FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Mapped keys & macro questions

Moderator: MiRai

<<

mega

Post Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:25 pm

Mapped keys & macro questions

Hi,

I'm trying to understand how the ISboxer pro configuration works. I went through the tutorial and I got a basic DPS set up working. Currently I'm substantially spamming just keystrokes (btw I'm playing WOW) but I believe that more powerful results can be obtained if I map not a single key but a macro that either contains a "/cast" or "/castsequence" command. I have some questions though:
- is it better to define a macro with a "/castsequence" of spells or
- define one "/cast" spell macro for each spell I would like to use and then combine them in the "Action" of the mapped key?
- if the second option is the preferred one then have I got to define a different key combination for each macro? Isn't that a limitation on the nr of macros I can effectively use considering that many keys and key combinations are already reserved by default?

Thank you for any advice.

G
<<

MiRai

Vibrant Videographer

Post Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:53 am

Re: Mapped keys & macro questions

mega wrote:- is it better to define a macro with a "/castsequence" of spells or
- define one "/cast" spell macro for each spell I would like to use and then combine them in the "Action" of the mapped key?

This is entirely dependent on the spells/abilities (and classes) you're trying to use, and there is no clear-cut answer.

I usually use castsequences on casters since spamming a bunch of keys just ends up spamming the same spell over and over, but on melee I'll usually spam a handful of keys at a time. However, you also have to take into account the abilities that melee classes use which auto-acquire a target. A Warrior's Charge ability will do this, so if you're trying to spam Charge as part of your Warrior rotation you can easily pick up a target from the other side of the room and charge over to it accidentally, rather than just pick up a target that is still part of the pack you're currently beating on. In order to counter this you need to create macros for those single abilities and add /stopmacro [@target,noexists] (or something like that) to the start of them.

mega wrote:- if the second option is the preferred one then have I got to define a different key combination for each macro? Isn't that a limitation on the nr of macros I can effectively use considering that many keys and key combinations are already reserved by default?

On a standard 104-key keyboard, you can assign approximately 700 key combinations:

104 keys without modifiers
104 keys + Alt
104 keys + Ctrl
104 keys + Ctrl + Alt
104 keys + Shift
104 keys + Shift + Ctrl
104 keys + Shift + Alt
104 keys + Shift + Alt + Ctrl

I say approximately because I'm obviously counting six modifiers keys, capslock, tab, escape, and other keys that don't work nicely with modifiers (like certain keys on the number pad) in that 104 total, but it's still probably 600-700 key combinations altogether after we adjust for that, and that doesn't even include right modifiers since, in World of Warcraft, you can actually use right modifier keys within macros.

Regardless, you should be breaking your macros into different class sets, and then only assigning those characters who are that class to those specific macro sets (e.g. you wouldn't assign Shaman spells to a Warrior, or vice versa).
<<

mega

Post Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:09 pm

Thank you very much for the reply. Thinking about it there are a lot of key combinations to use but it just felt weird that assigning one key combination for each macro was the way to go.

I have also a specific question if anyone can help me here or maybe I will repost under the appropriate forum section. I have set up my healing macro and it all works fine. I spam "3" and my Holy Pala heals my Tank (I lead using the tank). Then I wanted to add a modifier to the cast so that when I press SHIFT+3 the Holy Pala heals itself. The macro in WOW is like "/cast [mod:shift,target=player] [] Holy Light" and it works. If I put it in ISBoxer it doesn't work: the Holy Pala still heals the tank with "3" but it does not do anything when I press "SHIFT+3". I have ticked the left shift modifier in the bottom section of the macro but there's something wrong somewhere else I guess. Any idea what could it be?
<<

bob

League of Extraordinary Multiboxers

Post Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:06 am

what are you using as the hotkey for this in ISBoxer?
if the hotkey you are using is 3, and you then oppress SHIFT+3, then ISboxer doesn't use this to trigger the mapped key, and instead it just gets passed through to the active window. If your active windows has no SHIFT+3 macro/bind, then nothing happens.

The "Allow extra modifiers" is normally used in combination with FTL, which is used to determine the various slots, so you could setup a macro, that functions similar to the /assist {FTL} macros. It will not allow you to press SHIFT+3 and trigger a mapped key with a hotkey of only 3.

Return to ISBoxer Pro Configuration