FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Slowness

Moderator: MiRai

<<

zandokan

Post Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:24 pm

Slowness

Idk why but I used to run 12 instances on this same pc in EQ2 but here with only 5 is going VERY slow. I had to turn all the graphics to shit and stil not close to when I play solo. I have 16 gigs of ram, 256hd SSD, I7 920, NVIDIA GTX 560 TI so is there something i'm not doing right?. Whats weird is that they are using 8 gigs of ram and my CPU is at 40ish% so idk whats making it go so slow.
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: Slowness

zandokan wrote:Idk why but I used to run 12 instances on this same pc in EQ2 but here with only 5 is going VERY slow. I had to turn all the graphics to shit and stil not close to when I play solo. I have 16 gigs of ram, 256hd SSD, I7 920, NVIDIA GTX 560 TI so is there something i'm not doing right?. Whats weird is that they are using 8 gigs of ram and my CPU is at 40ish% so idk whats making it go so slow.

Neverwinter is not EQ2 and not even from the same studio, you should expect it to run more like Champions Online or Star Trek Online than anything else.

This might help, please use the tools outlined here: HOWTO: Tweak your framerate, Identifying framerate bottlenecks
<<

Sylver

Post Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:46 pm

One of my upcoming guides is about ISBoxer and Neverwinter tweaking. I run my 5-man team on my gaming rig, which is a i5-3570K @ 4.5Ghz, 32GB RAM, 1.5GB Hybrid SSD/HDD, Crossfire 7970 beast, but do most of my testing during the day on my lappy - which isn't fast at all. So I've had to learn how to get the most out of Neverwinter. Lax is right - this isn't EQ2. Neverwinter is much harder on your box than most games - and also realize that it is still in beta (DX11 is a mess) and is likely not yet optimized. I am hoping that after the 20 June release that we finally get an optimized version of the final code.

My quick suggestion is for you to dial down the graphics on all other party members except for your main. Especially the rendering scale - which I have to 50% for party members 2-5. This makes a HUGE difference. With that alone I can go max graphics on my main at 40-60 fps with 4 other chars in the background. Also, I've noticed on my gaming rig that leaving the CPU utilization up to the game gives me 10+ fps over the Round-Robin option of ISBoxer. BUT - that is the exact opposite on my laptop, where the Round-Robin is better. Suggest you try different CPU settings and see if that helps.

The last thing that I recommend is turning off AA completely and take Anisotropic filtering down to 2x. It doesn't look as nice, but it makes a big difference on my laptop.

Hope those tips help! :D
Last edited by Sylver on Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Sylver
<<

zandokan

Post Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:13 am

Sweet thanks a lot for the quick response I will try tweaking it as you said.
<<

Sylver

Post Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:10 am

NP - make sure to let me know how it goes! And if you discover any tips, post them here so others can learn from what you did. :!:

Cheers!
- Sylver

Return to Neverwinter