FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

"Do Not Advance" vs. "Mapped Key State Action" for GCD

Moderator: MiRai

<<

Aradar

Post Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:56 pm

"Do Not Advance" vs. "Mapped Key State Action" for GCD

Is there a difference between the two following commands:

1. "Do not advance to the next step for at least 0.1 seconds" on each step of the DPS Rotation and

2. DPS Rotation in Virtual Combat Key Map Off
DPS Rotation in Virtual Combat Key Map On - WoW GCD: in .1 secs.
in each sub step of the DPS Rotation?

I haven't boxed in years and am trying to wrap my head around the timers. I have a couple questions even after reading and watching several posts and videos over and over but I figure this question is a good place to start. I'm currently running 5 rogues just to goof off and my rotation seems to be working but I'm trying to fine tune it and fully understand the new features of ISBoxer.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Edit: I just reread this post where firescue17 stated:
"Do Not Advance" does not work when jumping from Mapped Key to Mapped Key. It order to work around this, I call a Mapped Key "Disable Combat" (Yellow). This Mapped Key turns off the DPS Rotation to the Character for X seconds; however long it takes the Character to complete the action.

Assuming that is correct, option 2 is the only viable option.
<<

bob

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:37 pm

Re: "Do Not Advance" vs. "Mapped Key State Action" for GCD

Pretty much. If you are using a pro-config, with the resulting mapped key chains, then you should use a timer to implement the GCD.
<<

Aradar

Post Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:43 pm

Okay, thanks for the response. I was trying to reduce clutter and changed it, guess I'll change it back.

Edit: I edited this to put the question in a separate topic but bob beat me to the response.

For those reading, my question was what was the purpose of a Timer Pool Reset since the timer has already run its course.

Edit 2: Yeah, I screwed that up, sorry. Was trying to make it a separate topic so others could find it.
Last edited by Aradar on Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
<<

bob

Post Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:01 am

Aradar wrote:As to timers, what is the purpose of the Timer Pool reset? If the DPS Rotation has come back to that step, isn't it because the Timer has reset? Why reset it again?

Correct, it is not really needed in that particular case on your GCD. I guess that firescue17 put them into his config when he was testing it all out, and then it became just part of the process.
The only exception would be if you have multiple points where you could set the GCD Timer, and could end up with multiple active Timers in place (not that you should because your Timers should normally be used for one thing and one thing only).

/e put back your text so my response didn't look strange..
<<

Aradar

Post Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:09 am

Each sub step has the GCD Timer so wouldn't that be multiple points? On the other hand, it can't get activated a 2nd time because the whole rotation is off during that Timer so it's probably not an issue.
<<

bob

Post Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:15 am

A good example might be a LOTRO mechanic.
You can be stunned, but some toons, have a skill which becomes available when stunned, so you can trigger this. It is on a completely separate hotkey for me, and when it triggers, the toon comes back instantly, along with their skill availability. The GCD doesn't apply in this circumstance on the availability of the skill, so I'd reset it to begin with, and then set it after I'd hit the skill.

As to your normal rotation, you're are right in that it is probably not needed, just becomes habitual to put it in really.
<<

Aradar

Post Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:18 am

On a related topic, I read in another post that each set of key maps is unique to the character which makes sense. In my case, I'm running 5 of one class and so only use one set of key maps but they each see the key maps as their own independent of the others. I'm assuming that holds true for the timers as well?

As an example, each of the five characters have an identical buff with an identical timer that is only set up once in ISBoxer. Is this the correct way to do it or do they need their own timers?
<<

Aradar

Post Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:23 am

bob wrote:A good example might be a LOTRO mechanic.
You can be stunned, but some toons, have a skill which becomes available when stunned, so you can trigger this. It is on a completely separate hotkey for me, and when it triggers, the toon comes back instantly, along with their skill availability. The GCD doesn't apply in this circumstance on the availability of the skill, so I'd reset it to begin with, and then set it after I'd hit the skill.

As to your normal rotation, you're are right in that it is probably not needed, just becomes habitual to put it in really.

I don't play LOTRO so I'm probably misunderstanding something but by separate hotkey I assume you mean it's by itself and not part of a rotation. If that is the case, why does it need a timer at all?
<<

bob

Post Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:30 am

Aradar wrote:In my case, I'm running 5 of one class and so only use one set of key maps but they each see the key maps as their own independent of the others. I'm assuming that holds true for the timers as well?
Correct, each Timer is instanced per slot, just like the key maps.

Aradar wrote:I don't play LOTRO so I'm probably misunderstanding something but by separate hotkey I assume you mean it's by itself and not part of a rotation. If that is the case, why does it need a timer at all?
Yes, it is on it's own mapped key, and not part of the rotation. It doesn't need the GCD as such, and the GCD setup doesn't affect it because I don't disable this particular chain, but when you execute the skill in game, the GCD still applies to all skill usage, because, it is the GCD. In this particular example, when I execute this mapped key, I want to cancel any GCD Timer in effect, and set it again.
<<

Aradar

Post Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:36 am

bob wrote:Yes, it is on it's own mapped key, and not part of the rotation. It doesn't need the GCD as such, and the GCD setup doesn't affect it because I don't disable this particular chain, but when you execute the skill in game, the GCD still applies to all skill usage, because, it is the GCD. In this particular example, when I execute this mapped key, I want to cancel any GCD Timer in effect, and set it again.

Sorry, I was thinking spell CD, what you stated makes sense now.

As to the Timer Pool, I don't understand it but if you and fire use them, that is good enough for me. Without the post you two have contributed, I don't think I could have wrapped my head around the Pro Config so thank you for that. In sub steps that have both a spell CD and a GCD, do you reset both Timer Pools?
Next

Return to ISBoxer Pro Configuration