FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Simple Target Char

Moderator: MiRai

<<

Norrin

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Fri May 10, 2013 11:14 am

Simple Target Char

I have been playing with Neverwinter lately and today have come up with a fairly easy way to target a certain entity (player or companion).
It is based on two console commands: hardtargetlock and target.

HardTargetLock is pretty much what gets toggled when you hold down ctrl. You can force it on by sending a /hardtargetlock 1 command. This will you to lock onto the first person (npc or player) that you target.

Target is pretty does what you think it does. Its targets something by name. However it targets it for like a split second and does not move your cursor to them.
To use it just send a /target <name> (example if I wanted to target my companion Gwenndy I would do /target Gwenndy).

Note that these are not case sensitive so /target Gwenndy and /Target gwenndy with both do that same thing.

To make these work together we can use several aliases.
An alias allows to create a custom command. For example to make /f1 send the hardtargetlock 1 you would use: /alias f1 hardtargetlock 1
Note that the hardtargetlock 1 did not have the / in it.

Putting it all together would be something like this:

--Create an alias for the target lock
/alias f1 hardtargetlock 1

--Create an alias for targetting someone
/alias fA target Gwenndy
/alias fB target Norrin
/alias fC target Shallabal

--Create an alias that combines the lock and target
/alias ftA "f1 $$ fA"
/alias ftB "f1 $$ fB"
/alias ftC "f1 $$ fC"

--Bind a key to target someone
/bind F ftA

So now the f key with target Gwenndy by Cleric companion.

At this point the character should be facing and locked onto the character.
You can then do a follow, assist, or whatever you feel the need to do.

Once done to unlock, if you need to, just do a /hardtargetlock 0

Sorry my not great authoring skills. I am developer not writer.

Hope that helps.
<<

nodoze

Post Fri May 10, 2013 11:30 am

Re: Simple Target Char

Norrin, This a great post and thanks for sharing your knowledge and findings !!! This could be huge for various teams.

After getting your lock, have your found a way to then actually assist the character you have a lock on?

Lax, For examples like the above it would be really good if the author could actually share his/her 'ISBoxerToolkitProfile.XML' file or whatever file(s) we need to upload another person's configuration into our client to study/copy.

Also, thanks Lax for stopping us from having one single thread for everything NeverWinter & for getting us our own Neverwinter Forum!
<<

Norrin

Post Fri May 10, 2013 11:34 am

Too be honest I have not integrated this into ISBoxer yet, when I do I will probably put together a more complete tutorial on it.

There is an /assist command but honestly I have no idea how it works.
I will play with it a little later today after I get some actual work out of the way.
<<

nodoze

Post Fri May 10, 2013 11:38 am

Norrin wrote:Too be honest I have not integrated this into ISBoxer yet, when I do I will probably put together a more complete tutorial on it.

There is an /assist command but honestly I have no idea how it works.
I will play with it a little later today after I get some actual work out of the way.
Awesome. If Lax gives us a way to upload our configs I will try to analyze/debug/implement as well. Unfortunately work is crazy now and I have to work quite a bit even this weekend...
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Fri May 10, 2013 11:58 am

Configuration sharing is built in; sticky at the top of every forum: HOWTO: Share your configuration for better support
Wiki article: Configuration Sharing
<<

nodoze

Post Fri May 10, 2013 12:26 pm

lax wrote:Configuration sharing is built in; sticky at the top of every forum: HOWTO: Share your configuration for better support
Wiki article: Configuration Sharing
Sorry I missed that. After reading the sticky and looking over the "Post A Reply" page carefully I found the "Upload Attachment" button at the bottom of the "Post A Reply" text box. Not sure I will go the private paste route but good to know there are options.

Thanks again for all you do and congrats again on the addition.
<<

Norrin

Post Fri May 10, 2013 1:41 pm

Update:

Neverwinter does not allow aliases to be saved.
Once you log out all your aliases are lost and need to be rebuilt.

However to get around this just edit a key bind.

Steps:
1. Create a bound key (like the F in the original)
/bind F hardtargetlock 1

2. Save the key binds to a custom file.
/bind_save_file binds.txt (this will save a text file named binds.txt to the Neverwinter/Live folder).

3. Edit the Binds.txt file.
I updated the F bind from F "hardtargetlock 1" to F "hardtargetlock 1 $$ target Gwenndy"
Save file.

4. Load new binding
/bind_load_file binds.txt

Now I can happily use my F key to target and lock onto Gwenndy.

This seems to persist between logouts as well.
<<

nodoze

Post Fri May 10, 2013 2:30 pm

Sounds great but not 100% sure I follow. Can you upload your "bind_load_file binds.txt" file?

To upload you can try editing your previous post and then click on the "Upload attachment" tab at the bottom. I see it currently below this window I am typing this post in ("Behind" the Options tab)...
<<

Norrin

Post Fri May 10, 2013 2:38 pm

Here is my binds.txt file:

Shift "(null)"
Joy11 "(null)"
Button4 "+tacticalSpecial"
Joy12 "(null)"
Joy7 "(null)"
Up "+EvaluateLeftClick"
Down "+PowerTrayExec 1"
F "hardtargetlock 1 $$ target Gwenndy"

The last line is the only line from the post.
You will notice I have a Button4 mapped to "+tacticalSpecial" which is normally shift (which is now null). I dont much like using shift for block (or cool rolling).

I also added an Up (which is the up arrow key) and Down (down arrow key). The UP is mapped to the "+EvaluateLeftClick" which is the at will command for Left Mouse.
Down I think I bound to the Daily Power 1 or whatever +PowerTrayExec 1 is.
I was using those to broadcasting to the slaves.
<<

nodoze

Post Fri May 10, 2013 7:49 pm

Norrin wrote:I have been playing with Neverwinter lately and today have come up with a fairly easy way to target a certain entity (player or companion).
It is based on two console commands: hardtargetlock and target.

So now the f key with target Gwenndy by Cleric companion.
Sorry my not great authoring skills. I am developer not writer.
Hope that helps.
Your development, investigation, & writing skills are appreciated & yes I think this is helpful !

I have some follow-up questions.

When you say "by Cleric Companion" above, do you mean the Non-Player-Character (NPC) 'Cleric Companion' you can get at level 16 or do you mean your other Player-Character (PC) Cleric party members that you are running in other ISBoxer windows?

If you are meaning the NPC Cleric Companion can you give more details (as that could be really helpful to be able to direct our NPC companions) ?

Also, I noticed you (and I think another forum member) mention console commands & I also noticed later that it appears you may be using a Joystick. What do you mean by 'Console Commands' ? Are you referring to the little box that comes up when you press certain keys to type chat and various commands or is there something else you all are referring to?
Next

Return to Neverwinter