FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

auto assist from a menu button

Moderator: MiRai

<<

crookedcross

Post Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:40 pm

auto assist from a menu button

With a Mapped Key I can implement auto-assist with "On Press and Release" checked and step 1 = assist while step 2 = offensive ability.

Is there any way to do the same from a menu button (with a HotKey Set attached) ?
<<

bob

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:56 pm

Re: auto assist from a menu button

Yes.

The Standard Assist + Broadcast button set (this is normally created by the Quick Start Wizard) does it by having 2 actions under the Button.

1st: Do Assist Me in Non-combat Key Map -> self
2nd: 1 -> all

in other words. first action is a Do Mapped Key Action, second action is a Keystroke action, although it could be whatever action you want.

edit:
oh, and the action mode on that particular button set is On Release. I assume that makes a difference.
<<

crookedcross

Post Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:10 am

I am pretty sure I read instuctions from a wiki or something explaining that the assist needs to be in a seperate step, with the offensive ability in step 2 and "On Press or Release" checked. This because multiple actions of a step are all lumped together. I don't remember if the issue was modifiers colliding or ordering or what.

Does this ring a bell, or is my age catching up with me?

I tried as you suggested and it seems to work just fine.
<<

lax

Site Admin

Post Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:42 am

crookedcross wrote:I am pretty sure I read instuctions from a wiki or something explaining that the assist needs to be in a seperate step, with the offensive ability in step 2 and "On Press or Release" checked. This because multiple actions of a step are all lumped together. I don't remember if the issue was modifiers colliding or ordering or what.

That is totally game specific. If you're playing WoW, assist does not need to be in a separate Step. If you're playing SWTOR, separate steps are usually required. Part of the problem for SOME games (including with SWTOR) is that the "Hold" option needs to be enabled for modifiers to be processed correctly by the game; with the Hold option enabled, modifiers would be a problem for anything else in the same Step that wanted to use a different (or no) modifier. Another problem sometimes is needing to do the assist with a 2-button sequence; one to target who to assist, and one to assist your target.

So, right, depending on the game you may not be able to build auto assist into an attack button (regardless of whether that happens to be via a Menu button or not)
<<

crookedcross

Post Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:31 am

Thank you for a detailed explanation.

After personally slogging thru some of the subtleties for just one game,
I can better appreciate the difficulty of building a platform that works for a broad spectrum of games.
My hat's off to you!

Return to Menus