all characters are up I even saved the UI to see it it would save but still no luck every time I reopen the set they all have the same video settings. Maybe is the way I close the windows? I tried Exit button from within game maybe I have to click the red X from windows itself, I will try that next.

Ok, it is certainly working 100% for me. Im launching my character set from inside ISboxer (right click on the character set name) and it launches characters 1-5 in succession. SLOT1 is max graphics, and SLOT2-5 are low-res as in my above guide.

Now, there are settings for the character set and window layout's "instant swapping" that may affect this (although I'm not certain). The instant swapping makes the resolution for all screens the same. Here's some screenshots for you to look at. Maybe make your settings mirror mine - perhaps it will fix your problems?

Let me know if that helps. :)

Yeah, I've tried that still not doing it. Every time I fix the settings on Slot 1 next time I load the game all my slaves are with the same settings as slot 1. Do you have a copy of your XML. So I can see what is yours like?
<<

Sylver

Post Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:43 pm

I'll be putting my IS-Never-Boxer config up over the weekend... working on cleaning it up now for you guys. Then you can just download the whole thing - hope it solves whatever problem you're having. I've got two difference machines and it works on both. hmmm....

Can anyone else following this thread confirm that they are able to configure SLOT 1 hi-res and the remaining SLOT2-5 characters at a lower resolution?
- Sylver
<<

zandokan

Post Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:06 pm

What's weird to me is that when I launch each Slot it keeps the different username so why doesn't it keep everything else?
<<

Sylver

Post Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:14 pm

zandokan wrote:What's weird to me is that when I launch each Slot it keeps the different username so why doesn't it keep everything else?

Look at the "Virtual Files" section in the screenshots above. Does yours look identical? Do you have just 2 subitems there - Gamesprefs.Pref and Software/Cryptic/Cryptic Launcher ?

The reason I ask is that I've seen some other people have had a 3rd subitem there... don't know if that makes a difference or not. :?:
- Sylver
<<

zandokan

Post Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:31 pm

Sylver wrote:
zandokan wrote:What's weird to me is that when I launch each Slot it keeps the different username so why doesn't it keep everything else?

Look at the "Virtual Files" section in the screenshots above. Does yours look identical? Do you have just 2 subitems there - Gamesprefs.Pref and Software/Cryptic/Cryptic Launcher ?

The reason I ask is that I've seen some other people have had a 3rd subitem there... don't know if that makes a difference or not. :?:

I do have 2 subtitels but one doesnt just say Gamesprefs.pref, it was inside LIVE and something else. I rename it to jst Gamespref.pref now. Hopefully that fixed it.
<<

zandokan

Post Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:52 pm

Nope, /sigh now everytime i log in is like the first time I ever logged to the game, all settings aren't saved. I will just wait for your patch I guess , gonna try to see if at least I can have the HUD as you to start with.
<<

Sylver

Post Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:55 pm

zandokan wrote:Nope, /sigh now everytime i log in is like the first time I ever logged to the game, all settings aren't saved. I will just wait for your patch I guess , gonna try to see if at least I can have the HUD as you to start with.

Since you're waiting, I'll try putting up a version of m build today. Its not where I'd like it to be yet, but at least maybe it will get you started. I will be updating it regularly anyways...
- Sylver
<<

zandokan

Post Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:33 pm

Ok I went home and I tried making a new set on my gaming rig and the same thing it just wont let me keep a video setting on each character/slot.
<<

Sylver

Post Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:14 pm

I'm working hard on getting my config cleaned up to post... if the baby stays asleep long enough tonight I should be able to get it posted. :D
- Sylver
PreviousNext

Return to Neverwinter