FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

MUST READ: /Bind_load_file - Automatic load at start

Moderator: MiRai

<<

Sylver

Post Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:34 pm

MUST READ: /Bind_load_file - Automatic load at start

Made a great find last night while experimenting with my new IS-Never-Boxer setup.

Here's how you can get Neverwinter to automatically load your BINDS at startup!

Just put the /bind_load_file BINDS.TXT under the command line options in the loader and *Shazam* you should find your binds areautomatically loaded at startup of the main game exectuable.

Under ISBoxer it also does it for each of your characters and remembers it from session to session. So once you've done this - you never have to mess with loading binds for that character/team again!

Here's how it looks like:

It's working great for me - let me know if it works for the rest of your setups as well.

Cheers!
Last edited by Sylver on Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Sylver
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:44 pm

Re: MUST READ: /Bind_load_file - Automatic load at start

Nice :)

I'll have to add something for ISBoxer to auto-load ISBoxer-binds.txt
<<

Bishopwrath

Post Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:23 pm

I notice one of the posts said to first unbind, then bind whatever keybinding file you need. Will this method still work if we have a custom bind file previously loaded?
<<

Sylver

Post Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:56 pm

No need to unbind - this loads the BINDS.TXT new each time the launcher "launches" the main Neverwinter executable.

Even in game I've never "unbound" my binds, just loaded my binds via "/bind_load_file BINDS.TXT" and never had problems.
- Sylver
<<

zandokan

Post Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:24 am

Sweet thank Sylver.
<<

Sylver

Post Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:34 pm

lax wrote:Nice :)

Lax, was messing around with this today and your virtualization of the binds into "isboxer-XXXX Team-XXXX-binds.txt" files and thought of a way to make this work...

From what I can tell, when I launch the team, ISBoxer launches Neverwinter executable with a virtualized config for SLOT1, SLOT2, SLOT3, SLOT 4 and then SLOT5.

Would it be possible in ISBoxer, in between each of those calls to the Neverwinter executable for SLOT1, 2, 3, ...5, to copy "isboxer-XXXX Team-XXXX-binds.txt" to binds.txt? What I'm getting at is that if you did that, then each of your virtualized "isboxer-XXXX Team-XXXX-binds.txt" files becomes binds.txt and gets AUTOLOADED using the command line in the options (see my original post above) for each character. That would automate the entire process when launching the team and ensure they each had their own binds and only require the one-time manual entry of "/bind_load_file binds.txt" into the launcher command line option field. After that you would never have to type any bind-loading commands in game or into the options field of the launcher.

It's a simple and elegant fix and requires maybe just a few lines of code added to ISBoxer- what do you think? ;)
- Sylver
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:28 pm

Would it be possible in ISBoxer, in between each of those calls to the Neverwinter executable for SLOT1, 2, 3, ...5, to copy "isboxer-XXXX Team-XXXX-binds.txt" to binds.txt?

I think you're missing the point of the virtual file...

They are split into many files, but when you load "isboxer-binds.txt" it automatically loads the right one. There is no copying to binds.txt needed, you just need to change your "/bind_load_file binds.txt" to "/bind_load_file isboxer-binds.txt".

The best part is that it doesn't require any code changes in ISBoxer, it just already works this way.

As I mentioned in my previous post in this thread...

... the same way that you're auto-loading binds.txt, it will auto-load ISBoxer-binds.txt.
<<

Bishopwrath

Post Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:35 pm

The only two people writing/creating bind files are NW and us. If we use the /bind_save_file bindfilename.txt in-game, NW will make it. We can make our own too, of course. I think what you're suggesting will add a third party to the mix. Having so many people writing files, with no rules established my get confusing. The process is simple enough, but some understanding or process needs to be reached.

Method 1. Find a way to get ISBoxer to write the custom bind file and get it to update the filename in the launcher option window.
Method 2. Have ISBoxer write to a generic bind.txt file. User provides the path and toggles the option on/off. The user fills in the command line. This will mean players will have to keep a working copy apart from the generic binds.txt. I think we generally do already. The generic file makes a good medium, like community property.

While we're talking about bind files. I've been tinkering with my wife's setup. She likes to use a controller. She done me proud by setting it up herself. It bugs out though, because it writes directly to the keybinds and masquerades as normal keys other times. I am itching to make a binds file for her, but she doesn't want me screwing with it.
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:19 pm

Bishopwrath wrote:The only two people writing/creating bind files are NW and us.
Method 1. Find a way to get ISBoxer to write the custom bind file and get it to update the filename in the launcher option window.

This is the entire purpose of the Cryptic Studios Macro Library (the Cryptic Studios option under Game Helpers). The only thing "missing" from ISBoxer for this process is adding /bind_load_file isboxer-binds.txt to the command line; it's not added because I had no idea it was possible until this thread, and I have not yet had time to patch it in to ISBoxer since Sylver described it.

Just yesterday I wrote a guide in a post just for you on how to make ISBoxer generate a binds file. This feature was added on May 30th and described in this thread -- New in ISBoxer 41.3.0530.1: Cryptic Studios Game Helper!

All Sylver was missing is that he apparently thinks he has to load each character-specific file individually. However, the instructions specifically say to load isboxer-binds.txt; (ISBOXER GENERATES ISBOXER-BINDS.TXT) the character-specific stuff is all handled by ISBoxer behind the scenes, through virtualization.

Aside from making a video that walks through the simple process I've been explaining to you and Sylver for 3 days I'm not sure what sort of hammer I need to get this across. ;)
<<

Sylver

Post Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:29 pm

lax wrote:
Bishopwrath wrote:The only two people writing/creating bind files are NW and us.
All Sylver was missing is that he apparently thinks he has to load each character-specific file individually. However, the instructions specifically say to load isboxer-binds.txt; (ISBOXER GENERATES ISBOXER-BINDS.TXT) the character-specific stuff is all handled by ISBoxer behind the scenes, through virtualization.

Aside from making a video that walks through the simple process I've been explaining to you and Sylver for 3 days I'm not sure what sort of hammer I need to get this across. ;)

You're right, I missed the isoboxer-binds.txt part, my bad. It's just been then when I looked in that file it was always empty - didn't see any binds from any characters in there so I assumed it didn't do anything.

Thanks for the above mini-guide tho - it was very helpful. :mrgreen: As someone who really has had it for less than a week I think I'm getting the hang of it, but I can see the ISBoxer-ocean goes pretty deep. That being said - yeah, you need a video or walkthrough to help your new customers understand your product a bit more. Hell, in prob the same amount of time you've spent banging stuff into my head you could have written two guides and done a video by now. :D
- Sylver
Next

Return to Neverwinter