FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

[bug?] Sound garbled

Moderator: MiRai

<<

Bishopwrath

Post Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:31 pm

[bug?] Sound garbled

I loaded up the presets from the wizard, then made a team with five toons. The game worked fine apart from me not setting up anything properly.

When I cleared the profile and loaded up NWduoGF+DC_1980x1050_v01.xml and NWDualTeam1_Norrin.xml, all of my sound was garbled, including windows media player. This began happening even at the launcher. If I launch the game without ISO, the sound works fine. I thought it could be that I was getting sound from all of the accounts at once, which it seems I was, but the non-primary screen sound was checked as disabled. Any ideas? I sifted through those two presets and didn't notice any sound settings. I am really new at this, so I could certainly be screwing something up on my end.
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:43 pm

Re: [bug?] Sound garbled

Weird. But, it sounds like you might have a CPU-bound sound chip and this could potentially be solved by updating the drivers for your motherboard/sound

ISBoxer doesn't affect anything relating to the actual sounds; the "mute background" option is just using the Windows Volume Mixer to mute/unmute each instance
<<

Sylver

Post Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:03 pm

Recommend you go into the sound settings of Neverwinter. There's an option there to turn off the DSP (used for effects like reverb, etc). You still get stereo sound without it and it just might solve your prob.
- Sylver
<<

Bishopwrath

Post Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:21 pm

I had Realtech audio drivers for the on-board soundcard. The game didn't like them, so I had to uninstall them and use the windows default ones.
<<

Bishopwrath

Post Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:24 am

I updated my sound drivers and disabled DSP. No change. It sounds like it is trying to cram the sound through one channel, toggling rapidly between both screens or something. It's really rather disturbing.

I don't know if this is related, but I got the same toggling issue with my failed attempt at a repeater button. The repeater icon on the top left toggles rapidly between ON an OFF on my main screen. When I hit the toggle button again, it stays off persistently.

I think I need to clear my profile and start from scratch.
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:50 am

Bishopwrath wrote:I updated my sound drivers and disabled DSP. No change. It sounds like it is trying to cram the sound through one channel, toggling rapidly between both screens or something. It's really rather disturbing.

Try enabling "Mute background game window audio and un-mute foreground game window audio" in your Character Set?

I don't know if this is related, but I got the same toggling issue with my failed attempt at a repeater button. The repeater icon on the top left toggles rapidly between ON an OFF on my main screen. When I hit the toggle button again, it stays off persistently.

It comes with a repeater button when you use the Quick Setup Wizard you know ;)
<<

Bishopwrath

Post Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:51 am

True enough about the built-in repeater. I am just 3 days into this business, so for every new piece of ISBoxer I drag out, I break it five times before I get it to work. This instance though was totally my fault. I hooked it up to a G-key on my G19 keyboard and set it to toggle. Since the button was already scripted as a toggle, it wigged it out. When I reset it as a standard click, it worked.
<<

Bishopwrath

Post Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:00 am

After all that, I finally fixed the issue. I saw that there was a toggle issue with windows. It kept unmuting when I wanted it to mute, and vice versa, so I just unchecked the box "Mute background game window audio and unmute foreground window audio."
<<

Sylver

Post Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:56 am

Bishopwrath wrote:After all that, I finally fixed the issue. I saw that there was a toggle issue with windows. It kept unmuting when I wanted it to mute, and vice versa, so I just unchecked the box "Mute background game window audio and unmute foreground window audio."

Lax, I experienced this myself on my laptop yesterday. There is an issue somewhere - when "Mute background game window audio and unmute foreground window audio." is checked, I got lockups on slave characters. It typically is only one slave at a time and has only been the #2 or #3 slave out of a 5-man party. It locks so hard you have to go into Task Manager and force it closed before you can go relaunch that character... It doesn't happen often though. Out of the dozens of times I've launched my setup, it's only happened twice.
- Sylver

Return to Neverwinter