FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

[Solved] Neverwinter Launcher Crash

Moderator: MiRai

<<

bigenvoy

Post Thu May 09, 2013 5:57 pm

[Solved] Neverwinter Launcher Crash

Edit: Solution: http://isboxer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=3949&p=17142#p17142

I have successfully set up ISBoxer to work with multiple games over the years. I had it running with Neverwinter during one of the closed beta weekends but have not tried since. My hardware and OS has changed since then as well. I updated to ISBoxer 41 today and added the game to Innerspace. Within a few seconds of clicking "Neverwinter Default Profile", the launcher crashes with "Cryptic Game Launcher has stopped working".

I am currently able to launch multiple clients *without* ISBoxer. I had tinkered with some of the graphics troubleshooting sections within the game but I don't believe that would prevent the launcher from starting.

Pretty standard setup: win8 x64, z77 chipset, i5-3570k, 16gb ram, hd7950 gpu.
ISBoxer Diagnostics Report: http://privatepaste.com/deccf5eada

Thanks for your help.

Edit: Here's the Windows Error Message:

Code:
Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:   BEX
  Application Name:   Neverwinter.exe
  Application Version:   2013.3.30.1350
  Application Timestamp:   51575028
  Fault Module Name:   StackHash_c72d
  Fault Module Version:   0.0.0.0
  Fault Module Timestamp:   00000000
  Exception Offset:   PCH_E4_FROM_Neverwinter+0x00280814
  Exception Code:   c0000005
  Exception Data:   00000008
  OS Version:   6.2.9200.2.0.0.256.48
  Locale ID:   1033
  Additional Information 1:   c72d
  Additional Information 2:   c72d3903e5407d3e0382e5fc2efe7046
  Additional Information 3:   bb88
  Additional Information 4:   bb88fe5ca7605535914e110efbcfb34b
Last edited by bigenvoy on Sun May 12, 2013 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Fri May 10, 2013 9:57 am

Re: Neverwinter Launcher Crash

Hmmm.

Unfortunately the exception details are not incredibly helpful in this instance.

To me the only thing that really sticks out is the LucidLogix stuff you have. But I can't say for sure about that... On the other hand, the launcher uses Flash and will be 3d accelerated, and your Intel GPU settings will affect this. A related driver update could also help
<<

bigenvoy

Post Fri May 10, 2013 1:45 pm

This is really strange.

1. I can run multiple clients without Innerspace.
2. Path of Exile, Scarlet Blade currently run fine through Innerspace.

I disabled Lucid Virtu in BIOS, and trimmed the running processes.
I also reset settings in Neverwinter to Defaults.
Here's a new diagnostic: http://privatepaste.com/c6028c86e0

Slightly different crash report:
Code:
Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:   APPCRASH
  Application Name:   Neverwinter.exe
  Application Version:   2013.3.30.1350
  Application Timestamp:   51575028
  Fault Module Name:   StackHash_38d9
  Fault Module Version:   0.0.0.0
  Fault Module Timestamp:   00000000
  Exception Code:   c00000fd
  Exception Offset:   PCH_FF_FROM_ntdll+0x00040F98
  OS Version:   6.2.9200.2.0.0.256.48
  Locale ID:   1033
  Additional Information 1:   38d9
  Additional Information 2:   38d9ec761cde35dc7ff9a3014cbc1e9a
  Additional Information 3:   f212
  Additional Information 4:   f2126b35ab5de9a1c961e83e18b5e24b

Read our privacy statement online:
  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=190175

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
  C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

Will try reinstalling Innerspace & Boxer, and then Neverwinter if necessary. :/
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Fri May 10, 2013 5:54 pm

Okay, that is indeed cleaner, thank you for your efforts on that, I have a hard time getting a lot of people to do that :) Interesting that the Lucid Virtu can be disabled in BIOS, that's not possible with NVIDIA's equivalent. You can probably turn it back on now that you've verified that doesn't correct the issue...

I'm not sure the Neverwinter options will affect the launcher so much. It's possible that a setting for Flash -- maybe even one that you can configure through your browser, e.g. the hardware acceleration setting -- can help. This page http://isboxer.com/rotmg.php has a Flash compatibility tester on it at the bottom, you can use that to mess with Flash settings.

Can you check and make sure there's no Windows Compatibility settings configured on InnerSpace.exe or Neverwinter's launcher exe? e.g. Windows 7 Compatibility, will break it for sure. I don't see the usual indication that a compatibility setting is configured though.
<<

bigenvoy

Post Fri May 10, 2013 11:48 pm

Hmm...

I reinstalled the ISBoxer bundle as well as Neverwinter. I added neverwinter.exe to Innerspace and attempted to launch the default profile with an empty ISBoxer config. Same error. The launcher window never appears.

Flash: I loaded your compatibility tester in both Chrome and IE. Chrome lists render mode as OpenGL and IE uses DirectX11. I'm sure you're aware of this but I do not have Flash installed at all in Windows 8 since it is integrated into both browsers. It just seems that if Flash was not working properly, the launcher wouldn't load in standalone (without Innerspace) either.

I confirmed that NO compatibility settings were enabled for either .exe. My user account is admin. UAC is disabled. DEP is on for essential Windows only. Standard Windows Firewall / Windows Defender only. Drivers are all updated. The only hardware that I don't have much experience with is this Killer ethernet (as well as Virtu).

I'm stumped at this point. I don't understand what could be causing this error for just the Neverwinter launcher. Other launchers work fine and Neverwinter works fine without Innerspace. The launcher normally loads immediately but using Innerspace, it actually takes a few seconds before it crashes. Like I said, no launcher window ever appears. This is a complete long-shot but I've got VS as my JIT debugger. Any chance?
<<

bigenvoy

Post Sat May 11, 2013 1:39 am

Sandboxie? Obviously, I don't run either neverwinter or Innerspace sandboxed. In the previous diagnostic, I had terminated all sandboxie processes but is it possible that it might have changed some access permissions or locked up a few dll's? Or reserved some memory at boot that it's not relinquishing?

Can I rule out win8 x64? and 16GB RAM? Motherboard & GPU are both MSI. If other NW players wouldn't mind posting their system specs, would really appreciate it!
<<

bigenvoy

Post Sat May 11, 2013 9:38 am

Progress! I was able to launch NW using Innerspace by rebooting the PC in Safe Mode with Networking. Not sure best way to go about eliminating suspects... selective startup with msconfig?
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Sat May 11, 2013 10:29 am

bigenvoy wrote:Progress! I was able to launch NW using Innerspace by rebooting the PC in Safe Mode with Networking. Not sure best way to go about eliminating suspects... selective startup with msconfig?

That is interesting indeed, this does suggest that there is a program running when not in safe mode that is interfering. It might be hard to pin down exactly, but I think you're on the right track with selective startup. You can also check out Hijack This! http://sourceforge.net/projects/hjt/ -- make sure to run that as Administrator.
<<

nodoze

Post Sat May 11, 2013 1:17 pm

bigenvoy wrote:Sandboxie? Obviously, I don't run either neverwinter or Innerspace sandboxed. In the previous diagnostic, I had terminated all sandboxie processes but is it possible that it might have changed some access permissions or locked up a few dll's? Or reserved some memory at boot that it's not relinquishing?

Can I rule out win8 x64? and 16GB RAM? Motherboard & GPU are both MSI. If other NW players wouldn't mind posting their system specs, would really appreciate it!
If it helps I haven't had any issues and am mainly duo'ing on an HP Envy 17 3D with AMD Radeon HD 7960M 16GB RAM, i7, Win7x64ultimate. I have launched up to 5 clients though the FPS were too slow to be playable with 5 clients (I was able to create my own guild without help though!).
<<

bigenvoy

Post Sun May 12, 2013 9:34 pm

Lax, your initial hunch was correct! The culprit was Virtu. Although it can be disabled in BIOS, it must be completed uninstalled from the system to fix the access violation errors. Drivers must be virtualizing something with the GPUs even when option is off. However, the game runs fine with Virtu when not combined with Innerspace so... might have to ding a point from IS too. :D

@nodoze: Thanks for your input. During closed beta (which I assume had even worse CPU optimization), I ran 5 clients @ 1920x1200 through an old dual-core e6850 and a GTX 285. It was barely playable for adventuring but was incredibly laggy in town. You should be fine on your system though. Apologies if I'm stating the obvious but besides setting background fps to 10 in Innerspace, you can use IS's Virtual Files feature to create separate configs - one for your main, and one for all of your slaves. With my new system, I will be running my main account at highest settings and absolute lowest settings for my slaves. What you might not have known is that you can get a significant performance boost by adjusting Neverwinter's Video Settings under the Video -> Troubleshooting panel. I'd be conservative tinkering with too many of the options, but the one that is great (especially if you're low on VRAM), is changing the render scale to 0.50. Basically, that renders everything in the game at half resolution - but it leaves all the UI elements intact so it won't affect mouse broadcasting, etc. (Just checked - you don't need to enable Advanced Settings -> Troubleshooting. Just setting the Graphics slider all the way to Speed enables half-resolution).

Return to Neverwinter