FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Can we multi-box the new NeverWinter MMO from Cryptic ?

Moderator: MiRai

<<

nodoze

Post Thu May 02, 2013 3:26 pm

Re: Can we multi-box the new NeverWinter MMO from Cryptic ?

evil wrote:Yeah it seems that the only solution is to not really multibox, but rather run a heal bot... I want to be able to run 3 DPS ( For teaming with a tank + healer or even add thoose at a later stage my self.. ) But we need some proper targeting and assist capabilities before that would be possible. I really hope that they add a so called hard-target, or static target. Since right now, everything is kind of dynamic depending on where your aiming.
While it isn't 2 or more characters in active melee combat I would still consider this duo multi-boxing.

The true Tank/Healer setup with DPSish companions is the way I duo'ed SWTOR to 35. It seemed like companions just don't cut it in SWTOR for being the main tank or main healer so being able to do both in NW is likely key (companions just help some). It is working well thus far though I have concerns about the healer being able to keep the tank targeted for the healing stream & healing spells. If I unlock those and find out whether that works or not I will try to let you all know.

EDIT: The Healer just got the first HoT spell (Healing Word) which heals the Healer & the healer's party target... As I suspected, due to the reticule requirement even for healing, the non-AoE healing is hit-or-miss... While it is hit-or-miss it does appear to be more hit than miss as, when following, you are often close to the tank and the game will orient the healer toward the party character/companion who is nearest to the healers reticule (as long as they are close to the reticule). When no party member is targeted the heal still fires but only heals the healer and not the Tank... Not necessarily a total show-stopper but not as good as I hoped...

I am curious if melees were following the tank if they would begin targeting the nearest enemies with their at will abilities... I did notice while playing that the tank will turn and face/attack anyone near him when I click abilities so maybe others will as well. Figure that may break following requiring switching back and forth between windows (which the healer doesn't have to do).
<<

evil

Post Thu May 02, 2013 5:56 pm

More testing done!

Making basic "macro's" ( binds.. )
press the tilde(usual console button)
write: "Bind <key> <command>
e.x: "Bind L Follow"

when you then press L you will follow your target - thats a step forward! :P
<<

nodoze

Post Thu May 02, 2013 7:06 pm

Lax, I am trying to pass mouse1 and mouse2 to my healer window (2nd window) via keys or mouse clicks in my main window but not having any luck.

Can you see if you can do this in the game or if this is a bug?

I have never done this with boxing other games before but for this game some at will abilities are tied to mouse clicks...

EDIT: I also re-mapped the at will abilities to the f11 & f12 abilities but that also is not working.
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Thu May 02, 2013 7:18 pm

nodoze wrote:Lax, I am trying to pass mouse1 and mouse2 to my healer window (2nd window) via keys or mouse clicks in my main window but not having any luck.

I have never done this with boxing other games before but for this game some at will abilities are tied to mouse clicks...

EDIT: I also re-mapped the at will abilities to the f11 & f12 abilities but that also is not working.

Did you enable "Make game believe it is foreground window" in your Character Set?
<<

nodoze

Post Thu May 02, 2013 8:08 pm

lax wrote:
nodoze wrote:Lax, I am trying to pass mouse1 and mouse2 to my healer window (2nd window) via keys or mouse clicks in my main window but not having any luck.

Did you enable "Make game believe it is foreground window" in your Character Set?
Yes I did that as an assumption from the beginning.

Edit: the servers went down around 8:15cst... Will try to remember to post when back up if I am online.

If you can replicate this in game that would be cool. So far the green "at will" abilities are the only ones I can't initiate in a second window. everything else so far seems great.
<<

Quilo

Post Fri May 03, 2013 6:44 am

I can not get the assist to work.. how did you guys do it?

/Quilo
<<

nodoze

Post Fri May 03, 2013 9:29 am

Quilo wrote:I can not get the assist to work.. how did you guys do it?

/Quilo
I don't think assist can be made to work unless they change things (which they likely won't). You can have auto-follow but the targeting system requires the reticule to be aimed. If you are within a certain distance of mobs the melee characters seem to re-orient for melee strikes and ranged characters will auto-acquire targets is they are within a certain arc of the reticule (maybe ~10-15 degrees ?).

That is why my duo has the tank in the main window and the healer following and focusing on AoEs where possible.

The Cleric AoE DPS/heal helps and since the healer is following the tank the healer has an increased chance of picking up the tank the closer the healer gets to the tank.

Overall the below strategy is working well and I have yet to actually need to pop any portions on my Tank to stay alive and have not wiped at all...

Usually my plan of attack for hard fights is as follows:

- Before big fights, look at small window for the healer and make sure the tank is north of the healer & the healer is facing the tank. Pop the HoT which starts Healing both the Tank and the Cleric over time.

- Immediately run into the hard fight with the HoT engaged and pop the Tank's Taunt/mark/AoE damage burst as he gets in range to the group of Mobs.

- For the bigger fights I often also pop the Tank's daily AoE power at the beginning right after the taunt/mark/AoE to further solidify aggro.

- Tank then begins spaming the at-will AoE cleave as the mobs close in & upon every cool-down uses his biggest lunge strike on the boss to solidify/keep Aggro on all mobs (especially the Boss) watching to block when needed.

- At this point the auto-following Healer is catching up & can safely pop the Healer's AoE Damage/heal burst which gets most everyone (damaging all enemies & healing the Tank/Healer/companions).

- Around this time the Healer's and Tank's companions seem to start engaging but also don't typically get any aggro.

- On the Tank I continue to spam melee AoE cleaves on all mobs and melee lunge/bursts on the Boss & spam the taunt/mark/AoE as fast as I can. If the Tank can stay put the Healer walks up close and I try to refresh the HoT though that can be hit or miss depending on the Healer's reticule (the closer the Healer gets to the Tank the better chance the HoT will land on both of them and not just the Healer). This can be problematic as the Tank is blocking the boss strikes but the healer is also right there and often gets thrown back or down. Ideally the HoT is cast before the boss hits and the Healer at least stays topped off by the Healer's HoTs and AoE bursts.

- If the health of the party is dipping (typically the healer stays full but the Tanks starts dropping if the HoTs are missing the Tank) I then pop the Healer's Daily power which calls down an angel that damages all the mobs, knocks most down, and then heals the party on the way up. In the biggest fights, even with the HoTs & bursts hitting the Tank & Healer I did see them both get below half but the Daily took them both back to full and the fight began to slow down as reinforcements stopped coming & the mobs thinned down.

- For the rest of the fight I keep spamming at will Cleaves on all mobs and on cool down popping the Taunt/mark/AoE & lunges on the bosses (watching to block big hits), & pop the Tank's daily if it has built up and is still needed. I have had fights last long enough to pop the Tanks daily 2 or 3 times and I have finished fights with the Healer's daily recharged and ready but never needed to fire it twice in even the worst fights so far...

One issue that I am still having is that, while the Healer is in the second window, I still can't seem to use any of the Healer's at will powers from the Tank's main window...

Anyway I hope that helps...
<<

nodoze

Post Fri May 03, 2013 9:36 am

nodoze wrote:
lax wrote:

Yes I did that as an assumption from the beginning.

Edit: the servers went down around 8:15cst... Will try to remember to post when back up if I am online.

If you can replicate this in game that would be cool. So far the green "at will" abilities are the only ones I can't initiate in a second window. everything else so far seems great.

Lax, any luck replicating the bug with not being able to initiate "at will" powers on background window(s) from the Foreground/Main window?

Even if we don't have a fix in mind at this point it would be good to at least know that the bug has been replicated and the issue isn't on my end...

By default the green "at-will" powers are bound to the right-mouse & left-mouse buttons but can be remapped to other buttons.

I have tried sending commands for both the default mouse buttons & remapped to F11 & F12 with no success. Note I don't know if F11 & F12 were bad choices and I haven't tried any letter keys or num-pad keys yet...

The servers appear to be back up...
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Fri May 03, 2013 3:53 pm

nodoze wrote:Lax, any luck replicating the bug with not being able to initiate "at will" powers on background window(s) from the Foreground/Main window?

Even if we don't have a fix in mind at this point it would be good to at least know that the bug has been replicated and the issue isn't on my end...

By default the green "at-will" powers are bound to the right-mouse & left-mouse buttons but can be remapped to other buttons.

I have tried sending commands for both the default mouse buttons & remapped to F11 & F12 with no success. Note I don't know if F11 & F12 were bad choices and I haven't tried any letter keys or num-pad keys yet...

I apologize, I do not currently have time to verify this or issue a fix, it will have to wait probably a couple of days. I have a new addition to my family as of this morning and so my time is a little limited! I will get back to you as soon as I can :)
<<

nodoze

Post Fri May 03, 2013 9:57 pm

lax wrote:
nodoze wrote:Lax, any luck replicating the bug with not being able to initiate "at will" powers on background window(s) from the Foreground/Main window?

I apologize, I do not currently have time to verify this or issue a fix, it will have to wait probably a couple of days. I have a new addition to my family as of this morning and so my time is a little limited! I will get back to you as soon as I can :)
Lax. That is great news and congrats ! Take what time you need.
PreviousNext

Return to Neverwinter